Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • The joy of a pub bike
  • didnthurt

I’ve not had a ‘beater’ for a while but I do have a 6 year old Stooge singlespeed that never gets washed. Perfect for any local trips to the leisure centre, Tesco and anything upto a couple of hours ride.

tthew

Oh FFS – why won’t it post the sodding image?!

Looks like you used the link tool rather than the image one, that looks like a picture of the sun over some mountains.

It’s worth sod all, but had it 25 years from new, so I’d be gutted if it went.

Probably more likely to get nicked out of the shed than outside the local pubs to be fair

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/165VYDC8H5]DSC00402[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

tthew

That’s an absolute beauty. 😍

didnthurt

How’s that Kona in such good nick after 25 years?

I’ve had bikes less than a week old look more worn than that.

Love the green.

gdj001
    Free Member

@zippykona cheers, ordered

zerocool

Some of these bikes look quite fancy. Not sure I’d leave some of them outside a pub round our way.

I have a very tatty Triumph folding bike (think it’s a a Traffic Master from sometime in the 70’s). It’s rusted solid so doesn’t fold anymore but the 3 speed Sturmey Archer gears still work and the 20” whitewall tyres are a bit cracked and balding.

Found in the back of parent’s barn. I think my mum bought it new in the 70s.

No one wants to nick it.

Looks like this bike but imagine it living in a barn for 25 years with no love
    Triumph traffic master

Failing that I have a very tired Diamondback Sorento I bought in 1998 with seized forks, bald and cracking tyres, rusting steel wheels, about 4 of the 21 gears working, lots of rust and barely 1 brake.
    No one even looks at it. To be fair I might stick some old road bike wheels in it and single speed it or turn it into a gravel bike.

didnthurt

That Triumph has a certain charm to it.

lorax

@tthew I should have kept quiet – don’t want competition for a second hand Day One frame!
    Your Trek looks lovely 🙂

That’s an absolute beauty. 😍

Why thank you 😊

How’s that Kona in such good nick after 25 years?

I used to look after bikes 🤣

It’s only been ridden regularly for a short amount of those 25 years, but it earned its stripes – it went down Roych Clough and Jacobs Ladder a couple of times back in the day. The only original components are the frame and those long clear plastic frame protector tubes over the cables on the top tube.

A can of silicone spray does wonders for that fabulous green paint 😉

andeh

Ahhh, g’wan then, here’s the T800, complete with dexion rack bodge and top tube pad (covering what looks like fire damage)

The Lugger

pictonroad

View post on imgur.com

Frame was a tenner on ebay, it had been in a hedge in Surrey for 15 years. All the ancillaries had to be removed with an angle grinder.

Forks definitely the most expensive bit as I became fixated on adapting it to 700c, everything else has been free.

The chain is XTR, liberated from Brook McDonald’s box of post crash spare parts during a particularly drunk Fort William world cup practice day. 😬

It’s actually my ‘everything within 5 miles bike’ so as well as pub trips gets me to work, this one earns money, the rest spend it.

ivantate
    Free Member

I don’t have many pubs around me since moving to the US but my 2008 Roadrat is now the pub bike.

Occasion steel only club runs, rides with the kids, runs to the shops etc..

Bought for about 450 out of the classifieds around 2011, plenty of commuting done and only put on grips, chains, gears and new balls in the rear hub.

Rust, cables outers are split, grips worn through and a brand no one knows.
    Old XT group set and made out of old pipe, it should outlast me.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

I bought my pub bike in the Alps while I was out there kayaking. I fancied a bike ride but hiring a bike was north of 50 euro a day, I picked this Motobecane up on fb marketplace for 40 euro, bought a new saddle from Decathlon to replace the solid plastic one then took it for a spin up the Col du Galibier. The brakes are rubbish so it was pretty scary coming back down!

configuration
    Free Member

Some of these bikes look quite fancy. Not sure I’d leave some of them outside a pub round our way.

I’ll say. My fave local will let you bring your bike in, which is good of them. so being where it is, there’s often a collection of pretty exotic hardware there! Ti and carbon race bikes, custom frames, etc. My bike for locking up outside is a scruffy old Marin hybrid; looks crap, covered in dirt etc, scratched and battered. Has some good parts mind; XTR and Hope hubs, XTR cranks, decent headset, brakes, etc. Runs nicely. That’s the main thing. The philosophy is to lock it up near a much nicer looking bike; they’ll go for that instead. My attitude s that if it’s still there when I come back to it, then it’s a bonus. You cant’ be getting sentimental over a material object. Its paid for itself countless times over, so although I’d be a bit sad if it did get nicked, it’s just a bike at the end of the day.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Love my pub/town/shop/etc bike. Old Specialized Tricross (I think – the SS one they did). Few dents in it and hammerite paint job makes it look about as undesirable as possible with matching (carbon!) fork. Halo SS rear wheel and some generic thing up front, single speed, V brakes, mud guards and On-One OG bars. Keep thinking about chucking a few quid at it like getting a Halo front wheel to match the rear but given I’ve not even cleaned it in about 4 or 5 years of ownership its probably not worth it. Thats not to say I don’t love it though – recently sold my CX bike over this…

thenorthwind

Yup, love my pubc/commuter bike. For the last few years it’s been an old Rudge Bi-frame (full size folder) that I just thought was a great design and bought for £60 off eBay. It’s been folded about half a dozen times. I put drop bars on it and for a while it was a “unique” looking monstercross type thing. Did some big days on the road with slick tyres, and also took it to New Zealand on a work trip and bikepacked down the north island on it, amongst other things.

More recently:

Earning its keep “tidying up” after Arwen (and gaining some firewood in the process):

I’m often tempted to take a nicer bike to the pub, but then I remember that I’ll need to carry a lock, whereas there’s one attached to my pub bike, and find some lights that are charged, and then take them off and carry them so they don’t get nicked, whereas my pub bike has a dynamo, and my nice bike might get nicked…

zerocool

@didnthurt – it was free, pedals ok and no one is going to nick it (cost me 2 inner new inner tubes).

Basically everything I look for in a pub bike. Bike thieves have actually moved it out of the way to steal a few friends’ bikes at least once. And once some yobbos chucked it in a hedge for fun but apart from that it’s been ignored for several years.

thenorthwind

Edit: forgot to paste the images in

20210214-143026

20211129-213506

Also, yes I did weld some disc tabs and a brace on, and yes I did cut out the brake bridge/chainstay braces to fit a 700c wheel in, and no I haven’t got round to finding a 700c fork to go on it, or rebuilding the dynamo into a 700c wheel, so the front is still 26″. Reverse mullet.

Also also, the pannier rack seat reminded me of the time I cut up an old chopper-style My Little Princess kids BSO and fitted the seat to my then pub bike (and in fact, only bike). Much fun was had on the way home from various pubs.

IMGP6261

IMGP6261

MoreCashThanDash

Eldest has just got himself a uni/pub bike today and sent me pics.

From what I can gather, any bike left at the end of the academic year is commandeered by the uni, and then sold at the start of term, as seen, for £20, with a recommendation you get it serviced. (I’m guessing anything remotely decent gets dealt with separately)

Apparently this was the only one in his size with two working brakes. Looked very plain in the pics, been either destickered or painted over, but he sent me close ups later – Nexus 7spd rear hub and dynamo front hub. Gears are a bit sticky but if it’s just a cable needed or something similar, I reckon he’s got a cracking deal there.

zerocool

@MoreCashThanDash – that’s a genius idea. I bet they have literally shedloads of old bikes just dumped there because people are too lazy to get rid of it/take it home.

Much better than dumping them all.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.