• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by LAT.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The Antarctic Snow Cruiser
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Popped up in my feed. ACE. Along with the Ekranoplan this has to be some real-life -Thunderbirds shizz? Any more such real-life Gerry Andersonesque behemoths worth exploring?

T

A decent watch:

chestercopperpot
    Free Member
    Flaperon

Clive Cussler’s “Atlantis Found” is a real laugh and features the snow cruiser and a good description of what driving it might be like.

As a book it’s predictable, one-dimensional, shallow, implausible, and pretty much junk food for the mind. It’s also one of my favorite reads. 🙂

mashr

Along with the Ekranoplan this has to be some real-life -Thunderbirds shizz?

There’s a key difference though, the Ekranoplans actually worked!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ 🤣

Yes the Snow Cruiser was a total failure and utterly bonkers. It reminds me of something unlikely and futuristic that I would see cutaway diagrams of in dad’s ‘Eagle’ annuals.

‘In the near-future we might journey on giant Snow-Cruisers to Undersea Permaglass Domed-Cities submerged a mile below the Antarctic Sea Ice, wearing gossamer-thin space-foil boiler-suits’

timbog160

Well according to Wikipedia it’s still out there somewhere!

timbog160

As an aside a lot of the vehicles that featured in Thunderbirds were based on the track layout of the Vickers Vigor bulldozer…

epicyclo

Surprised no-one has mentioned LeTourneau. And it was electric (sort of).

timbog160

Yeeessss!!! That’s what I was trying to think of but couldn’t remember what it was called!

LAT

There’s a LeTourneau LCC-1 snow train at the Yukon Transport Museum. Not quite as whacky as the one above, but pretty Thunderbirds.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The Antarctic Snow Cruiser’ is closed to new replies.