• This topic has 605 replies, 92 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 606 total)
  • The abolition of private schools
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

It seems that a big chunk of the ‘subsidies’ are the payment of fees for the children of MoD/foreign office staff who move around internationally – so the children get a stable education [so probably 100% boarding schools].
    I’m not sure how they’d deal with this if those schools did not exist.

With a massive private boarding school provision in Calais.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Indeed outofbreath, mine would just be going to an international school in Asia if private and selective schools were banned.

gonefishin
    Free Member

educational performance has high genetic component

Has it not then?

It’s a lot less than you’d think. Parental attitudes and support to education (rather than their intelligence) are better indicators of performance. That said, given that once you correct for the selective nature of private schools state schools outperform them it’s about time that those who go to private schools were afforded the benefits of a state school education.

E.G. https://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jun/16/accesstouniversity-private-schools

jimdubleyou

State boarding schools are a thing. Could be more of a thing if there’s demand for it

FWIW, a lot of private schools are actually a bit crap. I’ve heard of one that boosts it’s academic results by entering the poor performers as independent candidates.

Garry_Lager

Whats nice about Labour’s position is that revoking charitable status is now seen as moderate, so some of the imbalances will be addressed & that one seeming particularly unfair

Yes, classic politics as the art of the possible (meaning it was certainly an accident on behalf of labour). Stake out an extreme position to frame the debate, to shift what you really want in the centre making it appear reasonable and achievable.

Abolishing private schools is clearly correct if you’re building Society 1.1, but we’re somewhat further along the line than that. Have to be realistic.

SaxonRider

To people suggesting that there are all sorts of imbalances in the system:

I would propose that we’re never going to get rid of ALL inequalities. That would be impossible. HOWEVER… I think it is reasonable to suggest that education and health should be considered two social “basics” in which the only real differentiation should be in terms of local, discretionary, provision.

So, for example, if a parents group at local school wanted to band together and fund extra MFL teaching, or additional music provision, or something, that would not breach the idea of equality in education. At least the way I am thinking about it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I think it does, however. People should not be allowed to buy an advantage for their own kids. This means that people who don’t have money end up disadvantaged, which I think is abhorrent. Money should not define your potential for achievement; lack of it should not reduce your chance of success. So if this means certain freedoms of the rich are curtailed, then so be it. They have enough other advantages as it is they don’t need any more.

But it’s not as black and white as that. Many poor families are aspirational for their kids, work hard to support them through school etc and they get success. They might have got more if they went to Eton etc but they still managed to significantly improve their lot. A lot of the failure to progress is a sub culture issue, some parents do not engage or participate in their kids education, some actively fight the system.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Yes, classic politics as the art of the possible (meaning it was certainly an accident on behalf of labour). Stake out an extreme position to frame the debate, to shift what you really want in the centre making it appear reasonable and achievable.

When a policy is so bad that even party supporters can only justify it with “We really want something else.”

It’s just a mental policy from a party that knows it’s gonna lose and can therefore keep Momentum happy rather than making any attempt at a sane manifesto.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s a lot less than you’d think.

Surprised you know what I think.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I suspect this press release was timed perfectly to cause indigestion whilst the Labour Party have lunch in Brighton this afternoon.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Surprised you know what I think.

Ah, so we’re doing the deliberately confrontational thing.

Would a change to “It’s a lot less that one might think” make the, what I certainly considered rather obvious, meaning any clearer?

BillMC

The charitable contributions to fees tend to be for children of the teachers at the school, children of members of the cathedral choir and for the distressed gentlefolk, certainly not for Joe Blow from down the estate who happens to be sharp-witted. Another consideration is the damage done to kids by boarding (see Oliver James), he says ‘don’t’. Eton has inflicted enough damage on this country, time to change.

edhornby

You don’t have to close them per se: the private schools could just be turned into academies (the Co-op has an academy trust and is very successful at turning around failing schools) and the next academic year be selected on postcode same as all the other schools in that area.

If you selected on postcode then it would provide evidence once and for all that these vaunted private schools really are the academic bastions they proclaim because they’d have academically challenged kids from the poorest families suddenly turning into A* pupils.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another consideration is the damage done to kids by boarding

All kids at boarding schools? Of course, no one ever had any damage done at a day school did they? Let alone at a state day school. It’s only boarding schools that are bad. The posh ones even more so, amirite comrade?

The vast majority of those who went to boarding school suffered none of the “damage”.

This policy is just a nice prop for Labour to bash the poshos with, nothing more.

Dickyboy

If you selected on postcode

Wealthy parents would buy property in the “right” postcode, as they already do in some areas

perchypanther
    Free Member

Of course, no one ever had any damage done at a day school did they? Let alone at a state day school.

Day school?…..or, as I like to call it, a school.

