Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • "The Bridge on the River Kwai"
  • mefty
    Free Member

Pedantic I know, but it is extraordinary how often this very well known film is referred to as “The Bridge over the River Kwai”. Does this happen a lot? I used to get this wrong hence I notice it now.

CountZero

Can’t say that I’ve ever seen it as other than ‘On’, and I’ve always known it as ‘… On The River Kwai’. My late dad took me to see it in the cinema, and he died when I was 13, so that was over 43 years ago!
    He was a Japanese PoW, see…

mefty
    Free Member

I just noticed it in a Daily Telegraph article today (here) and I think someone got it wrong on this website recently so I just wondered if it is only this film that this seems to happen to.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve always thought of it as “over”.

Top film.

nicko74

Interesting point – if you say it correctly, it will actually fit into “Like a Bridge over Troubled Waters”.

user-removed
    Free Member

Why was the onion sad?

It made the bridge on the River Kwai.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Wikipedia tells me that the book was called “The Bridge over the River Kwai” but the film was called “The Bridge on the River Kwai”.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

It was in Sri Lanka though in real life. Been there.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Presumably the film’s name, as opposed to the book’s title, refers to the ending. Although for obvious reasons it’s a bit of a spoiler.

Kuco

I’ve all ways said over 😳

RustySpanner

No ‘s’ at the end.
    It’s The Book of Revelation.
    Very annoying, that one.

Scamper
    Free Member

And they renamed the River in Thailand to fit the film apparently. Awful tourist trap, although the war graves are very moving.

mefty
    Free Member

Ernie – I think you will find the book was originally written in French, although the author of the book was initially attributed to be the writer of the screenplay, it was written by others.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I suspect they had an english addition which used the title “The Bridge over the River Kwai”.

BTW The Bridge on the River Kwai was the first english language film I ever saw. Sadly I didn’t speak any english when I saw it ! Although at six years old I guess that didn’t matter too much 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

Probably, the author of it didn’t speak english.

EDIT: EL – You would have a lot of time for the guys who actually wrote the screenplay.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What the Croydon boy David Lean ? Well I’ve spent a bit of time in the David Lean Cinema if that’s what you mean.

mefty
    Free Member

No actually, I was referring to Carl Foreman and Michael Wilson who were banned from working in Hollywood following the McCarthy hearings.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ah right, I only knew of David Lean’s connection with the film – due to him being a croydonian.

nicko74

It was in Sri Lanka though in real life. Been there.

Bit unfortunate for the Japanese, as it clearly went nowhere near where they wanted to go.

Think the bridge itself is at Kanchanaburi, Thailand. Nice bit of engineering actually, I need to get some POWs to fix up my back yard.

mefty
    Free Member

I associate you with a far wider world than merely Croydon, which I do not intend to demean.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I’m not hot on the arts mefty. Despite claiming that “I’ve spent a bit of time in the David Lean Cinema” I think I’ve only been twice ! And once was to see “Comandante” !

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4D612fPjp8[/video]

Joxster
    Free Member

A friend of mine, Erica Is Philip Tooseys daughter.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Think the bridge itself is at Kanchanaburi,

But the real bridge – the one made for the film, that is – was built near Kitulgala (Ceylon, as was).

I suspect they had an english addition which used the title “The Bridge over the River Kwai”.

On a thread about pedantry, of all places. 🙄
    Too late to go back and addit it now.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

On a thread about pedantry, of all places

That’s me……the incurable rebel who tramples on rules and convention with gay abandon. I just don’t care…. 8)

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Has the railway line moved too, or is it a different Burma railway?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘"The Bridge on the River Kwai"’ is closed to new replies.