Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 203 total)
  • the big ring??
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Edit: FWIW I probably wouldn’t use my big ring on that route much either.

That’s kind of the point.
    🙄 ❗

njee20
    Free Member

Got a gpx of your local trails that have more than 1500m of climbing in 70kms? Not that I don’t believe you or anything but I must visit this mountain mecca. I’m not saying that you will struggle on a single ring either. I would and I would also be a LOT slower round the course.

Seriously? You really are coming across as a bit of a naive pillock now. If you’re not suggesting that I’d struggle on a single ring WTF was your point about “real mountain biking”?

41 miles/5,100ft climbing
    40 miles/4,800ft climbing
    38 miles/4,400ft climbing
    36 miles/5,300ft climbing

Do you really want me to go on? All ridden happily on a single ring and all in Surrey! 🙄

Dancake
    Free Member

The only reason I have Triple right now is because all the sprockets are good. As soon as my 32T wears out, Ill chuck a 36 on and loose the big ring – I have done this on my previous bikes.

For me, a shorter , more secure chain and being able to use all 9 gears when in granny far outweighs the benefit of being able to go a tiny bit faster on fireroads.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m starting to think about getting rid of my chain rings altogether, just pumping everything.

njee20
    Free Member

And if we’re doing big climbing rides I’ll see docrobster’s 5000ft in 30 miles and raise you 3600ft in 15 miles, still done in a 36t single ring, albeit not in Surrey.

devs
    Free Member

Seriously? You really are coming across as a bit of a naive pillock now. If you’re not suggesting that I’d struggle on a single ring WTF was your point about “real mountain biking”?

There’s really no need to resort to insults, I shall take that one up with you should you ever be brave enough to introduce yourself. The whole point of “big mmountain days” (please note that I have not referred to real mountain biking as you state) is that there is a lot of up, a lot of down and a lot of along. Mostly in huge lumps together. Your rides would barely register on my suunto watch as climbs. It needs 50m elevation to register y’see. It’s the downs and alongs that the big ring is used for. I use it and will continue to for as long as they are economically viable. Sorry if this upsets you and your wee lapdog. I actually bought a 48t to put on one of my bikes but it’s gone now so that can wait for another suitable bike. Madness huh?

njee20
    Free Member

Insults? Your sarcastic tone showed your ignorance. It’s ok now, I see, although I do more climbing it doesn’t count because it comes in lumps! Makes total sense! A bit like eating a cake one slice at a time has no calories? 🙄

I’ll happily introduce myself should we meet, I’ll also very happily show you around my local riding. You clearly know nothing of it, so you may be surprised. No long climbs as you say, but a lot of interesting woodsy singletrack and what not.

I’m not the one saying everyone needs to go single ring, I’ve not said that at all, never have. I’ve said that many people will be surprised how little it ‘costs’ in gear terms, and I’ve also said that as long as people like what they ride then that’s fine. I’m really not sure why this topic always reduces to such petty arguing, and why people (in both camps) feel the need to so staunchly defend their position.

There’s a good chance I’m fitter than you, there’s also a good chance I ride a lighter bike than you. These 2 factors alone are reason enough that I may get on with a single ring whilst you don’t. Local terrain, riding style etc are also other reasons.

grum
    Free Member

For the real mountain biking however, triple is king.

The whole point of “big mmountain days” (please note that I have not referred to real mountain biking as you state)

njee20
    Free Member

Thanks Grum, saved me looking for it 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well this one will only be solved by measuring it.

D0NK

geeeez this has all turned a bit handbags.

some people like a triple and the range of gears that provides

some peoples big ring spends a lot more time blunting carving lines on rocks or the edge of roll ins than it does actually carrying a chain.

Some people lose their chain a lot and can manage with 9/10/11 gears

1xX 2xX 3xX ride what you want and feel free to recommend it to others but don’t try saying your way is the only real way to ride bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

Well said that man!

devs
    Free Member

My bad. Apologies. It wasn’t what I meant. TdBN (the example I gave) has a huge descent followed by a relatively flat section that I caned in top gear and I just do it for fun. I would suggest that if you had aspirations of doing well then you would need those top 2 gears. You will be fitter than me, that’s irrelevant, you’ll have to be superman to catch a gravity assisted fat knacker with 44:11 on a 15km flat out descent. That’s the whole point of this debate which a few seem to have ignored. Who still uses a big ring? Us that still need it, that’s who. When your hills are big going over a couple of them can put you 35kms away from your car. I suppose you could use your little rings to climb back over them again if you’re fit enough but I’ll be big ringing back along the land rover tracks and will be waiting in the pub. Ken? I’d love to ride the Surrey Hills but there’s zero chance of it in the foreseeable future, the first 300 miles of the journey has just too much riding to offer and then there would be the lakes etc after that.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s the whole point of this debate which a few seem to have ignored. Who still uses a big ring? Us that still need it, that’s who.

Certainly not something I’d disputed. I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than ride a 15km fireroad descent, or ride Land Rover tracks rather than ride over some hills, so it’s a good thing you have that, whilst I have endless rolling singletrack!

