Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The finest Trails the UK has to offer – what is yours
  • fergal
    Free Member

What is your contender for the trail that keeps you coming back for more.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the best trails are the ones that no-one else knows about, they’re not shown on any map, and they’re definitely not on ****ing strava.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Top 5-

Grisedale Pike-

Warnscale-

Lochnagar-

Ben Lawers-

And Jock’s Road.

fergal
    Free Member

Well i don’t think that is strictly true, is there a quality trail in the mountains that only a few know about, it’s the nature of the game, we like to spill the beans, have bragging rights.

I quite like Sticks on Helvellyn, quite popular though.

PS. munrobiker nice.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Lairig Eilde.

Northwind

Think my consistent favourite is the grey mare’s tail path at kinlochleven, best when there’s a river running down it. By the time I get down into the flume section I’m always half out of my mind.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sod knows, I’m too fickle – I had a total blast Tuesday evening riding a trail that’s less than a KM long at Castle Coch, I don’t know what it’s called, but someone has named it, it has no features like tablestops, the berms and drop were crafted by nature, which for me is odd – I like what the cynics call BMX trails, the faker the better, but it was so much fun, we rode it 3 times in a row. Doesn’t have the epic views of the above, it’s mostly just trees.

I’ll be on to something else next week.

NB – someone’s called it Forrest Fawr single track, it’s ace.

fergal
    Free Member

Northwind just found this, dodgy in the wet comment! looks entertaining.

Bike Magic Trail Guide TV: Kinlochleven, Scotland

duir
    Free Member

Right on the money Munrobiker.

Tracey

After 28 years I still get a buzz when riding Cutgate. Over that time it has changed quite alot, as have the bikes, but still feels great most of the time.

bigjim

shatner’s bassoon

Northwind

@Fergal, maybe I’ve got the name wrong actually- there’s some of that video I recognise from the dudes races but other bits not (much more wide gravel than i’ve ever ridden up there). There’s 2 big descents down from more or less the same place, they’re both mint but the one further up, down An Cumhann, is the one.

(I’ve never ridden those trails as dry as they are in that video!)

fergal
    Free Member

The bassoon is awesums, might go and ride feed the pony on the morrow, a future fave maybe!.

Trekster

One of my get the map out “epics”
    Doubt any other biker has been here;
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/r8YAHw]Queensberry epic Rab9[/url] by john_henry_mtb, on Flickr
    Quite a few options still to be explored, all from home 😀

fergal
    Free Member

It’s a great feeling getting out and exploring your local area, i do the same in the Cheviots, i have this local loop, good old school XC, with some great wild hills and pristine singletrack, fairly obvious on the OS map, but not ridden by anyone, puts a smile on my face every time.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The finest trails are the ones closest to home. Being able to ride singletrack 5 mins from home is the most important thing to me. Again not many people ride them, too busy going to Glentress etc to wonder what’s in the woods nearer to home. A few guys whose opinions I value think they’re alright too.

youngrob

Gypsy Glen into Peebles get my vote, especially over the last couple of nights riding into the sunset. 2hrs door to door riding from the house with a group of like minded folks. I could do that every night over the summer.

[/url]11187146_10204093305798918_5975553222002625562_o by rob.young7, on Flickr[/img]

Trekster

+1 youngrob/stevenmuir/fergal/ahwiles 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

The one behind the Nationwide (boom-tish)

fergal
    Free Member

Yay the Gypsy glen, my first ride of the spring, always fantastic.

tomaso
    Free Member

The off camber rooty path contouring in a horseshoe shaped valley behind my mum’s house is a fave. Its not some big mountain or intrepid adventure. It is slippery as hell with roots clay and chalk smeared across it.

There are some big shouty places that are awesome to ride but fun can be found in many places. Last night I rode out of Blawith and there are lots of ‘better’ places nearby, but it is like so much of the world, unique and a special pleasure.

mboy
    Free Member

The Wyre Forest when it’s as dry as it is right now… Dear God it’s good at the moment!

To be fair though, it’s very rare it’s this dry, and it’s hard going when it’s wet. But I’ve been making hay whilst the sun shines! 😀

I never tire of riding the Forest of Dean either. The descent off piste singletrack that is, rather than the hardpacked waymarked trails.

_tom_
    Free Member

I love riding the long Mynd, particularly the descent into little Stretton. And I love Woburn despite how small the hill is there are some awesome dh tracks with fun features on them!

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

The TORRIDON Classic is the best trail Iv ridden on this fair isle. Ilkley moor is my most favourite place in England. I have been riding there my whole life and it’s still got everything you want from a bike ride. Last nights ride was amazing.

onehundredthidiot

A few good ones from the door, just quiet and take the everyday stress away. Its been dry and its April so they’re riding well. But due to the common riding, ride outs they’ll be cut up within a fortnight.

mintimperial

I did Cut Gate out and back from Langsett on Wednesday, it’s dry and dusty and brilliant throughout at the moment (apart from that one small eternal bog at the top). I have to say that on the three days of the year when it’s not a swampy mess there’s not many trails I enjoy riding more. It’s got a bit of everything I look for in a ride, lots of swoopy singletrack, challenging climbs, a little bit of techy rockiness, great views, that wide open wilderness feel, not too many dopey ramblers usually. Ace.

It can be a bit grim in poor conditions though, you should only go expecting great things if it’s not rained at all for about two weeks minimum.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘The finest Trails the UK has to offer – what is yours’ is closed to new replies.