Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The crap "you" buy at Christmas
  • jimmy

My 2 year old girl had been collecting pine cones all year – the place is littered with them. Open a drawer – pine cones. Step out of bed – pine cones.

So imagine my surprise to find a £6 plastic box of M&S festive pine cones with added cinnamon stick turn up in the house yesterday (We also have plenty of cinnamon sticks in the cupboard).

FFS.

johndoh
    Free Member

So your two year old is a zero hours worker for M&S?

Northwind

I like buying tree lights. WE’ve got millions of em now but every year it happens again

choppersquad
    Free Member

So can we change this to ‘the crap that SHE buys’?
    Candles……thousands of them.

Rich_s

**** elf on a **** shelf **** shite

outofbreath
    Free Member

So imagine my surprise to find a £6 plastic box of M&S festive pine cones with added cinnamon stick turn up in the house yesterday (We also have plenty of cinnamon sticks in the cupboard).

Women. Weapons of mass consumption.

I was sent out to buy child’s cough mixture on Wednesday night. After it was administered I went to put it away – there were two other bottles of cough mixture sitting there.

**** elf on a **** shelf **** shite

I rarely dare to put my foot down but I drew the line at elf on a shelf. That overpriced plastic **** went straight in the bin.

stevied
    Free Member

I like buying tree lights

Me too…need some more for the trees in the new garden (for next year as we won’t be in for Christmas this year 👿 )

DezB
    Free Member

Nothing. No (extra) crap bought. I ain’t Christmassy.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The wife loves Christmas, she’s almost at Buddy Elf levels of excitement in the build up to it, subsequently we seem to get more and more decorations for putting round the house every year from little quite classy artdeco angles to clonking great big Father Christmas figures and light up snowmen!

It’s only going to get worse as we now have another 4 rooms to decorate since our extension was finished this spring.

weeksy

I buy my son an Xmas jumper each year 🙂 he unveils it on Xmas morning, coming downstairs looking massively proud with himself… Worth every penny !

nickc

I ain’t Christmassy.

really? of all the many regular posters on here, you struck me as one of the very most christmassy of all…

ferrals
    Free Member

Primarily just loads and loads of ‘christmas’ biscuits. I can’t say I object to this practise however.

DezB
    Free Member

you struck me as one of the very most christmassy of all…

I know! Shocking isn’t it? Me n Woppit are spending it together this year (don’t tell him though) 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

…is usually limited to consumables, so don’t mind that at all. Our decorations are quite low on the tat factor too.

On the flipside, the heating will be on 24/7 in an attempt to transform the lounge into a sauna.

slowoldman

We’ve given up and just have a pagan feast.

benp1

😀

We’re in Lapland for xmas, I suggested that maybe we didn’t go to town on the xmas decorations in our home, as we’re not going to be here…

So it turns out we’re having lots of xmas decorations, and the wife has just bought more lights and tinsel 😀

Thankfully I don’t do much of the xmas decorating!

AlexSimon

Every year we agree a few nice presents for the boys.
    Every year on christmas eve I discover a shit ton of tat has been bought as ‘stocking fillers’.
    I don’t hide my disapproval 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

I can’t stand all that land fill and useless tat being sold and bought at Christmas, that stuff they pile up at the end of food isles for unimaginative gift giving. A worlds best dad mug with a miniature of port. A biscuit holder and monogrammed hot water bottle cover etc etc.
    It’s all nick-naks for dickheads and a huge industry of plastic tat and epehemera that the world can do without.

I like Christmas, just think it should last a couple of days and not involve so much waste.

DezB
    Free Member

http://www.nick-naks-for-dickheads.com is my new favourite website.

AlexSimon

I prefer http://www.shit-ton-of-tat.co.uk

Totally with you MrSmith

johndoh
    Free Member

I like the Elf on a Shelf thing. My girls are 8 so have grown up with it and they are already counting down the days until Cheeky Charlie arrives again. After all, it *IS* just meant to be a bit of fun for children.

brakes
    Free Member

It’s all nick-naks for dickheads and a huge industry of plastic tat and epehemera that the world can do without.

give that man an eggnog.
    :rapturous applause:

doris5000

just googling Elf on a Shelf, brb

doris5000

hold up, so Elf on a Shelf is some kind of dystopian surveillance regime?

And they market this stuff to children????

doris5000

I wonder how many of the people who rail against religion, with all of it’s “you have to be good or you won’t go to heaven” stuff, hold the same views about consumer festivals, with their “you have to be good or you won’t get more toys” stuff. Seems like quite the modern parallel 😕

brakes
    Free Member

Seems like quite the modern parallel

not really. no heaven is a notional threat, whereas no toys is a reality.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I have got the days mixed up and ‘missed’ christmas the last 2 years.

kayla1
    Free Member

Nothing. We don’t ‘do’ christmas or any other time of year that involves buying more shit you don’t need. I’m loads of fun to be around, me.

doris5000

I have got the days mixed up and ‘missed’ christmas the last 2 years.

I did that and missed my own 21st birthday 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

I thought it was the day before and went windsurfing last year.Could’nt work out why everywhere was closed and nearly ran out of petrol 😳

rickmeister

The wife loves Christmas, she’s almost at Buddy Elf levels of excitement excrement

FIFY

jekkyl

Yes I hate all the plastic light up tat that our kids get bought.
    The idea that we have to make a list and people rack their brains as to what to ask for, I do it myself. I know it’s so cliche but it is still true there are people going hungry in this world and we’re deciding what colour our third best cardigan should be.

amedias
    Free Member

So can we change this to ‘the crap that SHE buys’?
    Candles……thousands of them.

At least you can legitimately burn them and not get in trouble, try that with the ‘other crap’ and see how you get on…

wilburt
    Free Member

What AlexSalmon said +1

Although I do accept gifts of Whisky, any recommendations?

philjunior
    Free Member

As long as my family don’t mind clubbing together and funding my bike habit, I may be getting bits of plastic but they won’t be shite.

One year my wife bought me a wallet and I was a bit like “cheers for nothing”. It’s not exactly a fun present. I am still using it though.

TBH the crappy stuff being bought is a year round issue.

IdleJon

I thought it was the day before and went windsurfing last year.Could’ntk out why everywhere was closed and nearly ran out of petrol

It’s like we need some advertising in the run up to the day so that everyone knows when it is…

I know it’s so cliche but it is still true there are people going hungry in this world and we’re deciding what colour our third best cardigan should be.

You could be a miserable git and upset your whole family by not enjoying Xmas – those people are still going to be hungry. The two aren’t mutually exclusive, that’s the sad thing.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Last years christmas eve i got towed home after an unfortunate incedent with a speed bump.

This ruined my planned eve dash round the shops and no one got presents. Nobody cared. And i’m quids in!

grtdkad

My missus is great normally but guess what at Christmas behaviour and logic changes – there’s clear rules. Presents from the family and then a distinct stocking off Santa.
    So with three kids that equates to three sacks of tat – ultimately expense which will end up at the charity shop, recycling or landfill. 🙄

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t know who is the saddest – the ones that spunk money enjoying Christmas or the ones that do it under duress then spend the year bleating about how shit it all is.

#rhetorical

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘The crap "you" buy at Christmas’ is closed to new replies.