Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • The Daily Mail / Lego dilemma
  • DezB
    Free Member

And I bet it comes with instructions!

That’s because… It. Is. For. CHILDREN!!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It’s a loss leader.
    Just buy the paper for the free toy, then never buy it again.

So the DM have to splash out for the privelege of us buying some cheap Lego?

Win, win – brilliant.

surfer
    Free Member

Win, win – brilliant.

I’m glad we managed to square that circle 🙄

RustySpanner

No Lego in Morrisons today – Toys R Us or WH Smiths only.

ransos
    Free Member

“Lego” is a contraction of the Danish “leg godt” which means “play well”. Just thought you’d like to know.

martinhutch

+1 it’s a loss leader. Every time you claim the lego, you’re costing them money, and taking the offer away from another person who, unlike you, might be tempted to buy the paper again just to read it, which is what they’re hoping.

So it’s your duty as a Mail hater to buy the Mail this week.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed I also just tried that – hoping to make it in to WHS later.

brant
    Free Member

Win, win – brilliant.

Boosts their sales figures, helps them command more for their advertising.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Boosts their sales figures, helps them command more for their advertising.

Yep. Even handing the paper back at the till will still see it go through as a sale, boosting their figures.

If you really cared about the anti-DM principle, you’d just not buy it at all, even if it did save you a pound or so on some Lego.

RustySpanner

So I should cut my nose off to spite my face?

I don’t think me not buying the rag is going to change the opinions of those who read it every day.
    I do think that having some cheap Lego is going to make me happier.
    Value judgment, innit blud?

Same with the Telegraph – I disagree with almost everything they’ve ever published when it comes to politics, but I really enjoy the rest of the paper.
    So, I buy it.

Hardly the worst crime in the world, is it?

brant
    Free Member

If you really cared about the anti-DM principle, you’d just not buy it at all, even if it did save you a pound or so on some Lego.

Yup.

RustySpanner

Oh, and who’s ‘anti-DM principle’ are we talking about here?

It was STW themselves who decided on the ‘no linky’ policy.
    Personally, I have no objection to reading it occasionally, it’s always good to know what the enemy are thinking.

I sometimes go to pubs that show Sky TV too.
    They’re nice pubs. Perhaps I should stop that too?

I’ve never bought a copy in my life, up ’till now, but having considered the implications I’ve no problem in doing so in this case.

I can’t see that a few quid in increased profits for them this week is going to directly impact negatively on anyone’s life.

If anyone can prove that my decision has caused a diminution in their quality of life, drop me a line and you can come round and play with my Lego.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think I may need to explain free market economics to you [ and Brant] and explain how folk will do anything for money, even if it goes against their principles.

Welcome aboard though Comrades

No i did not even though the kids asked and I explained what a shit rag it was.
    Thankfully the are second level vegans so they get ethical decision making

Harry_the_Spider

Thankfully the are second level vegans

😯

I thought that you were from Chorley.

I’m guessing the daily Mail gets the Lego cheap.
    Even so, I doubt the price you pay for the paper covers the cost.
    So, buy buying the paper while the offer is on, then not buying it again, costs them money.
    How can it be a moral stance not to buy the paper?

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is illogical to think that where i live is where I am from

hora
    Free Member

If you have a problem with a company why would you give it money?

I’m confused. Forget giving it away/binning it- why did you give them money?

Harry_the_Spider

for cheap Lego!

Cougar

I think we’ve just encountered the middle of this conversation.

hora
    Free Member

My Sis in laws best friend was murdered. A Daily Mail reporter hounded my sis in law for an interview, shouting through the letter box. In the end he made up an interview with her.

DezB
    Free Member

having some cheap Lego is going to make me happier.

Is this because you are going to give it to a needy child? 😆

andyrm
    Free Member

There is no dilemma.

– DMGT by the Lego in bulk at a reduced cost from the manufacturer and promote the offer out of their marketing budget.
    – You buy the paper, they gain the revenue of the paper sale that day but run an overall loss relative to Lego cost, i.e. a net loss

Stop overthinking it.

Not sure how comfortable I am with a media organisation attempting to foster hostility and censor another.

No, I don’t work for DMGT or any associated companies before anyone throws that into the ring.

enfht
    Free Member

So the STW Morality Overlords can be bribed after all… for a couple of quid.

Why have principles if they can’t be broken for Lego.

It’s all turned Lady Di and The Sun. I am outraged.

Funniest thread in ages.

aracer
    Free Member

Got mine, left the paper on the counter, commented to staff I probably wasn’t the first to do that, got a chuckle. My moral compass is just fine thank you (maybe I don’t have any morals).

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d rather buy Lego at full price. I’d rather a few quid of my money went to a cool company than a penny went in the pockets of those scumbags.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

This should be listed as a PSA 🙂 Thanks for pointing this out.

Does anyone know if this is definately redeemable by post? Anyone got the address?

Harry_the_Spider

It is. My mum has got the details. I’ll post it up when I have it.

CountZero

I’d rather buy Lego at full price. I’d rather a few quid of my money went to a cool company than a penny went in the pockets of those scumbags.

Except often these minifigs are limited editions, and not available elsewhere, so you can’t buy them at any price.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘The Daily Mail / Lego dilemma’ is closed to new replies.