Markie
    Free Member

Could state sector private schools still provide the education they do as private schools? Absent changes that would happen over time (perhaps selling off of facilities, staff attrition), their funding per pupil would immediately be cut (I assume), class sizes would increase, teacher numbers fall.

Further, a big problem in the (in the main, ofsted ‘inadequate’) schools I work in is that a great many classes have one or two deliberately immensely disruptive children, and another one or two kids with (generally non statemented) SEN. It’s hard to balance these classes, a problem generally not present in private schools.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Further, a big problem in the (in the main, ofsted ‘inadequate’) schools I work in is that a great many classes have 1 or 2 deliberately immensely disruptive children, and another one or two kids with (generally non statemented) SEN. It’s hard to balance these classes, a problem generally not present in private schools.

Maybe they should take all the disruptive / SEN kids and teach them in the former  private schools with  smaller class sizes and greater resources and allow the  ordinary schools to teach the rest of the kids in a better environment as a  result.

BillMC

You could select on postcode that cuts across different types of community, I’m pretty sure Derby used to do it.
    CFH, do try to avoid lowering the tone. Petty insults simply reflect impotent outrage.

Gotama
    Free Member

Maybe they should take all the disruptive / SEN kids and teach them in the former private schools with smaller class sizes and greater resources and allow the ordinary schools to teach the rest of the kids in a better environment as a result.

Isn’t that what a grammar school system does in effect? Ignoring the use of private school assets obvs.

jimdubleyou

Maybe they should take all the disruptive / SEN kids and teach them in the former  private schools with  smaller class sizes and greater resources and allow the  ordinary schools to teach the rest of the kids in a better environment as a  result.

Maybe every private school should be made to run a Pupil Referral Unit as a loss making exercise in addition to their “normal” school provision.

Markie
    Free Member

Maybe they should take all the disruptive / SEN kids and teach them in the former private schools with smaller class sizes and greater resources and allow the ordinary schools to teach the rest of the kids in a better environment as a result.

Yep. The ability for children who would benefit from being statemented actually being statemented and then being provided with the educational support they need combined with the necessary social, emotional and educational support being given to the disruptive kids would (IMO, obvs) utterly transform the schooling experience of the majority of pupils I see.

That said, I don’t believe that should be tied to the abolition of private schools, a policy I oppose.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Isn’t that what a grammar school system does in effect?

Not really.

Grammar schools select the brightest and throw resources at them while leaving the rest to flounder in their fate.

Might be a refreshing change if we threw the resources at the struggling kids who probably need them more and then let the smart kids do their best with what’s left over.

I’m sure they’ll manage.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Might be a refreshing change if we threw the resources at the struggling kids who probably need them more and then let the smart kids do their best with what’s left over.

Costs the state about 70k per annum to send a kid to an EBD – they still throw knives at each other for jollies.

I’d rather that kind of money was spent on kids who might uplift humanity scientifically and culturally.

Markie
    Free Member

Isn’t that what a grammar school system does in effect?

The problems begin in primary school, right from reception. If you’re unlucky (for want of a better word) with your cohort, your chances of reaching your academic potential are slashed – grammars could easily be kicked out of your reach through no fault of your own.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Yep. The ability for children who would benefit from being statemented actually being statemented and then being provided with the educational support they need combined with the necessary social, emotional and educational support being given to the disruptive kids would (IMO, obvs) utterly transform the schooling experience of the majority of pupils I see.

That said, I don’t believe that should be tied to the abolition of private schools, a policy I oppose.

They already have boarding EBDs and they cost a good deal more than sending a kid to Eton – and the teachers regularly get assaulted and abused. Think being a prison officer – but shitter – the grounds are often pretty though and can look a bit private schooley.

kimbers

How does this actually poll?

a lot of commentators seem to think badly (quite likely send their kids to private schools)

but like nationalising the railways I think this may be quite popular

slowoldman

Be interesting to see how they are going to find 615000 school places in an already overstretched state system.

Isn’t the idea that the private schools’ resources become incorporated into the public sector? Anyway I don’t necessarily think it’s a good thing to disband private schools but I do think that public funding by grants and tax breaks should end and charitable status should be removed. Of course that would probably make them even more elitist. Can’t win really.

sadmadalan

Aggghhhhh – the politics of Envy

How does closing down private schools improve the quality of state education? If we improved the quality of state education, then private schools would cease to exist. I agree that for a pupil to be educated at private school should cost the state no more than educating the child in a state school. And remember that each child at a private school (UK residents) does not cost the state anything to educate them.

The charity commission is already working hard to ensure that any private school who has charitable status is actually doing some charitable work. If we get rid of this, then schools will simple become private companies and any benefit that they do will disappear.

