Viewing 37 posts - 201 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • The Greatest Album of the 1980’s
  • tjagain

otherjonv – compared to Sly and robbie? Lee perry? Beatles? Clapton? Bowie? Marley? Fela Kuti? Miles davies? these people changed the world of music forever.

Racism accusations is a bit over the top ” shocked picachu face”

Edit : Oops first post at the top of the page. Not a good look.

sc-xc

All UK or US and only a couple of non white artists represented

I just looked at the top 100 list, saw Lauryn Hill, Stevie Wonder, Public Enemy, Wu Tang, Massive Attack, Prince, Miles Davis, Nas, Kanye West…

How many of you have even heard Fela Kuti for example?

I’d imagine most of us have. He’s played on 6 Music all the time.

tjagain

Exactly my point. to use the NME as a reference for what is the best is only looking at a very narrow range

Binners. I spent 5 months in south america in 1990 and never heard anyone mention the smiths

SCXC – a differnt list – its was the current NME staffers list I was referring to

sc-xc

^ I looked at the link posted on last page…

theotherjonv

All the artists you have mentioned have brought something to the genre of modern music, but I believe the Smiths sit in there with them. The fact they were only around for 4 years give or take, and yet are still influential and discussed nearly 40 years later, indicates their importance,

Racism accusations – no, I stop short of that but to dismiss a very influential artist as being only for depressed white boys is starting to head that way. Even if tongue in cheek. Would you say for example that rap is only for black american drug dealers, in a tongue in cheek way?

binners

Binners. I spent 5 months in south america in 1990 and never heard anyone mention the smiths

Well that’s that cleared up then. Case closed.

the-muffin-man

And I’ve never heard of Fela Kuti!! 🤣

The Stone Rose were overated.

And it was teenage girls who idolised The Smiths at our school! 😀

tjagain

And now I can’t get the quote thingy to work. Back to my TV dinner in my bedsit after I get it working

slowoldman

that there is a huge spectrum of music not represented in these lists.

Yes I managed to resist posting classical albums.

binners

Jive Bunny bought pleasure to millions yet are inexplicably overlooked

theotherjonv

formulaic rubbish, nicked from Hooked on Classics and updated

kelvin

And I’ve never heard of Fela Kuti!!

Get listening then! That’s the beauty of these threads… checking out recommendations not just the warm hug of remembering your own favourites. Anyone who’s not read this thread and then checked out stuff like The Chameleons album are missing out. Although TJ is being lazy not naming an actual album from the 1980s. I can’t help… all the Fela Kuti classics were in the 1970s, in my opinion.

tjagain

I checked – the albums I mentioned were 1980 ( no don’t start the debate over whether 1980 is in the 80s again)

If I was allowed a 79 album I would have had the Specials. Now they shook up music 🙂 I was a big metal fan until I heard the Specials and they changed my world 🙂

Edit – I think yo are right about Fela Kuti. his best work was in the 70s. I mentioned him as the type of influential artist often ignored

ransos
    Free Member

Merak – how can ( for example) anything from the the Smiths be considered great albums? Objectively its depressing teenage poetry coupled to exactly the same jingly jangly guitar every song.

Objectively, your opinion is just that.

tjagain

Yup

Whats that saying – opinions are like……..
    🙂

kelvin

If I was allowed a 79 album I would have had the Specials.

The concept of this thread seemed incredibly simple to me!

binners

Whose this Freddy Cutie bloke anyway?

theotherjonv

trying to get back on track

Get listening then! That’s the beauty of these threads…

Agreed. And if you’ve never heard The Queen is Dead start there because it is, definitively, the greatest album of the decade 😉

binners

And somewhat prophetic for this year…

tjagain

Is that an order jonv? suppose I’d better. 🙂 Its decades since I heard it

theotherjonv

No, I forbid you to.

Listen to The Bug Club instead.

binners

Can I just add at this point… what a time to be alive!

Due to the wonder of streaming I went through this thread last night and banged on a load of albums I’d not listened to for years, or at all

From that i reminded myself that Talk Talk are incredible and years ahead of their time and Welcome to the Pleasuredome is a superb album!

ransos
    Free Member

Agreed. And if you’ve never heard The Queen is Dead start there because it is, definitively, the greatest album of the decade 😉

I said Stone Roses, but despite being released in 1989, it’s a 90s album really. Which brings me back to TQID.

fasthaggis

So many big things happened in my life during that decade it’s impossible not to time travel when I hear tracks from many of those listed albums,and it will always make them the most special(to me).
    So cheers OP I have my Sunday night playlist sorted.
    Oh, and just to add some more to the list 🙂
    High Land Hard Rain – Aztec Camera
    Eden – EBTG
    Hats -Blue Nile

johnx2
    Free Member

there is a huge spectrum of music not represented in these lists.

For sure. I should probably have posted something obscure, or I dunno, sign o’t times, or whatever was spending time on my turntable/cassette player. Instead of what I actually listened to most and was just a massive thing at the time. But yeah, didn’t take too many years for it to become very clear that the stone roses were not actual messiahs.

binners

But yeah, didn’t take too many years for it to become very clear that the stone roses were not actual messiahs

But it took Covid to truly highlight that Ian Brown is an absolute bell end, ironically joining one our other main 80’s protagonists – Morrisey – on the ‘he’s said what now?’ List 😂

TiRed

And my other 80’s go to album I still listen to regularly…

The Colour of Spring by Talk Talk.

The two (Dare being the other) are just magnificent works and I keep going back to them.

footflaps

No Def Leppard?

My most listened to Album of the 80s is Hysteria…

Or possibly No Jacket Required – one of those two.

binners

So, this Fred bloke invented a haircut?

pandhandj
    Free Member

Decided to join in…

Based on what I listened to most during the 80’s, apologies if already mentioned –

New Order, low life

Beastie Boys, license to ill

kelvin

There are Low Life related tracks coming out at the moment, in the lead up to a box set thing.

chakaping
    Free Member

Same Old Scene by Roxy Music

Have a listen to The Glimmers’ remix of this if you haven’t heard it, they turn it into an absolute anthem.

Coyote
    Free Member

JuJu – Siouxsie and the Banshees. Complete brilliance from start to end.

Bowie’s Scary Monsters also worthy of inclusion in this list.

Off the back of this, I’ve just listened to Money For Nothing (yeah it’s a greatest hits basically) front to back in hi res through the headphones, rather than Brothers in Arms

Whatever you think of the songs lyrically and stylistically, Knopfler is brilliant and the guitar playing, production and general aural experience is second to none

wordnumb
    Free Member

The Stone Rose were was overated.

ftfy, hth. (smiley)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Queensryche – Operation Mindcrime
    Steve McQueen – Prefab Sprout
    Magnum – Storytellers Night
    Marillion – Seasons End

Viewing 37 posts - 201 through 237 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.