Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The iFrank Diet / lifestyle change thread
  • franksinatra

So the NHS website tells me I am obese. Not arguing this and I know that I am a fatty. 99kg, 5’11”.

Started new lifestyle this week. Snacks are gone, fruit is in. Tesco Diet plan meals for dinner (so far, so tasty) No booze during week (not a biggy, I don’t drink much anyway) and no eating the kids food that they leave on their plates. No cheeky bacon rolls from the canteen and vending machine is properly out of bounds

Exercise is combination of Sufferfest and running, x4 per week minimum. I am going to run the Deerstalker in March so have a target.

Keeping a check of things on MyFitnessPal which is showing my calorie intake is now around 1300 per day (before exercise) so hoping to see results soon

Intention is to get down to 85kg, then hopefully below 80kg for the first time since I was a teenager.

That is all!

sadexpunk

good luck mate. 1300 calories is quite low tho!! and before exercise???

TPTcruiser

Good luck. Only 1300 cal intake is a huge crash I would guess from previous levels.
    There must be a fat club coming along soon on STW to measure up against?

mogrim

At that weight I’d be careful with the running – take it easy at first. Good luck though, although I agree 1300 is very low!

zilog6128

Good luck. I did a very similar feat a few years ago, totally transformed my riding (and my life if I’m honest!)

My only advice would be: don’t be afraid to eat more on your training days. The point of exercise is to maintain/increase fitness not to lose weight and you’ll need to replace the calories you use otherwise you’ll soon find it unsustainable. (IMO of course).

franksinatra

I agree calories are low so not afraid of taking on more on training days.

I did the Great North Run last Oct and was fit enough for that (2hr run time) so I know I can build the running up again quite quickly.

Thanks for the wishes of good luck!

wwaswas

Good luck and as above, I’d be careful about cutting back too much on the calories whilst upping exercise significantly and take care with doing too much running too soon.

Jamie
    Free Member

As someone who is on a similar tip, may I suggest quitting booze for the first week, then kill the snacks/overeating from the second.

Too much in one go can be a bit harsh.

andytherocketeer

Tesco Diet plan meals for dinner

have no idea if they are some kind of “lite” ready meal type thing or not (they sound like it), but if they are, compare them to normal equivalents that don’t have diet, lite, 30% less fat, etc. branding. Might actually find they have more fat, salt, sugar, or calories. Several do.

All I’m doing is forcing myself not to eat cake every day with my afternoon coffee.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Good luck.
    You might want to check a few things
    Fruit is not a good idea-it is full of sugar.
    Check the ingredients of the Tesco diet meals- they may have more sugar than you think
    If you are serious think about cutting out alcohol (at least for a while) altogether not just during the week
    Calories isn’t the big deal its carbs and sugar- the things that cause insulin spikes.So avoid fruit juices and fizzy drinks. Ideally stick with water and herbal teas. Stay away from dairy, bread, potatoes.
    Your targets should be readily achievable and it doesn’t need to be too painful.

zilog6128

lol, purposefully didn’t mention fruit or the diet meals as I didn’t want to get drawn into another STW diet thread! I’m sure OP is making enough positive changes enable him to lose weight anyway!

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup good luck

And as above take it easy with bread and fruit and calorie fixation.

If the food is processed choose something else

grow your own veg if poss

maccruiskeen

Tesco Diet plan meals for dinner (so far, so tasty)

Just learn to/ decide to cook instead.

I thought that was the most interesting thing about the STW/iDave was the regime ruled out ready-meals by default (it actually deleted most of the isles of the supermarket from your shopping trip). It revealed that a lot of the iDieters, who probably thought they were adults up to that point, couldn’t/didn’t cook and what they’d thought was cooking ’til them was really just warming things up.

chojin
    Free Member

I’ve found a brilliant diet, I’ve lost 10lbs in about 10 days.

Unfortunately you’re going to need to spawn your own child for this (ours arrived on New Year’s day)
    Its bloody effective though!

Tiger6791

Tesco Diet plan meals for dinner (so far, so tasty)

Not sure these are ready meals

Think these are healthy meals you make from ingredients bought at Tescos

Wait to be corrected

wwaswas

you’re going to need to spawn your own child for this.

10 days?

My wife managed to lose 8lb in about 20 minutes when she had a baby!

molgrips
    Free Member

fruit is in. Tesco Diet plan meals for dinner

FAIL

Go on 4oD and look for lats night’s episode of Food Unwrapped. Seriously – really important stuff in there.

chojin
    Free Member

Not a bad effort wwaswas 😉
    Whilst I can’t compete with that, I have just completely lost my appetite.

