Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • The Hobbit
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

48fps is just the frame rate, and only the 3d version. There’s rumblings that its caused a few issues around the country and that it has made a few people sick!!

HFR (48fps) is available in 2d and 3d.
    Apparently it improves 3d, but we shall see.

It makes sense in theory, but the fact no one is used to it will make it seem odd.
    If it catches on it will become the norm and anything shown at 24fps will look bad.

dropoff

Well we’ve just got back from watching this and quite frankly I feel exhausted, never have I seen so much fighting in such a short space of time. I guess theyre setting the scene in this one but it did feel very bleak 🙁 Hopefully thats the worst over with !!

slimjim78
    Free Member

i wish that they managed to complete the lord of the rings animated film (from the late 70’s i think).they ran out of money (they only got as far as the middle of the first book i think).i really enjoyed the film when it was on channel 4 back in the late 80’s.

Boom! You are bang on the money. The Ralph Bakshi version was much darker in parts, and the humour was much more subtle. And John Hurt’s voice for Aragorn for goodness sake!
    I’d love to have seen it finished, I think Warner Bros pulled Pt11 as Pt1 only received luke warm praise.

I still see Bakshi’s Gollum when I watch Jacskons.

Both versions dropped Tom Bombadil. I wonder why?

thorlz
    Free Member

i wish that they managed to complete the lord of the rings animated film (from the late 70’s i think).they ran out of money (they only got as far as the middle of the first book i think).i really enjoyed the film when it was on channel 4 back in the late 80’s.

I agree, I think they reached the middle of the two towers, just before the battle of helms deep if I recall.

Fantastic animation, better than the films in my opinion

Junkyard
    Free Member

3 films from the prequel

Jackson is George Lucas and he claims £5 from all of you each year for life without actually delivering very much

Like LOTR [ read all books obviously] but there is no way the Hobbit story is 9 hours / 3 films long.

lambchop
    Free Member

Good call re the Ralph Bakshi LOTR. Saw it at the flicks when I was 9. Ralph Bakshi did the 1960’s animated Spiderman cartoons too (fookin’ loved them as a kid, still do as it goes!)

bikeind
    Free Member

Boom! You are bang on the money. The Ralph Bakshi version was much darker in parts, and the humour was much more subtle. And John Hurt’s voice for Aragorn for goodness sake!

+2 far better than jacksons,
    jacksons was no where near as dark enough and sam gangee annnoying,long drawn out scenes in pt3 with frodo and sam.
    silly dwarf and elf antics etc, i could go on and on,

the hobbit hmmm 3 parts will be worse without doubt.

RustySpanner

Just got back from the flicks:

dropoff – Member

Well we’ve just got back from watching this and quite frankly I feel exhausted, never have I seen so much fighting in such a short space of time. I guess theyre setting the scene in this one but it did feel very bleak Hopefully thats the worst over with !!

Well, I enjoyed it, but I know what you mean.

It’s a great film, but it’s not The Hobbit as I remember it.
    Deliberately not re read the book before seeing the film as I didn’t want to be overly picky.

Glad I didn’t.

Lot’s of additional bits, some bits glossed over and some bits completely changed, including one bit which I thought was pretty important, but no spoilers here.

Effects and acting are suberb – even James Nesbitt is tolerable – he should play dwarves more often.

Fight scenes are ott and some of the additional plot devices are a bit creaky.

Andy Sirkis steals the show, tbh. The scenes with Gollum and Bilbo are the best thing about the film.
    Martin Freeman is excellent and Sylvester McCoy should appeal to younger kids.

Feels like they’ve gone for action over substance a bit, but I guess it’s aimed at a much younger audience than LOTR.
    Misses the simple story telling of the book really though – I think I’d have preferred a straight retelling of the story.

Watch it in 3D if you get the chance – it works well – first 3D film I’ve seen at the pictures and it’s excellent.

colournoise

slimjim78 – Member
    I still see Bakshi’s Gollum when I watch Jacskons.

From the way he moved for the mocap stuff for Gollum, I reckon Andy Serkis must also be a fan of the Bakshi film.

Cougar

And John Hurt’s voice for Aragorn for goodness sake!

I never knew that, and even now having not seen it in decades, I still remember it well enough to think “oh gods, of course it was!” Nice one.

mafiafish
    Free Member

As a LOTR geek I like the fact it’s fleshed out a bit but can see why some might find it a bit repetitive. I like the fact they’ve included a decent amount of humour into the film as it’s a much more light-hearted story than LOTR.
    I do agree that some of the changes make little sense – Azog/Bolg being one and having a major antagonist being CGI is a bit pants but I guess there would be no other way that would look any better.

I watched it in 2d 24fps. Some bits, particularly in the Mines of Erebor at the start and goblin town I would have liked 48fps, lots of detail lost in blur with such geometric scenes.