Edit: looking again at the TdBN entry list I see Dave Henderson on there, he’s rather pacey, and AFAIK the GT boys are still on XX transmissions with a 42t outer (at biggest).

CaptJon
    Free Member

I was being sarcastic… My references were to outdated, antiquated pieces of equipment that were once fine for their intended uses, but these days we use much more modern and higher performance tools for the job…

I got your aim, but you’re criticising someone for using three chain rings when you only use two – there is no change in technology, you’re just using less of it. Your examples didn’t make any sense.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I’ve passed plenty of riders using my 44t ring when racing in XC Marathons. Very useful for catching the riders ahead whilst flying down long fire roads or short tarred sections. I must have made up 20 – 30 places this way in the Whinlatter Challenge and the Border Raid alone.

devs
    Free Member

Certainly not something I’d disputed. I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than ride a 15km fireroad descent, or ride Land Rover tracks rather than ride over some hills, so it’s a good thing you have that, whilst I have endless rolling singletrack!

Edit: looking again at the TdBN entry list I see Dave Henderson on there, he’s rather pacey, and AFAIK the GT boys are still on XX transmissions with a 42t outer (at biggest).

You’ve clearly never done one and I suggest you do. I’m in a really fortunate position where I have more wooded singletrack than you can shake a huge stick at but also mountains just 20 mins away. Indeed I’m staring at 840m of awesomeness just now. The end justifies the means in big mountain days. The views and the wild trails are what it’s all about but unfortunately they don’t have car parks full of Audis at the bottom of each one. They have to be got to and got back from, and this can be a lot of fun in itself. A rutted washed out rocky LRT at max chat makes me grin as much as nailing a DH course with all its jumps and drops. YMMV.

njee20
    Free Member

You’ve clearly never done one and I suggest you do

Never done what? A 15km fireroad descent? You’re right, it’s not what I enjoy about mountain biking. I’ve done 5k+ ones, and it’s dull, and slightly depressing IMO. But as I said previously, as you clearly do enjoy that, then it’s lucky you have such terrain.

The views and the wild trails are what it’s all about but unfortunately they don’t have car parks full of Audis at the bottom of each one

I’m really not quite sure why you feel the need to keep getting in there with the facetious digs? It’s all very petty.

There are some stunning views down here too, from the top of Holmbury Hill you can see the London skyline and the English Channel. You do sometimes see other riders out (often not, particularly midweek), but I don’t do it for the sense of being out in the wilderness.

mboy
    Free Member

Right, it’s been more than 10 hours, I’ve had a sleep, I’ve done some work, and you’ve STILL not enlightened us as to how you don’t snap chains on your singlespeed (I’m assuming you ride it on the flat only as it doesn’t have a 582% gear range that you supposedly NEED to ride proper mountain bike trails) when you do snap chains on your multi geared bike?

You appear to have based your arguments on something you didn’t check. All mine, XT and pG980 have the 12T.

I am aware of the 12T cog on older 9spd cassettes, most these days have a 13T cog as their 8th cog down (as do 10spd cassettes their 9th cog), so my argument is more than relevant.

I would suggest that if you had aspirations of doing well then you would need those top 2 gears.

This is purely a hunch now, but based on what you’ve said, and knowing what I do of njee’s riding abilities (and my own and many other peoples), you’ve not taken into account that your own cadence is probably quite low, and proper athletes are able to spin the pedals at quite a rate… I can just about still turn the pedals and contribute momentum on my road bike in its tallest gear (50/12) at over 45mph, where you may well struggle to turn the pedals and contribute over 30mph on the same gear ratio.

Forget spending loads of money on new bikes, millions of gears, lightweight kit etc. The best thing I ever did for my fitness and speed when it comes to mountain biking was learn to spin properly. The point is, that we don’t need a lot of the kit that we often justify that we do. It puzzles the hell out of me that you ride a singlespeed, yet in the same breath say you also need a 22/32/44 setup with a wide range cassette on another bike. I probably couldn’t get away with a singlespeed, unless on some flatter local trails, yet I know I can happily ride most things on a 1×10, and absolutely anything on a 2×10 on which bike I have a 491% gear range. For balance, you are running a 582% gear range with a 22/32/44 and 11-32 setup, but when I first started mountain biking back in the early 90’s my first bike had a 28/38/48 12-28 setup which gave me exactly 400% gear range and I coped OK. I have 91% more gear spread than that now, with fewer gears overall, and one fewer chainring, and it works flawlessly!

Anyway… It’s all irrelevant when it comes to the top end, as at 11 and a bit stone, on road downhill I’m never going to win a race, as I could be pedalling like billy oh and a fatman will simply freewheel past me! But I bet you’d now like to argue physics, and how a fat man won’t go any quicker than a skinny man… 😉

I’m starting to think about getting rid of my chain rings altogether, just pumping everything.

