Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • LIGHT WEIGHT 160MM ROTOR OPTIONS.
  • tk46hal
    Free Member

Hi!
    I want to replace my standard Avid 6 bolt 160mm rotors for something much lighter!
    What do I buy?
    Thanks.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’ve just looked on the Hope site and they do the floating light weight 160mm rotor which weighs in at 78 grams. Can I do better than that?

Olly
    Free Member

i wouldnt have thought so.

superstar will almost certainly be cheaper but MAY or MAY NOT be up to the quality/weight

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=453

Olly
    Free Member

supersharts are 110g. coloured spiders do however make them bling as Fk 😀

fivespot
    Free Member

Alligator Aries 160 rotor 76g from here http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/ekmps/shops/rickhughes/images/aries-cat.jpg

Similar weight, BUT far cheaper. I am running 180/203 versions which are at least 20% lighter than Hope Floaters 8)

tk46hal
    Free Member

Thanks Fivespot!
    I can get them in blue as well to match my bike! 😆

chainslapp
    Free Member

Tim “you are a tart”. 😆

tk46hal
    Free Member

Shut up!

Going for sub 19!

And keeps me out of trouble!

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Another vote for Alligator Aries, thicker (more durable) than lightweight Hope as well a cheaper. I use them in endurance racing in the rain, no worries.

ALLIGATOR ARIES LINK HERE

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

Northwind

My Hope floaters were heavier than my standard Formula steel rotors :roll:. Ashima Airotors are light and work well, but can be a wee bit variable depending on your brake. Mine worked perfectly with my XTs and Aurigas (big long pads) but are pretty noisy and vibey with my Oros (small square pads), though they still stop fine.

sockpuppet

ashima are worth a look too – although they only come in natural or red IIRC!

njee20
    Free Member

KCNC, cheap and light.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve got Ashima on one bike, mainly because they are good value and lightweight is a bonus. I didn’t use them for long but they are now on my wife’s bike after changing wheels around, so I can’t comment too much on them. Would buy again though. Good value at Merlin.

toys19
    Free Member

I’d be interested in the avid rotors if they are in good nick.email in profile.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’ve ordered some Alligator ones in bling blue!
    Toys19, I’ll let you know re the rotors!

Thanks All!

tazzymtb

Going for sub 19!

then get those bloomin great heavy continental racekings off the bike and put some crows or ravens on!

and you call yourself a weight weenie 😉

chainslapp
    Free Member

Im going for the other end of the spectrum. Looking for 30lbs plus on my Ti so Ive filled the tyres with stones and I’m just on my way to maccy deeeeeeeeeees for a quarter and cheese to feed the wok. 😯

tk46hal
    Free Member

Save me some Shaun!

grtdkad

+1 for Ashima here!

chainslapp
    Free Member

Thats not big enough.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Wait for the bling photo’s!
    I can’t wait for the pi55 to start flowing!
    It will be worth the money I’ve just spent! 😆

tazzymtb

oh and get some ti blue bolts for everything as well while you’re at it and you still won’t out “blue” my salsa 😆

tk46hal
    Free Member

£24 per pack! How Much! I’m a Yorkshireman! 😕
    I’ll stick with shiny stainless for now!

tk46hal
    Free Member

Here you are guys! Start taking the pi55!
    A whole saving of 200 grams from the two ends together! 😉

tazzymtb

great big heavy Hope QR fail and weighty rubber and the forks could be a lot lighter…..you have much to learn on the path to weight weenieism 😀

EDIT: the blue is nice though

tk46hal
    Free Member

Tazz!

Not really that bothered, but if I get the bike to close to sub 19lb then that will do! It weighed in at 19.89 originally and now minus 200 grams which is something like 19.45! 😆
    If I finally go tubeless and something else, then that should do it and I can concentrate on my other build project.
    See ya all!

chainslapp
    Free Member

Get the paint stripper out and get rid of that blue paint and you would save another gram !!!!!! 😆

simon1975

You only need 3 bolts on that rotor too (a 6 pack of Ti ones would do both ends, with the odd drop of threadlock of course). The brakes themselves are monsters though.

retro83
    Free Member

Which rotors are those & where from?

Edit: alligators, didn’t see that post

charliedontsurf

Mucky nutz. Were the lightest in the world for a couple of weeks. Dead cheap. Uk made. I’ve got some and like them.
    http://muckynutz.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=43

njee20
    Free Member

You only need 3 bolts on that rotor too (a 6 pack of Ti ones would do both ends, with the odd drop of threadlock of course). The brakes themselves are monsters though.

Ashima do aluminium rotor bolts, which are far lighter than ti and cheaper. Come in more vivid colours too.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Thanks Charlie, but it’s too late and I could have saved a massive 12 grams in total! 😆

tk46hal
    Free Member

Simon1975,

The brakes were lying around from an old Cannondale and a S/S build is suppose to be a cheap project, but what the hell! You only live once!What do I replace them with then? 😉

toys19
    Free Member

Any advance on flogging those avid discs?

fandango
    Free Member

@tk, what’s the braking performance like with those fancy bling rotors?

jameso

Anyone use Quad Pulse XCs? Seen them on a few WC Xc racers bikes. 70-odd grams for a 160mm.

simon1975

What do I replace them with then?

Give the choice, I’d have black/gold Mono Minis. Not the post mount silver ones with all that extra metalwork.

How about trying the Ashima Pancake brakes? 😉

I think Formula do uberlight stuff too 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

The PCBs are pretty weird feeling by all accounts, an incredibly ‘squishy’ lever – not sure I’d go for that. YMMV.

The XTR M985 Race brakes are incredible, not quite as light as some (although they come with all steel hardware – stick alu lever bolts and ti elsewhere and you drop a chunk), but absolutely fantastic to use, and vastly cheaper than things like the Avid XX, which was the worst brake I’ve ever used!

jameso

yup, new XTRs are by far the best brake out there. you have to ride them to appreciate how awesome they feel, i love them.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You could go all, Flash Gordon

These are the lightest on the market at the mo, I believe. 512gms (incl rotors) as weighted by Burls, they use xtr pads. There are other colours, but I think I’d want to er……….not have them stand out too much.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘LIGHT WEIGHT 160MM ROTOR OPTIONS.’ is closed to new replies.