CountZero

Saw Bakshi’s film when it came out, was always sad that it never got finished. Saw his Fritz The Cat around then as well, excellent animation, too.
    Enjoyed LOTR, but I won’t be bothering with the Hobbit. Read it and LOTR when I was a teen, and enjoyed them then, but I prefer my fantasy to be rather more… urban these days, I guess you could say.

tyger
    Free Member

Saw it last night – really enjoyed it in 3D

Not read the book so can’t comment on the accuracy but as a film in it’s own right I thought it was great – stunning cinematography too! 🙂

RustySpanner

Ah, give the book a go, it’s excellent.
    Full of that sense of wonder you only get from the best books aimed at a younger audience.

Mafiafish, I’m in two minds.
    I liked the bits added from the appendices and they were very cleverly integrated.
    I think the trilogy as a whole will be an excellent prequel to LOTR and I’m dying to see what he comes up with for the next two episodes.

I’d still like to see an edited version which simply follows the narrative structure of the book though.

Do you think Ken Stott’s nose deserves it’s own credit? Couldn’t stop staring at the thing.
    Thought Dame Edna was excellent. She’s put a bit of weight on though.

Cougar

Interesting review from SFX, addresses a lot of the points raised here.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/12/10/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-review/

frogstomp

Apparently the films are so long because most of the dialogue is very repetitive, along the lines of:

Open door.
    <the door is locked>
    Use key.
    <how do I use key?>
    Use key to open door.
    <you don’t have the key>
    etc etc.

Apparently the graphics are somewhat improved though!

Cougar

stevomcd
    Free Member

+1 re. Ralph Bakshi version of LOTR. Much, much better script and a lot fewer clanging departures from the books. Somehow managed to have more gravitas despite being animated.

Some stunning cinematography in PJ’s version, but script and characterisation painfully clunky.

Sam Gamgee was annoying in both though.

“Your legs are too short so use your head!”.

nomakoman
    Free Member

HFR (48fps) is available in 2d and 3d.
    Apparently it improves 3d, but we shall see.

It makes sense in theory, but the fact no one is used to it will make it seem odd.
    If it catches on it will become the norm and anything shown at 24fps will look bad.

I should point out….http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film/hobbit_HFR

not that i would know these things 😉

auckland
    Free Member

After spending time at the Hobbit set I can’t wait to see it. What a magical place.

http://www.outdoorphotography.co.nz/tourism-new-zealand-john-key-green-dragon-opening-hobbiton/

RustySpanner

That SFX review is spot on.
    Thanks for the link.

jekkyl

Slimjim78

Both versions dropped Tom Bombadil. I wonder why?

Although the character doesn’t appear his words become part of treebeards rant.

They come with fire, they come with axes… gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning. Destroyers and usurpers, curse them.

lambchop
    Free Member

Back from the flicks. Liked lots and lots about the film BUT Peter Jackson is taking the p*ss with great swathes of it. At least George Lucas invented Star Wars so therefore Jar Jar was his call. PJ is fracking with a very treasured story.

chewkw
    Free Member

Should I watch it free 3 years later? :mrgreen:

hammerite
    Free Member

Just been to watch it with the kids. We all liked it, but I just felt it was a bit too long. Unlike the LOTR films where the time flew, I got to a point where I thought, can’t be long left now….. looked at watch and we were only 90 mins in. The way they’ve done it it would probably suit a kids mini series on TV than a film.

slackalice
    Free Member

3 films for the hobbit??….. Taking the piss and the $

No Tom Bombadil in LOTR?…. Missed the point.

I’m out

cynic-al
    Free Member

Loved the Hobbit and LOTR when I read them around 10-13 IIRC?

Kids stuff and interminably dull to me 30 years later though, perhaps I have lost my imagination.

Duggan

1/3 so I’m out, can’t be **** with that. Loved the book when I was younger as well.

Euro
    Free Member

Just back. Really enjoyed it but it did drag in places – prompting the dreaded arse shuffle from about half way through. There’s more than enough hack ‘n’ slash to make up for it though, and i’m looking forward to seeing what’s next.

The 3D works so well with the HFR that it makes some of the effects look poor. Must be a pain for the artists as i’m sure it looks great in ordinary 2d. Some of the action scenes (underground bridge fight) really suited this style, but watching the non-action stuff was like watching a play rather than a movie. It just looks odd. Real life depth perception isn’t that clearly defined, so the ‘layers’ are less distinguished. There is a hint that you’re more ‘in’ the scene but this technology might be better suited in a more realistic ‘acty’ film (the original SAW springs to mind for some reason).

I’ll go and see the next two, but i’ll stick with good old 2D thanks and keep the special glasses for Pixar style stuff.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just come back from watching the Hobbit and spent most if the film looking for the best MTB lines through the route they were taking

roady_tony
    Free Member

I enjoyed it, in 2D, but i thought the pan & motion scenes were quite juddery – not sure if it was anything to do with watching it at a normal 24fps and 2d, for a 3d 48fps film, or if it was just the way it was, but it actually made me feel tired watching it!!!

…and the fight scenes seemed overly cgi’d and engineered…

i really enjoyed the bilbo/gollum scene – the best of the film i thought.

only really grated me was the 3 trolls, dunno why, just did!

overall though 8 out of 10.

oh, anyone else thing bilbo/ian holm’s voice was quite different than the LOTR version??

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘The Hobbit’ is closed to new replies.