Ace! Hobby horse FTW!!! 8)

Northwind

devs – Member

(please note that I have not referred to real mountain biking as you state)

We’ve reached that exciting point when someone starts disagreeing with themself 😆

psling
    Free Member

…and proper athletes are able to spin the pedals at quite a rate

Uh, ho… I can see this thread going into it’s next 4 pages now… 😈

grum
    Free Member

Indeed I’m staring at 840m of awesomeness just now.

lol

I ride quite a bit in the Lakes – plenty of hills, big ups and downs etc – there are really are very few occasions where having a big ring will make any difference at all – and if there are it’s not the kind of stuff I (or most people) care about – ie gaining an extra couple of MPH by going for it on a road descent.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Right who wants to win this one – ruler out measure your manhood then that will settle who is right…

it’s all about who ishas the biggest dick isn’t it?

grum
    Free Member

Well devs has ‘840m of awesomeness’ so I don’t think you can really compete with that. 🙂

devs
    Free Member

Right, it’s been more than 10 hours, I’ve had a sleep, I’ve done some work, and you’ve STILL not enlightened us as to how you don’t snap chains on your singlespeed (I’m assuming you ride it on the flat only as it doesn’t have a 582% gear range that you supposedly NEED to ride proper mountain bike trails) when you do snap chains on your multi geared bike?

Chain in straight line no snappy. Chain go from middle to outside constant bendy bendy = Snappy snappy.

njee20
    Free Member

I fear we’ll all struggle to challenge Devs though.

mrmo
    Free Member

Le Chable to Tortin

Is this enough of a climb for you, done on a double 29×32 bottom gear.
    All 2100m vertical, and according to Google and memory c15miles of climbing.

devs
    Free Member

Well devs has ‘840m of awesomeness’ so I don’t think you can really compete with that.

Right outside my window. read it and weep biatches.

I fear we’ll all struggle to challenge Devs though.

I choose pints of Guinness as my weapon 🙂

timb34
    Free Member

On a related note, I see that the full range of 2013 SLX bits and pieces are now up for sale on French and German websites.

Despite not having 840m of awesomeness I’m planning to go 2×10 when enough bits wear out – previous calculations suggested that I’d lose half a gear on each end (compared with 3×9) and I reckon that’s a fair trade-off for less front changing, simpler & lighter.

A quick add-up on alltricks.fr suggests a set of cranks, FD, RD, shifters, chain and cassette would cost 319€. Seems OK.

mogrim

Right outside my window. read it and weep biatches.

Bola del Mundo outside my window, 1352m of climbing. And yeah, there are mtb trails off the top of it too. Suck on that one, biatch!

🙂

devs
    Free Member

Bola del Mundo outside my window, 1352m of climbing. And yeah, there are mtb trails off the top of it too. Suck on that one, biatch!

Doffs cap. Do you get Guinness there too?

mogrim

Doffs cap. Do you get Guinness there too?

‘Fraid so 🙂

And we have big rings and we’re not afraid to use them.

devs
    Free Member

Can you ski it too?

mogrim

Can you ski it too?

Yes. But not in a big ring.

mboy
    Free Member

Uh, ho… I can see this thread going into it’s next 4 pages now…

Hahaha. Wasn’t talking about myself just so you know Pete! 😉

Chain in straight line no snappy. Chain go from middle to outside constant bendy bendy = Snappy snappy.

If only everything in life were as simple as… Well… You!!! 😕

Tell me now why singlespeed chains are made especially tough on purpose? Is it to do with the extra torque they are likely to be subjected to making them more likely to fail in use? Geared chains are subject to some sideways forces, but small ones, unless you’re in the big ring and largest sprocket all the time, your geared bike chains should be getting an easier time of it than the chain on your singlespeed… Unless you’re vastly different to the rest of the world, who generally all buy especially stronger chains for their singlespeeds! Perhaps it’s just fashion and there’s no real reason? 😉

kiwijohn

WHO CARES!!!

devs
    Free Member

Yes. But not in a big ring.

*packs bags and sells house*

hilldodger
    Free Member

devs – Member
    big mountain days…

…in the UK 😆

devs
    Free Member

I don’t know about you hilldodger but teh likes of Torridon, the Cairngorms is plenty big enough for me. Without uplift there’s only so much I can do in a day and this part of scotland fits the bill perfectly. Now if we were to take a resort like Tignes for example, where the highest point is 3500m and the base is at 2100, that’s only 1400m of vertical. I’ve never biked it but I’ve skied it lots but I really doubt I could bike up it all the way seeing as it’s glacier for quite a large section of that. On Sunday I did nigh on that amount of vertical in 2 hills and they are comparatively small compared to their neighbours. Scoff all you want but there are long technical descents around here that can rival anything in Morzine etc, they just aren’t lift served and they are far enough apart to warrant using a big ring.

mboy
    Free Member

Scoff all you want but there are long technical descents around here that can rival anything in Morzine etc, they just aren’t lift served and they are far enough apart to warrant using a big ring.

Again, that’s your viewpoint.

I’ve done LOTS of Alpine riding, including long road descents, and I can say a 44T outer ring would be far more hindrance than help. Given the technical nature of most of the riding, and the fact I used my bashring a lot on each occasion. Found that even on the longest downhills, I was able to still pedal 36/11 fine, until it got steep enough to freewheel anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 203 total)

The topic ‘the big ring??’ is closed to new replies.