Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best Sat Nav please
  • jiff
    Free Member

Am buying a Sat Nav for the first time and would appreciate your views on whether you like the one you have and why please.

It must be easy to use and be able to provide frequent updates around traffic jams / accidents / etc. Also notice of speed cameras will be required (some of the Sat Navs advertise as being able to warn of mobile cameras …. is this correct ???).

Ideally would like to spend around £100, but prepared to go higher if any recommendations are good enough.

Thanks folks.

J

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Any Tom Tom.

fatalbert
    Free Member

I work within haulage we have 60 drivers, a few have bought truck specific satnavs the majority use normal shop bought tomtoms

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

Copilot live if you have an iPhone/Smartphone ?

I use it all day every day and its spot on.

jiff
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Couple for Tom Toms – how effective is their warning for the mobile speed cameras. I don’t generally tend to speed (honest officer !), but am wary that some forces will have greater leaway than others…

spudly1979
    Free Member

I use this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Start-25-Europe-countries/dp/B004W1GQEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360963847&sr=8-1

Do about 40-45000 miles a year and it’s great. Fast, easy to update, you can create and add points of interest, do itineraries, and the new bit that shows correct lane to be in for the next part of your journey is very useful in particularly complicated junctions.

CountZero

nealglover – Member
    Copilot live if you have an iPhone/Smartphone ?

I use it all day every day and its spot on.

+1
    The camera warnings are good, but rely on the accuracy of the info given; you get warnings of cameras that don’t exist any more, and mobile cameras can’t be listed.
    Currently £6.99 from whichever App Store you favour.

john_drummer
    Free Member

PSA! IIRC use of a SatNav in France that warns of speed cameras ahead may not be acceptable to les gendarmes.

check before you go; if this is true and you’re using satnav in France, turn off the warning feature as soon as you get into France

andyl
    Free Member

there is an update on the tom tom website for using in france. You can also delete the camera locations from individual countries but they have got round it in france by not calling them speed camera positions.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just bought a garmin 1440t from halfrauds, lovely clear 5″ screen, 150 down to 70 with the added discount code. Really impressed so far but it’s going to get it its first proper test today going thro Birmingham. Also has free live traffic monitoring.

ask1974
    Free Member

I use TomTom for Sat Nav and my iPhone for traffic. The idea of paying for traffic updates just annoys me… Can’t really comment on other brands as I’ve had TomTom for years, on my third model now. I like the clean user interface.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Waze on your smartphone…. it’s free and is excellent. live updates and they turn out to be bogus you simply click on the “bogus alert” button and it clears it from the system…

there’s just no need to spend money on a sat nav any more…

MrNutt
    Free Member

navigon on the iphone here

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve used TomTom and Garmin

Both have their + points, but for me the Garmin is better. The routing seems to be a bit better than TomTom and if you get the right Garmin model, it’s free map updates for life. The one I’ve got has traffic updates as well, which seems to work fine, but I’ve not encountered any really bad traffic for it to have re-routed anything yet!

The model I have also has photos of major junctions, typically A roads and motorways, so as you approach you see a photo of what’s ahead of you showing you where to go.

I also find the Garmin UI a bit better to use

The TomToms I’ve had have also had an annoying habit of identifying sharp bends in a road as junctions and sometimes it would ask you to ‘stay right’ or ‘bear left’ at daft times. Also found that roundabouts are sometimes not clear on a TomTom. Having said that, it gets you to your destination!

Both are easy to upload POI’s, etc to

stufive
    Free Member

ive had a tom tom one for years its great just need to update it now and again, small enought to just shove in a bag too

sbob
    Free Member

I was put off Tom Tom when a retailer showed me how many warranty returns he was constantly dealing with, however that was six years ago (my Garmin is still going fine).

stufive
    Free Member

I proberbly would use my S3 ive got a good app for it I just never got round to getting a cradle for it

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best Sat Nav please’ is closed to new replies.