Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The Fascinating World of Mudguards
  • funkmasterp

I’ve just bought a lovely Genesis Fugio 30 in time for the weather turning poor. I’m going to need some full mudguards. Are SKS the go to and does anyone know what size I’ll need? I’ve mailed Genesis to query clearances and just hoping they’ll respond. Any other makes I should be looking at?

footflaps

and then there’s the question of which SKS to pick, they make a bewildering range these days…

funkmasterp

Tell me about it. I thought it would be a simple thing and I was very wrong. 😄

aP
    Free Member

I’ve put some PDW guards on with a Fāhrer front flap.

rOcKeTdOg

does anyone know what size I’ll need?

give us a clue as to wheel and tyre width? iirc fugio comes with 650b but will take 700s too

funkmasterp

Sorry, Bike is stock with 650b wheels and 47c tyres

Carbon fibre one?

Not really wanting to pay that much for them tbh. £50 or so

theotherjonv

I’m happy with my SKS Raceblades, attach and detach in a couple of minutes using rubber band on fittings rather than the eyelets on the frame, which means I can drop them off on those winter days when you don’t need them.

I’ve added an extra flap to the rear for group rides, not needed if it’s just you (or you’re antisocial)

cakeandcheese

Also check out velo orange. Slightly over budget (about £65 I think) and a little harder to source, but they’re all aluminium, lighter, stiffer and better looking than sks.

funkmasterp

Thanks all. I will take a look at the various options.

tarquin
    Free Member

Kinesis sell some nice alloy ones for about that much. Fend Off they are called, the packaging plastic is designed so you can cut two flaps out of it which bolt to the guards to keep your feet dry.

DezB
    Free Member

I took a punt on some £15 jobs off ebay to get bigger tyre clearance. Slightly fiddlier to fit, but just as good as the SKS I paid 3 times that much for.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve used various SKS mudguards, mainly Bluemels on my bikes over the years but never been 100% happy with them. This year I bought a set of Velo Orange ones from bike-components.DE for about £60 and they are soooo much better! Better coverage, rock solid and haven’t needed to adjust them since fitting whereas the SKS ones always seemed to get knocked out of true. Didn’t take too long to fit either. Would definitely recommend if you can stretch the budget, it’ll save you money in the long run by keeping the drivechain and your clothing much cleaner!

jkomo

Whyte ones would be my choice. Mate has them on his winter road bike. Look much tidier than my SKS. They don’t rattle and can be had for £30, RRP £40.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘The Fascinating World of Mudguards’ is closed to new replies.