Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The difference 20mm makes…
  • isitafox
    Free Member

Got a set of old Pikes on my old Rockhopper (2002ish) and I thought that when I moved onto a full suspension (Jamis Dakar A2) I’d be faster going downhill but I just can’t replicate any of my old times (or get near to be honest!).

Started off with regular tubed 2.2 tyres on the Jamis with 120mm suspension and was miles off.
    I’ve since upgraded to better brakes, tubeless Maxxis tyres front and rear and just swapped the heavy Rockshox for some X Fusion’s set at 140mm. Been over South Head for their maiden voyage and felt really fast but still nowhere near my old times.

Is it just the extra 20mm of the Pikes that’s making the difference?
    I felt so much more confident today as well!

Is it worth setting the Fusions at 160mm or will that just kill the geometry of the bike?

joebristol

Would that be 160mm front / 120mm rear travel? Might be a bit unbalanced and make the front lift a lot whilst climbing as the seat angle will be made quite slack.

Are you comparing like for like in terms of conditions you’re riding in – I.e are your best times on sunny dry days vs more slippery conditions now?

Also, what trails are you riding? For example if I ride the blues at Flyup 417 I’m faster on my Vitus Sentier hardtail
    With 140mm Pikes on then my 170mm /
    160mm Bird Aeris. But if I go on the reds which have rocks on then I’m much faster on the Aeris.

isitafox
    Free Member

Exactly same trails and same conditions.
    Think I’ll probably stick at 140/120mm as I used to wind the pikes right down for steep ascents which made life easier but can’t do that now.

jamesoz

Your newer gps is more/less accurate? Or you’re not as fit?

georgesdad

I have a Jamis Dakar A2, which I have upgraded to full SLX, Magic Marys front and rear, tubeless, a dropper post and tonight I stripped the Raidon forks to convert them to an oil bath and discovered you can alter the travel internally. They’re now set at 140mm and are about ten times smoother than they were when they were new. It’s a cracking trail bike for the money and looks way more expensive than it was.

Despite the full suspension, 1x and soft tyres, I’m still faster (according to Strava) round most trails on my Cube Reaction 29er hardtail with 100mm rockshox recon and a 9mm quick release…

I have no idea why.

breadcrumb

You’ve got older. It’s happened to me too.

HTH.

hols2
    Free Member

Are you comparing like for like in terms of conditions you’re riding in – I.e are your best times on sunny dry days vs more slippery conditions now?

Until I started using Strava, I didn’t appreciate how massive a difference trail conditions can make. I’ve been riding the same trail a couple of times a week for nearly 20 years for exercise. In spring and early summer, I can cruise down the descent in 7 minutes, 6:30 with a decent amount of effort. In winter, it takes an extra minute. Doesn’t matter how hard I try, the grip just isn’t there. It feels like I’m going just as fast, but Strava times are massively off. Then in spring, I feel like a champion again because I barely have to make any effort to get right back on the pace.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘The difference 20mm makes…’ is closed to new replies.