Jamie
    Free Member

Right. We got Molgrips. All we need is Solo, TSY’s 17th login and it will be like old times.

…on a serious note, I lost a decent amount of weight calorie counting, which included eating some of Tesco Light range and fruit. Just made sure I had a calorie limit and stuck to it.

franksinatra

The Tesco thing is not ready meals. It is a menu of healthy meals that i prepare from fresh ingredients. So last night I had spicy pork chop, salad and sweet potato. Spare pork now sliced and in a wholemeal pitta with salad for lunch.

Will be, and always have, stayed well clear of ready meals.

Thanks for the pointers on alcohol as well but this really isn’t a big deal for me as I probably only drank equivalent of 2 – 3 glasses of wine per week anyway. Therefore it is not really a case of cutting down rather than just stopping an already tiny amount.

Main thing for me is no longer snacking, eating the kids food or massive meals

franksinatra

FAIL

Go on 4oD and look for lats night’s episode of Food Unwrapped. Seriously – really important stuff in there.

Fail right back at you, I’m not buying ready meals!

kastle
    Free Member

I’m running the Deerstalker in March for the second time. Guaranteed to lose a good few pounds during that, as well as your dignity unfortunately 😐

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Nice one Frank, and good luck.

Yep, cut out the “in betweenies” , don’t buy biscuits and cakes, eat healthy and exercise, and you’ll be reet.

Tiger6791

Looks like a very sensible and good idea, go for it! 😀

Hope it works

brassneck

Fail right back at you, I’m not buying ready meals!

May have been referring to fruit. Too much sugar and all that.
    Don’t see many fatties tucking into fruit myself but there you go.

Good luck, I reckon you’ll have a better time of it on 2000 a day and looking longer term. Treat yourself to a new vomit bucket for Sufferfest 🙂

BoardinBob

Tesco Diet plan meals for dinner

Ditch them and eat proper food.

EDIT: Just read your comment about the Tesco meals, so ignore that.

2 years ago I went from 220lbs to 168lbs at my lightest though that was hard to maintain and I’m at a more sensible 180lbs just now. I did it through tons of exercise and a super clean diet. The mantra of “move more and eat less” is nonsense. It should be “move more and eat more good stuff”. My initial weight loss was slow. I kept a food diary and showed it to my coach who said I was eating far too little for the amount of exercise I was doing. Cut out all crap processed food. My rule of thumb was not to eat anything from a packet that contained more than one ingredient. Make everything fresh from ingredients I put in it.

dmorts

The Tesco thing is not ready meals. It is a menu of healthy meals that i prepare from fresh ingredients. So last night I had spicy pork chop, salad and sweet potato. Spare pork now sliced and in a wholemeal pitta with salad for lunch.

Nice one.

One down side of cooking properly (and a plus of ready meals, as long as you just eat one at a time) is portion control. Make sure you don’t over do portions when cooking yourself… weigh/measure everything, including sides like potatoes, roughly at least

core

So according to MikeWW you shouldn’t eat:

Dairy
    Bread
    Potatoes
    Fruit
    Fruit Juice

So, what do you recommend?

MikeWW
    Free Member

So according to MikeWW you shouldn’t eat:

Dairy
    Bread
    Potatoes
    Fruit
    Fruit Juice

So, what do you recommend?

There is lots of conflicting advice about and form your own opinion but where I got to was that essentially you are aiming for low sugars/low carb food/drinks.

So breakfast
    Bacon and egg

Lunch
    Fish/eggs/Meat(unprocessed) plus as much sald and vegetables as you want

Dinner
    Fish/unprocessed meat plus vegetables. I tend to use roasted parsnip battons instead of chips.Use brown rice where you are going for more concentrated carbs.

If I am riding hard I will have a banana ( about 30g of carbs 90 mins in to the ride)but not at other times.

Drinks water and green tea. 1 cup of coffee a day.

maccruiskeen

Make sure you don’t over do portions when cooking yourself… weigh/measure everything

try and make things easy though. You can weight everything or…. just not eat a meal that you couldn’t fit in your cupped hands.

