Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • The Gower…
  • the-muffin-man

…nightmare in the summer – or bearable!!

The wife wants to go camping for a week starting the Sat before August Bank Holiday – I’m not so sure!

Any advice greatly received.

Ta!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Beautiful! Go there!

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice.

Although, personally I’d rather go a bit further west – Tenby, or Amroth, that kind of area. Just as pretty but there’s more of it and the people are better spaced 🙂

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Its ‘Gower’ like ‘Wales’ not ‘The Wales’ but we’ll let you off 🙂

And better than bearable, recommended

We go most years, these days more for long weekends.

Surprisingly beautiful given proximity to Swansea 🙂 Fabulous beaches large and small with surprisingly tons of space, surfing too. Some great riding (family and ownsome) (come back for routes if you need them).

Plenty to do on wet days (eg L2), nice restaurants for days out.

Which camp site were you looking at?

jimster
    Free Member

Avoid Llangennith/Hill End, nice to camp near beach BUTthe world and his mother camp there, and the Kings Head has a captive audience.

Tip stay in-land, and head over to King Arthurs Hotel Reynoldston(sp)

Beautiful…

+1 for King Arthurs Hotel

the-muffin-man

Which camp site were you looking at?

Don’t know any yet, I’ll start looking properly tonight – can you recommend any?

We’d need leccy hook-up, and not too far from the coast.

Tim, that photo was taken from the campsite….

molgrips
    Free Member

Three Cliffs Bay, that is.

The problem I have with (the) Gower is that there’s not a lot of it.. choice is much more limited than down the road a bit in Pembrokeshire I reckon.

clubber
    Free Member

AnalogueAndy – Member
    Its ‘Gower’ like ‘Wales’ not ‘The Wales’ but we’ll let you off

Funny, my mate who grew up there always calls it ‘The Gower’…

Beautiful area – I used to go riding there for weekends with said mate and always had a great time.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve always called it The Gower, but i think because we were referring to the Gower peninsular and it just gets truncated.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, always “The” with us too. It’s lovely there, but I’m with Molly in saying that there’s just not enough of it (like that’s the world’s worst complaint 🙂 ) and that a bit further west, you have one of the finest counties in all the country in Pembrokeshire (just don’t tell anyone).

Hmmm…somebody’s going to tell me soon that (The) Gower is in Pembrokeshire…anyway, you know what I mean. 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hey! The Gower is in The Pembrokeshire

greeng
    Free Member

Agree about Pembrokeshire – St. Davids and Whitesands Bay are obvious destinations, but top class, and there is always plenty to do. Barafundle, Monorbier, Solva etc. – all worth a look.

Anyone been camping at Ty Parke?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hey! The Gower is in The Pembrokeshire

*High fives CM…* 🙂

EDIT: Finally got round to googling it – it appears it’s in the City and County of Swansea, which is news to me.

santacoops
    Free Member

Gower is a town down there, The Gower refers to the peninsula, its a bit of a Welshism as well as easy to say. (I’m from there so no come backs and what i say is final so thats it so there!)

davidjey
    Free Member

Do it. Certainly bearable – it’s not like Brighton (or even Mumbles!) on a hot summer weekend, ie it may not be big but it’s isolated enough that it’s never heaving. In fact you get used to a very different definition of busy there… I remember last summer (aug BH funnily enough) turning up at Mewslade and me and the GF were shocked to find about 3 dozen people on a beach we normally have to ourselves!

Travel on/off can be a PITA if it’s a nice day, as can getting a parking space in the best bits: Southgate/Parkmill anywhere leading to Three Cliffs. Tons of space at Rhossili – it can seem busy there but walk round the corner from Tear’s Point to Fall Bay and you’ll have the place largely to yourself on even the busiest day. Travel not so much of an issue if you are staying for several days – we are always day trippers as live in the Afan valley. Can’t therefore advise on campsites but the one in Penmaen (caravan site so bound to have leccy hook ups) has always looked nice as I pedal past on my way down the bridleway DH into Parkmill 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I love camping there – but our usual spot (Hill End, at Rhossili) is stupidly busy at times, and you can’t pre-book the campsite.

santacoops
    Free Member

Hillend employ some prize chumps on the gate these days!

This was the view from our pitch @ 3 Cliffs – the campsite is to the right and you may end up with a sloping pitch, or in the back field which is flat, but has no view…

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member

Don’t know any yet, I’ll start looking properly tonight – can you recommend any?

We’d need leccy hook-up, and not too far from the coast.

Best of the bunch

http://www.nicholastonfarm.co.uk/

Sloping pitches mostly but great facilities, walk down through the dunes to the beach and trails on your doorstep 🙂

turtleheading
    Free Member

Its Gower, not The Gower. Locals get annoyed at such things, (having lived there for 22years I know such things)

So, it’s not The Gower Peninsula then?

Just Gower Peninsula doesn’t seem a very good use of English, but then…..

molgrips
    Free Member

I too know a local who calls it The Gower.

benjamins11
    Free Member

I live on Gower, just next to the aformentioned three cliffs campsite. I can confirm that technically it is Gower not the Gower, but I could show you a number of locals who dont realise this and nobody really gives a crap. As you were.

molgrips
    Free Member

I knew someone from Ukraine who insisted it was not The Ukraine – a fact I think that is widely acknowledged – similarly I knew someone from Sudan.

However, The Hague is still The Hague. As is Le Havre.

This post has no relevance to the thread though.

Stoner
    Free Member

Family Stoner and I are off to [The] Gower tomorrow for the weekend (Fri pm through to Monday morning)

No bikes, but have baby carrier rucksack/off-road buggy for littlest Jr and bigger Jr is nearly five and can walk a fair way. We’re staying in Horton.

Im also taking my 3.5m Kite.

Havent been on the Gower for over 20 yrs and then it was all Port Eynon Point and Oxwich Point etc so: A list of things to do and see, walks to take, beaches to fly on, and pubs for good beer and lunch would be most appreciated. Cheers

jonahtonto
    Free Member

the joiners in bishopston is really good for its microbrewery if you like ales n that. food is good pub grub there at pretty tidy prices too. its my local so gets my vote. kid and dog friendly too.

the walks are great pretty much everywhere, but if you can manage 3 miles or so with the little ones, whitford point is glorious, deserted and unspoilt with wild horses and stuff – head to the britania inn (nice beer garden) and follow the road west and park in the farmers field (signposted) and walk down through cwm ivy village

oh and its always been THE Gower to me, saves confusion with the old county of Gower which extends much further then the peninsular

enjoy

Ambrose

Cefn Bryn.
    King Arthur Hotel, Reynoldston.
    Worm’s Head.
    Bluepool Corner and Whitford Point. Whitford Light.
    Fall Bay to Port Eynon clifftops (or otherwise, check tides).
    Oxwich Point.
    Bishopston Valley.
    Cheriton.
    Burry Holms.
    Rhossili Downs. Harding’s Down. Llanmadoc Hill.

Got to love the place 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Really amazing part of the world, especially Three Cliffs bay. Me and a few mates have an annual camping trip there, can’t remember the name of the campsite, its about 30 mins from Swansea in Port Eynon.

Go!

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers guys. notes scribbled.

annoyingly realise I dont have an OS explorer of the peninsula so will have to grab one on the way and mark it up in a pub.

Pity the weather wont hold, but skin’s waterproof they say.
    http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Wales/Port_Eynon/long.html

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘The Gower…’ is closed to new replies.