Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The Ex Enduro…. boom!
  • DrP

Anyone else do it??

This was my first time riding the Ex, though was in the area a few months ago for the Southen Enduro Champs (which was awesome, BTW!)

I was a bit concerned teh weather was gonna be rubbish, but actually it was ‘shorts and T shirt weather’ the whole weekend 🙂

I headed up on my own, as my usual riding lot were doing the SSUK on IOW – I was toying with the idea, but I actually quite like a ‘proper’ XC race, and felt that a loop on the sand wasn’t really ‘worth it’! Though teh Ex cost £300, i was looking forwards to 3 full dayers, camping, and catering!

I’m not going to write too much as words really aren’t my forte, but just wanted post a few pictures, and say thanks to both the organisers and the other riders! Having gone up on my own I was chatting to a few groups for a bit of social contact, and then hooked up with the Boompod lot (fairly local to me) for a bit of bants!!

As per, I was in teh HT category; it’s only my second race on the Kingdom vendetta X2 – such a stunning bike..sooo fast!

Unfortunately I slashed a tyre about 90 meters after getting off the uplift bus on day 1!!! But stuck a tube in for the rest of the day, then bought a double-down maxxis and fitted that – rode really well for the remaining days.

The trails were a mix of proper tech gnar, and a few peddly stages. I wasn’t feeling the fittest (full of snot!) so found my ability to engage the fast-twitch fibres for more than 30 seconds was a bit challenging!!
    also, i’ve relly highlighted that super tight switchbacks need a bit more practice..

However, in the all I really loved 3 proper ‘days out’ – saw lods of the Minehead countryside, cutting above and below the A39 for the most part.

There were about 15 riders in Hardtail, and after day 1 i was happy with third; I knew I wasn’t going to challenge Oli Carter or Fin Clay – both rapid sponsored boys!
    Managed to keep the same position after day 2, despite a lovely crash on a proper rocky section, and again held bronze for teh overall – pretty chuffed with that!!

Would I go back…. hmm, probably… The Southern Enduro champs were more ‘compact’ with a selection of shorter, more techy trails which I liked, but I also really enjoyed the ‘wide open’ aspect the Ex offered!!!

The boot of my car now STINKS! Got back late last night adn couldn’t be bothered to empty it!

Bikes – great eh!!

DrP

orena45

Awesome stuff, congrats on the 3rd place!

The Ex is an event I’d love to do – this and the Southern Enduro Champs are the closest enduro races to me in Cornwall – but I just can’t bring myself to pay so much ££ to do it!

dropoff

I’d really like to appreciate this event, but seeing the damage to trails that you have personally built and tried to maintain just makes me sad. Also it would be great if the DMR boys could clear all the tape up after the event.

jam-bo

pivot rider on the end in photo 7 isnt really feeling the vibe is he…

matt_outandabout

Also it would be great if the DMR boys could clear all the tape up after the event

Post it back to them.

After putting it on faceFace book thing.

jam-bo

I’d really like to appreciate this event, but seeing the damage to trails that you have personally built and tried to maintain just makes me sad.

quadzilla? bit **** isn’t it….

superfli
    Free Member

Fantastic weekend and we were so lucky with the weather! Love this event. The trails are mint and the all inclusive takes the hassle of cooking and trips to the shops away.

The organisers have at least 2 sweep people following each stage when all the people have completed it. They take all the signs and tape down that they see. This includes the transitions. Of course, I expect there is the odd bit that might get missed. The organisers really do appreciate the fragile relationship with the locals and try their very best to keep everyone sweet. Hence the 80 rider entries.

I appreciate that trails can get cut up after riders have raced on them. I’m not sure what to suggest really? Maybe time to rest some of the well used trails and move onto others?

Great result DrP and sorry for drinking all your rum 🙂 Dont leave a bottle of Captain Morgan’s on a table with Zoolander Phil on… lol! Good to meet you anyway!

jim25

👍

Well done!

Fin is a great rider, he also one the ardrock hardtail category, riding chain less for the last stage!

jim25

Won!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘The Ex Enduro…. boom!’ is closed to new replies.