Modern crockery is very big – bigger than it appears so we inadvertently serve ourselves very big portions. I’ve got some modern plates and a set from the 1950s. The modern ones are only an inch or so bigger in radius but that means a much bigger surface area and they hold nearly double the amount of food (as an illustration a 12″ pizza is nearly double the amount of food of a 9″ pizza)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

fruit piles on pounds with me.

sad to say though weight loss, and keeping it off, is a long winded effort and constant work.

whats helped me massively in the last year is joining my local tri/running club. gives me great motivation to get out when its dark and horrid, and maybe it sounds crazy but i keep it up not so much to train for races but so i can go play with the club more.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Good luck franksinatra! 1300 sounds insanely low though.
    My thoughts would be work out what time it took you to go from 85 to 99, then take that amount of time to get back. Dropping down to 1300 sounds
    a)tough to maintain
    b)won’t get you used to how much food you should normally be eating.

dmorts

Make sure you don’t over do portions when cooking yourself… weigh/measure everything
    try and make things easy though. You can weight everything or…. just not eat a meal that you couldn’t fit in your cupped hands.

If you quoted me fully I actually said

Make sure you don’t over do portions when cooking yourself… weigh/measure everything, including sides like potatoes, roughly at least

E.g. measuring potatoes could be as simple as knowing that 3 or 4 of what you normally buy is a sensible portion. The same can be done for rice, find a cup that measures the right amount, use that. Pasta is the only thing I actually weigh as it varies in shape, e.g spaghetti, penne etc.

Solo
    Free Member

Right. We got Molgrips. All we need is Solo, TSY’s 17th login and it will be like old times.

Thing is, if TSY can’t reveal his new ID, then its pointless. He’s a strange little tinker. He chose to piss about, rather than try to help. But hey ho, its only STW.

Theres a multitude of techniques for managing body fat, ranging through diet, exercise, even surgery. However, the underlying biology of how the human body partitions energy, creates and stores fat is the same for almost all of us 😉

Now throw in differing ages, body types, activity levels, anecdotal proof and it all descends into the usual list of claim, counter claim, myth and old wives tails.

So, just get out there and do something, if it pleases you.

** wonders about Tesco ready meals and the memory
    capacity of the public with respect to horse meat **

*** awaits the recommendations for the book racing weight ***

🙂

franksinatra

For anyone still confused about the tesco thing, I am not eating ready meals or horse meat! I am eating healthy meals from recipes suggested by tesco. As it happens, the ingredients all came form sainsburys this week.

Meals I am cooking are here

tesco healthy recipes

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

racing weight is a great book. ; )

for what its worth i can talk from the persepective of being way overweight, yet active, all my adult life. blaming ‘big bones’ and ‘slow metabolism’ and all that.

at 16st10, wearing xxl and breathless trying to put on new wetsuit boots after a lunch of cheese on toast, i realised it was time to sort it. thanks to stw fat club that year i did, and 4 or so years on i’m still managing my weight (generally mid – high 11st) and learning more about it.

there is tons of advice, i’d say a lot on swt is really helpful, but you’ve got to find what works for you between the idaves (i like a lot of idaves recomendations) and the fasts and the goodness knows what else. i guess my regular day to day food is really boring, but it works for me. and as i say, i’m still learning.

if i can just keep off the biscuits that is!

footflaps

if i can just keep off the biscuits that is!

I plan to stop once I finish all the boxes I received for xmas.

I also received my own body weight in Green and Black’s chocolate, so it may be some time…..

Solo
    Free Member

I am not eating ready meals or horse meat! I am eating healthy meals from recipes

Great ! according to some folk, home cooking is the way forward. Like back in the days when the only fat people you knew of, where in books.
    (it was a long time ago)
    🙂

Solo
    Free Member

racing weight is a great book

I finished reading the second edition, last week. I’m afraid I can’t entirely agree with you there.

It may be ok for elite level / world class athletes (Molgrips ?) but for the average Joe who sits at a desk, hammering a keyboard, 5 days a week. I’m not really convinced by its advice.

Basically, the racing weight method is ok if you’re going to ‘train’ everyday and go hard. Then you can plough through the huge quantity of carbs advocated by the author who is a journalist, part time radio and TV commentator. Who’s reasoning is that if you eat AND train like a world class athlete. Then you’ll end up looking like one.
    Errr.

EDIT:
    but you’ve got to find what works for you
    I agree.
    🙂

ChrisS
    Free Member

Calories aren’t the problem….

http://thecaloriemythbook.com

Quick Start Guide

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘The iFrank Diet / lifestyle change thread’ is closed to new replies.