Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • |The exchange rate
  • richc
    Free Member

Anyone seen the exchange rate figures today?

£1 = 0.92 Euros
    £1 = 1.42 Dollars

Jesus, Thanks Gordon.

mrmo
    Free Member

the euro is 1.07, the media are just quoting the wrong way round?

But yes $hit isn’t it.

more importantly

£1 = 1.6 swiss francs

Reading something earlier that was talking about a run on the pound still to happen, 30% devaluation etc. So £1 would be worth less than 1usd!!!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Anyone planning to visit The Alps this summer? Think again.

richc
    Free Member

fingers crossed it bounces by then.

muddy_fox
    Free Member

the only bounce will be like a dead cat bounces

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m going for a winter boarding trip at the end of the month – gulp!

sheldona
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about the exchange rates? My insurance campany hace just offered me the £ equivelant of quite a few $, should I take it at todays low and hope that it rises over the next couple of weeks or can it go much lower?
    MMMMMMMMMM decisions!

kimbers

yep france boarding in a couple of weeks and just had to book the mega in euros im hoping pound will see a recovery by then

seriously what should the govmnt be doing??

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

It’s only good news if you work in the tourist industry. The UK is suddenly a cheap place to go – some friends run B+B’s and holiday cottages up here in Scotland and bookings are well up compared to last year. Every cloud has a silver lining

Marge
    Free Member

If you live in a country that uses the Euro though it is awesome 🙂
    Bike bits are really cheap in the UK for me now.

Sorry….

The key question is will it recover and if so, how far….

matt_outandabout

£1 = 1.6 swiss francs

Bugger. About 50% of our systems are imported from Switzerland….

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

this winter`s boarding holiday has been cancelled. doing the mega again this year has been changed to the keilder round instead. a friend of mine has just come back from 3 vallees and it cost her a grand by the end.

we are going to explore the uk more this year and save some dough.

nasher
    Free Member

THe centrtal european bank aill drop their interest rates ans Europe is starting to suffer.

In turn this will make the Euro weaker and improve the exchange rate.

I reckon it will be about 1.2 by summer.

It has already gone up .1 in the last couple of weeks.

UncleFred
    Free Member

I’m happy, I get paid in Dollars and regularly send cash back to the UK to pay my credit card bills. Much better than in the summer when it was around $2.00

eckinspain
    Free Member

If you live in a country that uses the Euro though it is awesome
    Bike bits are really cheap in the UK for me now.

Yeah, fantastic isn’t it 🙂

My new bike should cost me about 350 euros less than in the summer just due to the exchange rate.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Just to make a point I’ve made previously. There are plenty of travel companies (bike, ski/board, etc.) who price in pounds, not euros (including us!). So we get shafted, not you. The price of your biking holiday to the Alps doesn’t change at all.

BoardinBob

Sterling only doing well against 3 foreign currencies at the moment. Iceland’s, Zimbabwe’s and Ukraine’s. 😆

andywhit
    Free Member

>Anyone planning to visit The Alps this summer? Think again.

Life’s too short to put off stuff because of £££ (or $$$, €€€€ )

Just do it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The price of your biking holiday to the Alps doesn’t change at all.

The price of the post-ride slap-up meal and copious quantities of beer does though.

white101

Just gor back from Barcelona a couple of hours ago. As you do, I had a couple of beers over the last couple of days and using that time honoured scale of measure…..

1 large beer and 1 small beer = 7 euros and that was in a locals bar nowhere near La Rambla. However, if you stuck with the bottles you never paid more than 2.5 euros, I moved to bottles after the first pint left a bitter pill to swallow.

andywhit
    Free Member

>The price of the post-ride slap-up meal and copious quantities of beer does though.

Buy beers from supermarket.

5thElefant
    Free Member

>The price of the post-ride slap-up meal and copious quantities of beer does though.

Buy beers from supermarket.
    I bet you’d get chucked out of the pub for that.

andywhit
    Free Member

🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

The price of your biking holiday to the Alps doesn’t change at all.

The price of the post-ride slap-up meal and copious quantities of beer does though.

Nope, any decent holiday company 😉 should include those!

nasher
    Free Member

Going to Europe is not expensive, its just not as cheap as it used to be.

Beers, food etc.. although still better quality than the UK is about the same price, and still cheaper in less touristy places.

To offset that, flights are getting much cheaper also.

xanboy
    Free Member

The dollar is now at $1.36 against the pound. More importantly the Yen is now around 1.2 against the pound. It was up around 2.70 this time last year.

clunker

Buy most of our kit in dollars, had to put my clients pricing up by 30% 😕

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Pretty much all the bikes and kit coming out of the far east have gone up 20% this year (Dawes / Falcon / Claud Butler / etc…) Seeing the Raleigh stuff tomorrow and thas increased in price too!

Entry to the Enduro in India is in US$ and unless it swings back the other way I can’t see my self paying well over £1k to race for 8days (air fare and spending money not included!)

SSP

alpin
    Free Member

Hope have told bike shops here in germany to ring up and ask for prices daily.

is good for uk exporters but i had 50k€ in savings 18months back. was looking at buying a flat in the voralpen outright. forget it now…

nasher
    Free Member

Hope have told bike shops here in germany to ring up and ask for prices daily.

I thought Hope would be doing well? unless their material cost has gone up drastically.

alpin
    Free Member

think they are. saw two hubs sold last week. i might even buy a new seat clamp….

GrahamA
    Free Member

is good for uk exporters but i had 50k€ in savings 18months back. was looking at buying a flat in the voralpen outright. forget it now…

Is that due to Euro vs Swiss Frank?

alpin
    Free Member

euro pound.

was looking south of munich, bad tolz oder hinter tegernsee.

no chance now, not least in the next year or so…..

MrOvershoot

“matt_outandabout

£1 = 1.6 swiss francs

Bugger. About 50% of our systems are imported from Switzerland….”

90% of our equipment is Swiss made, the spares are “just slightly” more expensive now :/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

when we costed our trip to Oz the £-$ was £1=$2.68 so looked really got to bring a couple of grand and buy a nice biking van to travel round in now it’s creeping round 2.1 so we are looking at ways to send money home. Works both ways

stevomcd
    Free Member

Back to £1 = €1.14 today. Best since last autumn.

Unfortunately, we were forced to move a substantial sum last week and got 1.03… still, we did move the minimum possible and saved the rest so hopefully we can make up for it!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘|The exchange rate’ is closed to new replies.