Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 518 total)
  • The effect of a Scottish Yes vote on the rest of the UK?
  • ninfan
    Free Member

No we think we don’t need one because no-one is going to nuke us.

Then why are you planning to join a military alliance which commits itself to a first strike nuclear policy?

Northwind

Scotland can guarantee its own military shipbuilding goes to the clyde. Anything else… Well, it’s complicated. The MOD insists that they won’t build frontline warships outwith the UK. But they also say they’re committed to the T26 frigate and that it’s the best option for the UK. And realistically, that probably means Clydebuilt- BAE Portsmouth was the closest thing to a suitable location to build them in the rUK, but it was “outdated and unsuitable” even before they started shutting it down and laying off their workforce

So without a massive re-investment, on a very short timescale (construction is scheduled to start next year, and the old ships are due for replacement), the rUK isn’t building these ships themselves. So the MOD/govt argument looks flaky at best.

Where uncertainty comes back into it is that this still doesn’t guarantee Scottish building- because frankly defence procurement is a load of bollocks anyway and the T26 which is definitely the right boat today, might suddenly become the wrong boat and they end up ordering something from elsewhere anyway. Though BAE remain a British company even if building in Scotland.

(the white paper says Scotland would commission some T26s too. Am skeptic, it’s a big, advanced boat, it doesn’t seem to fit our needs)

mudshark – Member

Does Scotland think it doesn’t need a nuclear deterrent because rUK will still have it and so covered by that?

I think scotland doesn’t think it needs a nuclear deterrant for the same reason as most other companies in the world. Do you think Germany is hiding behind the UK’s skirt too?

seosamh77
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    No we think we don’t need one because no-one is going to nuke us.
    Then why are you planning to join a military alliance which commits itself to a first strike nuclear policy?

I dunno, I disagree with it, ask them. I wouldn’t join nato.

I’d also have a much smaller military than the nationalists envisage.

binners

I hope a protectionist trade war doesn’t break out. With prohibitive taxes on Irn Bru and Tunnocks Teacakes

gobuchul
    Free Member

the white paper says Scotland would commission some T26s too. Am skeptic, it’s a big, advanced boat, it doesn’t seem to fit our needs

I would be very skeptical.

The T26 is also known as the Global Combat Ship. It has a 6000t displacement and 7000′ range. Doesn’t fit in with the small SDF concept?

Northwind

I think basically what we need is some fishing boats full of guys with belaying pins and one guy with a radio. And a couple of typhoons and another radio at lossiemouth.

aracer
    Free Member

How on earth are you going to pay for it?

By not spending billions on Trident, billions on illegal wars, billions on white elephant rail networks,…[/quote]

The fundamental point most people are missing is that it’s not about where the money we spend on Trident is spent, but that it costs about 0.3% of total public spending. That’s not going to pay for much of the dream. I’ve no doubt that the other big headline cost savings ben mentions are similar.

oldnpastit

Perhaps we could just buy those boats the French have been building for the Soviets Russians?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Northwind. I would expect Trident has a net cost to the UK as a whole and likewise to Scotland. If you like its the cost of having the deterrent.

Germany doesn’t have nukes as it wasn’t allowed them, that’s partly what NATO is for. I would imagine Scotland would be encouraged (pressured) to join NATO and would pay for Trident/nukes indirectly via a contribution to that.

Anyway I think these defense arguments are secondary, there are far larger bills to pay elsewhere for Scotland.

As for impact on the UK this is one area where the UK will have a higher cost as we will be paying for the whole of the armed forces (ie more per head of population) as we cannot realistically have less planes/ships etc.

Lifer
    Free Member

We can if ‘we’ recognise we’re not a superpower anymore and stop trying to play global chess.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

Germany doesn’t have nukes as it wasn’t allowed them

Actually, Germany was a nuclear sharing power but has actively disarmed as a matter of choice (they still hold a few outmoded tactical weapons but they’re phasing out their only delivery method, so their nuclear deterrant will be burying one in a ditch and hoping Putin rides past on a bear)

AdamW
    Free Member

I hope a protectionist trade war doesn’t break out. With prohibitive taxes on Irn Bru and Tunnocks Teacakes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Does Scotch Whiskey still have the massive tax/duty break Gordon introduced ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tax changes will be the biggest problem, any changes to the tax rate will bugger up anything within 30 miles of the border, fuel, drink fags etc. Couple that with a chance to register something over the border too.

konabunny
    Free Member

Everything we spend in the UK creates jobs and returns money to the economy; the question on that is always, is it an optimum return. Is the peacetime divident of Trident better than spending the same sum on more surface boats, or creating jobs in hospitals and schools…

rrrrrrrrrrrrubbish! you don’t create jobs through subsidies, you destroy them! the taxes that pay for the economically unproductive jobs and activities come from the burden on economically productive ones.

konabunny
    Free Member

What utter nonsense, you may not have noticed, but our currently just devalued as a result of this garbage. Then the absolute con, letting 16 yr old kids vote yet expat Scots that might have a bit of sense and might want to return to something that resembles the home they love don’t, it’s despicable.

those expat Scots that want a vote in the referendum obviously don’t love Scotland enough to actually want to live there! 😆

andytherocketeer

is everything within 30 miles of the NI/IE border buggered up?

every so often people will suss that Morrisons on one side is a bit cheaper than the equivalent on the other. Drive there and save £3.99 on their shopping.

lots of borders in EU, and i bet 99% use the most convenient supermarket and shell garage

andermt
    Free Member

It happens quite a bit.

For example, any Germans who live near Luxembourg tend to take a trip over the border for fuel.

mudshark
    Free Member

those expat Scots that want a vote in the referendum obviously don’t love Scotland enough to actually want to live there!

