Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The age old question….. best hardcore hardtail, 26", for circa £1k to £1.5??
  • Lofty
    Free Member

i know it may go over some old ground but i follow this closely and would be interested in some alternative opinions….

Whats the best 26″ hardcore hardtail out there for £1k to £1.5k?

Needs to be a complete bike off the shelf. i’ve had a few Genesis Core’s and absolutly love them but having had 3 in a row, and definitly wanting to stick with 26″, it’s time for a change….

Any opinions / suggestions welcomed!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Why of the shelf mate? You could build a brilliant BFe/Alpine etc with that budget.

rOcKeTdOg

and definitly wanting to stick with 26″, it’s time for a change….

Mintman
    Free Member

Not sure how hardcore you want but my carbon 456 with 140mm forks seems to be good at everything I’ve got the bottle to do. Full builds are in your price range as well – just not sure where it sits on the gnar-o-meter as its long top tube might lend it to XC more than anything else…

Lofty
    Free Member

in think what i’d ultimately like is Stanton Slackline but i cant make it affordable with the custom build, or complete bikes they offer online.

It is a cyce scheme purchase so off the shelf makes it much easier and they are better value unless you get into 2nd hand parts.

i’m keen on a Ragley Marley, Saracen Zen (yes 650b!), even an orange crush maybe?

there are a zillion 29’ers and cheap XC hardtails but i cant find a an aggressive hardtail that genuinly does it all??

captaintomo
    Free Member

Whyte 901/5?

ajantom

Something like an Alpine? This is it as a single speed, but it currently has gears.
    Frame was £120ish on eBay (bargain I know!)
    2nd hand pikes in vgc, were about £150.
    The whole build was well under 1K

*edit* just read the bit bout it being a CTW scheme…….I’d Second the On-one line then. Very good value for money.

batman11
    Free Member

Cotic do a complete bfe build for £2000 and will supply to most bike shops my be do a deal with your lbs if you use them a lot you will need a we bit more money to add to it but I’m sure your shop won’t mind that I know mine is ok with it etc.
    there a great bike and a good spec at that price.
    To be fair to other comments on one are great value but there spec options are at best limited and a bit poor SRAM gears are ok more at cost to replace than shimano mechs etc and I’ve never got a good set of avid brakes from them on the two bikes I’ve had always needed bleeding multiple times till they got anywhere near working and I’ve always ended up splicing them with in months to.
    Other option is to buy a frame you like with cash, and if your local store is willing use the 1000/1500 to buy the comports you want and the frame number is there for the vouchers use.
    I did this last time I got a vocher myself. but as I said I get on well with my local shop and we used the frame number the way I said.

bowie278
    Free Member

Got my Cotic Soul for sale… See http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1381728/ if you’re interested! In your budget!

wonderchump
    Free Member

Buy that guys Soul ^^^ or consider a BFe if you want to get more rad. My Soul is more than capable for the riding I do – natural trails, trail centres, etc. It’s also tame enough for all day rides as it’s not too heavy.

argoose
    Free Member

+1 On One c456

timmys

in think what i’d ultimately like is Stanton Slackline but i cant make it affordable with the custom build, or complete bikes they offer online.

Probably still out of your price range but if you want to try and hold out and get the bike you really want then the good news is there is a slightly cheaper Slackline model about to appear. Cheaper as it’s not magic sauce 853 steel, also has fatter seat and head tubes for droppers and tapers.

bowie278
    Free Member

Thanks for your comment WonderChump – great bike but just doesn’t get used.

A well capable and all rounded hardtail that takes everything you throw at it and is still very comfortable for all-dayers.

I think Lofty would love it! :mrgreen:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The age old question….. best hardcore hardtail, 26", for circa £1k to £1.5??’ is closed to new replies.