Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The "Living wage" ad
  • stavromuller
    Free Member

Am I being paranoid but I’m seeing it as propaganda rather than public information because I can’t see how all those people can be all happy & smiley about it. It’s more a surviving wage.

mattyfez

I don’t watch tv and you’ve failed to provide any context for your statement.

Care to elaborate?

stavromuller
    Free Member

The first point is, if you don’t watch television, it won’t affect you.
    Second point, there is going to be a living wage that will be statutory so why do we need a tv ad trying to put spin on it? Is that enough or do you need more context?

stumpyjon

It does feel to be more propaganda than political message.

BenjiM

Perhaps it’s to make people aware so they don’t get shafted by their employer?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Second point, there is going to be a living wage that will be statutory

Ooo does everyone else get a parise too?

anagallis_arvensis

Only if you can spell pay

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well that’s my phone out then

anagallis_arvensis

A bad workmen….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One bad workmen?

maccruiskeen

there is going to be a living wage that will be statutory so why do we need a tv ad trying to put spin on it? Is that enough or do you need more context?

Perhaps it helps if people know their rights. Perhaps it also helps if employers know that people know their rights. There have been plenty of instances of employers failing to pay minimum wage so its going to take more than the word ‘statutory’ to ensure a living wages is widely and correctly implemented.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Well you are talking about it so the ad obviously worked 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

Isn’t it all a bunch of arse because all they’re doing is rebranding the minimum wage as the living wage?

iirc the living wage was developed by unions to show the difference between the min wage and the amount you a jelly need to live on

footflaps

The first point is, if you don’t watch television, it won’t affect you.

It’s up on Bill boards all over Cambridge.

Highly political IMO…

binners

Its an exercise in party political propaganda that Goebbels himself would have been proud of. For a start its not a Living Wage as recognised by anyone else other than the Tory Party. Its nowhere near what the unions define as a Living Wage. But it fits in with the (highly effective) philosophy of repeat it enough times and it becomes true. See also:

The economic crisis was caused by the labour party, not the bankers
    Northern Powerhouse

eightyeight
    Free Member

Isn’t it all a bunch of arse because all they’re doing is rebranding the minimum wage as the living wage?

I think it’s going up as well. All this will mean is big companies cutting jobs to hit their budgeted salary numbers – expect to see a lot more ‘self checkouts’ across all retail stores…

5thElefant
    Free Member

/Godwin

Northwind

Of course it’s propaganda, everything to do with the National “Living” Wage is propaganda- it’s not the living wage at all, it’s just a 50p increase to the minimum wage, for people over 25 only because obviously young people don’t need to live. It’s not even linked in any meaningful way to the cost of living. Basically it’s this government summed up in a single policy.

Living Wage is £8.25 per hour, £9.40 in London.

@Binners, 7 DAY NHS.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘The "Living wage" ad’ is closed to new replies.