Unless they couldn’t get a job there like my mate? After a dozen years in the SE he gave up and bought a house there.

cheers_drive

My in-laws live on the Danish / German border and their are load of cash and carry style supermarkets on the German side. All the carparks are full of Danish estate cars with trailers and roof boxes stocking up on cheap food and alcohol.

Rockape63
    Free Member

those expat Scots that want a vote in the referendum obviously don’t love Scotland enough to actually want to live there!

Fair point…there are masses of em in Surrey. However, i’m thinking that with a yes vote, we’ll get masses more!

konabunny
    Free Member

Unless they couldn’t get a job there like my mate?

if he’s lived in the Home Counties for twelve years and has no plans to return to Scotland, then independence won’t affect him very much on a daily basis. him not having a vote probably doesn’t matter.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fair point…there are masses of em in Surrey. However, i’m thinking that with a yes vote, we’ll get masses more!

Yup, job opportunities are better. and the differential is going to grow further. I think with expected tax rises on the “rich” we’ll see more successful Scots moving. Possible significant uptick in property values on the English side of the border.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So for those who want ex pats to vote who gets a vote? How many Scottish grandparents do you need or do you just need to vote yes?
    What about people with no scottish blood but who lived there, if you lived there for say 10 years is that enough? What about gingers or men in skirts?

mudshark
    Free Member

Maybe but he still loves Scotland/hates the SE (mandatory for a Scot I think?). Loves Scotland enough to live there but he’s not wanted/needed.

aracer
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know the rules are simple, there were some moaners earlier upset that their missus couldn’t vote as they had moved.

aracer
    Free Member

Did you read the link?

andermt
    Free Member

And there in lies the problem.

Scottish born British citizens currently living outside of Scotland will also be considered Scottish citizens.

I’ll become a Scottish Citizen, but am not allowed a vote on whether that is right or not. But apparently that is okay….

david47
    Free Member

A question or two raised here, does a yes vote wreck the scottish fishing industry ? After all the quota system is surely dependant upon population, or market size ? And most of the UK’s boats are based in scotland ?

And I know all the banks are claiming to just be moving the ‘legal entity’ but will all the call centres have to move ? as being in another country would there be an offshoreing backlash against them being in another country ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll become a Scottish Citizen, but am not allowed a vote on whether that is right or not. But apparently that is okay….

I left the UK, I accept that I won’t have a say on aa few things like a Euro referendum.

British citizens habitually resident in Scotland on independence will be considered Scottish citizens. This will include British citizens who hold dual citizenship with another country. Scottish born British citizens currently living outside of Scotland will also be considered Scottish citizens.
    Following independence, other people will be able to apply for Scottish citizenship.

You are not going to become a Scottish citizen unless you live there and then you can vote. You can apply if you want to or remain British

binners

aracer
    Free Member

Their link is about citizens not who is eligible to vote

It’s a guide to who will be eligible to vote in an independent Scotland (assuming they follow the same model as the US and the UK regarding the franchise), hence who could be eligible to vote for the ability to form such a body – thus avoiding any silly strawmen about men in skirts.

I left the UK, I accept that I won’t have a say on aa few things like a Euro referendum.

Actually, given you can vote in GEs, there’s a pretty good chance you will get a say on that.

You are not going to become a Scottish citizen unless you live there and then you can vote.

Did you even read what you quoted?

Scottish born British citizens currently living outside of Scotland will also be considered Scottish citizens.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes but the electoral commision (those with the rules) make it very clear. You need to live there. It’s quite simple.

aracer
    Free Member

You asked “So for those who want ex pats to vote who gets a vote?” – did you not want a sensible answer?

rendo
    Free Member

A question or two raised here, does a yes vote wreck the scottish fishing industry ? After all the quota system is surely dependant upon population, or market size ?

Doubt it, it will become scottish waters and therefore scotland will negotiate the quota system.

And I know all the banks are claiming to just be moving the ‘legal entity’ but will all the call centres have to move ? as being in another country would there be an offshoreing backlash against them being in another country ?

all the companies mentioned are already multi-national and operate throughout the world. As the banks have also mentioned, relocating their head office will have little impact on their operations in Scotland (as advised to their staff). believe or not but Scotland has quite a high knowledge and expertise base, and there is some highly skilled jobs in the market place. these will remain because they are there due to experience in the workforce but also due to location of resources, be it natural or otherwise.

andermt
    Free Member

Mike,

I was born in Scotland and spent the 1st 18 years of my life living there, my whole family still live there and always have.

The document linked to by aracer means in the eyes of the (potential) Scottish Government:

Everyone living in Scotland will be Scottish Citizens.
    Everyone born in Scotland will be Scottish Citizens.

Anyone with a Scottish Grandmother twice removed can apply to be Scottish but it doesn’t happen automatically, for me it does! I’m proud to be Scottish but my line of work doesn’t exist in Scotland so I had to move south, being classified as Scottish and not British has the potential to affect my day to day life, despite what the yS group say.

But apparantly the main argument by the yS group is Scotland has no say in it’s future due to Westminster, I have no say in my future due to the lack of opportunity to vote.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah missed that bit aracer on them imposing citizenship on you, you could probably reject it. But in reality it’s an issue for those living there now, if people want to go back then you can choose.

But hey there are rules, so everyone should live with them.

Anyway this was meant to be about the rest of the UK and all the fun we will have when this is all over and we get to impose some new nasty taxes on some fine highland beverages and frying oil when it goes wrong.

Edit – I’d give it about 10 mins before the first legal challenge to the citizenship rules.

david47
    Free Member

Doubt it, it will become scottish waters and therefore scotland will negotiate the quota system.

Thought the EU dictated the quota system ?

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘The effect of a Scottish Yes vote on the rest of the UK?’ is closed to new replies.