• This topic has 26 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nickb.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Proviz Reflect360+
  • manvstarmac

Just read this article on the above (scroll ow BMW bike ‘review’) http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/22/bmw-cruise-bike-review

Any one got one?
    Any good?

grahamt1980

Have got the gilet version for running and it is bonkers bright.
    Clearly works too as cars were showing down when passing me and i was on the pavement

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve had one [of the original ones] for a year (maybe 2 now?) and is great gets lots of positive comments from cyclists and motorists alike.

On the breathability now he’s quite right it is sweaty but I’ve never worn a commuting jacket that isn’t.

Oh the pocket zips area a bit small for my fat hands.

dmc
    Free Member

Yep have the gillet very bright reasonably priced only downside a tad sweaty ! But prefer to be sweaty and seen than not seen. I see specialized do a jacket in the same kind of material it’s only £300 !!!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have to admit, I am considering one of those when I am back on the bike and commuting. I’ve never seen anyone wearing one but the pics do make it look BRIGHT. It should in “theory” counteract the SMIDSY brigade.

mcnultycop

I tried a similar one on in evans for about £70. Felt great on, was really trippy to look at in the shop in daylight.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

lol at 15Kgs for that BMW bike !

What’s the + bit after 360, does it reflect into another dimension or something ?

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

+ is for the higher grade fabric increasing breathability

bigdaddy

I saw someone with one of those jackets when I was driving – really impressive brightness. I stopped him to ask about it I was so impressed. Might have to get one…

Northwind

Saw one of these myself last night, it is crazy bright- you could see the jacket floating around like a ghost even where you couldn’t see anything else of the rider or bike. I don’t know if it’s brighter than a quality retroreflective strip or similiar but surface area makes all the difference. And it’s also more the shape of a person which could be good for shape recognition (though, I suppose the disembodied torso thing could be confusing!)

Offroad might not be the perfect demo, it was all bike lights not car lights and against black backdrounds. Still, incredibly bright.

whatgoesup

I’ve been considering one or something similar.

I’d imagine being entirely reflective the lack of any fluoro /hi vis features may make it no do effective in low light rather than dark conditions so I’m looking for more of a combo approach, not seen anything yet though that seems breathable

MoreCashThanDash

I used to pass a lady in one on the towpath most evenings. Shockingly bright reflection off a MaxxD even on low.

The breathability issue puts me off. Have to say that my Altura NightVision kit has caused cyclists and drivers to comment on how bright it shows up, seems to balance sweatiness and brightness at commuting speeds.

grahamt1980

I get the feeling the only time the jacket wouldn’t work is when lights are not on. Otherwise the thing is reflective all the time.
    Not sure though

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve seen quite a lot of proviz in London. And when I say seen I mean SEEN! – easily the most visible clothing IMO.

The downside, of course is it’s designed for full darkness. Daylight it’s less useful and I can’t quite be bothered having kit for daylight and kit for nighttime, especially as one ride can carry across both.

Not quite the same thing but I bought one of these recently, which seems a good combination of hi-vis and reflectivity. Not sure just how breathable, and the fabric is shiny so my bag slips around a bit but overall it seems pretty visible both night and day

Hump Flare

Saccades
    Free Member

Saw a fella jogging along in one of these 3-4 nights ago (mainish road under street lights).

Savage bright, could tell from miles away what it was – now I know the name a gilet version is going on the xmas list.

imnotverygood

Agree that they are great at night, but during a grey winter’s day they are not too visible. I only ever use mine if the ride is going to be in darkness.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I had one of the earlier versions that I had to sell on to my mate for commuting…it’s was way too warm and not vented enough for MTBing, I saw the newer version at the bike show and quite fancied it for night riding. It’s that insanely bright I had car drivers flashing me as the reflection of their headlights was dazzling them. With one of them on and a set of basic lights I honestly don’t think any driver could justify not seeing you.

Kryton57

Agree that they are great at night, but during a grey winter’s day they are not too visible. I only ever use mine if the ride is going to be in darkness.

I had this conversation with Proviz on Facebook. I like flouro for dreary days, and reflectively for night (I’ve ordered an Altura Peleton night vision which has both). Proviz pointed out they have a reversible Gilet for that, but I pointed out I wanted a soft shell I didn’t have to take off.

hardupdad
    Free Member

Have you seen the Sugoi Zap jacket? Goes from black or red or purple to super bright reflectivity and breaths well too. Reflective tape I’m lead to believe doesn’t breath too well.? How the Proviz breath?

benp1

I’d buy something if I found something really breathable

I’m rocking a visijax jacket, in black. Not Hi vis but reflective but built in LEDs. Yellow is an option

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’ve got the Proviz Switch Gilet http://www.evanscycles.com/products/proviz/switch-gilet-ec121390

Best of both worlds in theory , proper bright Hi-viz in day light , then proper glow in the dark on the way home , really makes me feel super visible night & day.

Only criticism , christ it makes you sweat . To be fair , I’ve only had it a month & things have been unseasonably warm.

Will give it another go , now it’s getting cooler.

STATO
    Free Member

Have to agree with difficult to see on dull days, nearly rode out infront of a guy on a roundabout a few weeks back who was wearing all black kit and proviz jacket. In the drizzle and general grey-ness of an industrial estate he was quite difficult to spot, if id had my headtorch turned on the reflective would have caught him but only had my headlight on which obviously wasnt pointed in that direction.

Generally i dont have a problem being spotted at night, its the dusk times that you tend to get poeple not spotting you. Other times its just people not looking at all 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

What’s the cut like on their gilet? See the PixElite one get a “performance” fit.

Anyone tried the overshoes?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Also what are their returns like? I’m tempted to order something but the returns policy seems to only cover exchanging for a different size, rather than just sending back for a full refund.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bump for anyone on their overshoes and returns? Shame they don’t do them at wiggle or CRC.

adam_h
    Free Member

I bought the 360 gilet last year for road night rides during winter. It isn’t breathable so I don’t think I’d be able to wear the jacket. The fit isn’t bike specific but does the job. I usually wear large normal clothes or XL bike wear and the medium proviz gilet fits me without being too baggy.

I think it’s brilliant, I get a lot more space at night wearing it than I ever get during day rides. People seem to pass slower too, even oncoming cars on narrow’ish roads slow down and give plenty of space.

nickb

I’ve got the Switch gilet.

Sizing-wise, I find they fit BIG! I wear a medium in classic Rapha jerseys, but the XS gilet fits me fine.

Sweaty-wise, I do not find it breathable at all, which is a shame. As mentioned above, I’ve not tried it in cold weather, probably down to about 8-10 degrees, but in those conditions its been pretty hot and sweaty.

Nick

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Proviz Reflect360+’ is closed to new replies.