We can argue that it is unfair that a child has a better education than another, but school only forms part their education. Some children will benefit from their parents wanting their children to do better.

And yet again the Labour Party is being dragged down by the dogma of the hard left. We have bigger issues than this at the moment, focus on these.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d rather that kind of money was spent on kids who might uplift humanity scientifically and culturally.

and just let the other kids knife each other?

That’s some problem solving right there.

Edukator
    Free Member

Just remove the ridiculous charity status and get some tax to support state schools.

Yup. And tax private schools like other things that have a cost to society such as cigarettes or alcohol.

nickc

Wealthy parents would buy property in the “right” postcode, as they already do in some areas

In Brighton they introduced a lottery system to avoid this sort of thing. The school the child attended was chosen at random I understood the catchment area was v small however. I don’t know if it’s still the scheme they use, it was quite unpopular with parents.

Personally I’m less interested in preventing a small section of society buying education than I am of raising the standard of the rest.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

and just let the other kids knife each other?

That’s some problem solving right there.

Who said anything about letting them kill “each other”?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressment

I hear the Royal Navy currently has a staffing issue. 😀

kimbers

And yet again the Labour Party is being dragged down by the dogma of the hard left. We have bigger issues than this at the moment, focus on these.

Id argue that inequality is at the root cause of many of our problems

whether this will fix it is another question

certainly the genetics argument OP referred to indicates that private education confers advantages above the ability of those who go to them, compared to those who dont

molgrips
    Free Member

But if we stretch that further…

No. Don’t stretch it further. I’m not a communist, don’t make out that I am just to dismiss me.

Education needs to be equal. This is the absolute bottom line. You can have your nice cars and holidays, your au-pairs, your freedom to have inspiring educational holidays. But every kid has the right to good schooling, this is fundamental.

And as long as the rich can buy their way into better schools then the quality of everyone else’s education is not their problem so they won’t care about it. Also private schools promote segregation. If you grow up mixing with bankers, artists, explorers, astronauts, etc etc then you may view these things as possibilities for yourself. If you never meet one, you’ll see that world as something else that isn’t you. School is almost a kid’s whole world outside of home, and segregating people based on money is damaging to those who don’t have it.

I don’t want to take anyone’s opportunities away. I want to make sure everyone has them. Let’s fund after school clubs and school trips. Let’s have free childcare so both parents can work and you can all go on decent holidays together. Let’s have funded ‘summer camps’ so all kids can do stuff when off school and your parents aren’t.

You capitalist pig dog! All of your property and earnings will be appropriated by the glorious state and distributed “fairly” among those far more worthy than you.

This kind of mockery does your arguments no favours.

anagallis_arvensis

I have a problem if they cost the public pound more than equivalent state education

Not an easy calculation to make given a wider view.

perchypanther
    Free Member

But every kid has the right to good schooling,

…except the stabby ones?

Sandwich

The problems begin in primary school, right from reception. If you’re unlucky

The second sentence should read “If you aren’t from a rich family or privileged” to use the other term.

The policy is about abolishing charitable status. As a country we need to go further and avoid generating pockets of middle class occupation of ‘better’ state schools.

All state schools should be streamed to provide each child with a comprehensive (as in all around and good quality not secondary modern) education. We fail our children by encouraging the academically lacking middle class child while restricting the chances for the less privileged bright child.

Yes, sometimes Alexander is not as bright as mummy and daddy may think and Eton may not be the best place for him.

A thumbs up for Molgrips who posted while I was typing.

5plusn8
    Free Member

It is only a minority of private schools that feed into the political system and establishment. The rest of them are filled with kids whose parents range from electricians to billionaires.
    My kids are private, its a well known school but doesn’t produce any politicians (yet) however lots of Drs, accountants, lawyers, engineers, physicists etc.
    My wife is a teacher, she worked in state and private, and when exposed to kids in private who admire other kids for doing well she made us work hard to save and persuade our parents to help. It is my choice, I have a 15 year old car and we don’t spend frivolously elsewhere.
    What pisses me off about labour (whom I would vote for under different circumstances) is that I think they are in on the same bullshit corruption as the Tories, otherwise the biggest drum they would be banging, about inequality, would be about large company and rich individual tax avoidance. If they paid all their taxes we would have hospitals and schools on every street corner.
    It’s the political elephant in the room. All other discussions are meaningless in the light of how much money disappears off shore.

gonefishin
    Free Member

If we improved the quality of state education, then private schools would cease to exist.

I wish people wouldn’t parrot statements like this. State education is already better than Private. Once you correct for the selective nature of private schools they do not provide a better education. Just compare the performance of state vs private pupils with that same entrance qualifications at university. State pupils do better.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 606 total)

The topic ‘The abolition of private schools’ is closed to new replies.