• This topic has 605 replies, 92 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 6 posts - 601 through 606 (of 606 total)
  • The abolition of private schools
  • anagallis_arvensis

If you believe this, you trust any govt to not just make a nice vote winning gesture and not back it up, then you are specially deluded. I’d back it all the way if they escrowed 15k a year per pupil with a politically independent oversight committee..

Great so you agree I’m right, thanks, you got there in the end!!!

5plusn8
    Free Member

I agree you are deluded.
    And a bit slow on the uptake. I made a similar statement pages ago and you have only just appreciated it now.

mefty
    Free Member

Unfortunately it’s very hard to use their overall approach as a model since so much of it relies on “have a massive sustainable income from property you’ve owned for half a millenia”, but still. Find a painting worth £10 million quid in the attic? Get it sold quick, don’t waste a penny on insurance and galleries, we’re a bloody school.

The Arnold Foundation is all new money raised and does not rely on the original endowment, which actually is used to fund places for local children. The school puts effort in but no significant money. That said, it did invest a small amount in reconnecting, and generally being more proactive, with its alumni. That has no doubt enabled them to raise such significant new funding.

Northwind

mefty

The Arnold Foundation is all new money raised and does not rely on the original endowment, which actually is used to fund places for local children

Yes I know, like I say we nicked it. But the Arnold foundation is also pretty new, so obviously I wasn’t referring to that.

(seriously, you know about the Sheriff endowment and its ongoing impact, and it couldn’t possibly be clearer that I was referring to that not to the Arnold foundation. So were you just looking for something to disagree with?)

Anyone seeking inspiration from their example can emulate the arnold foundation, and their centuries of pragmatic, sustainable management of property and funds. We might even manage to get some of their ethical/moral stance to stick in the modern culture of beancounters and marketeers. But we can’t just magic up a load of million pound properties in W1. The real miracle is that in all that time, no bloody idiot sold the lot for a quick buck- I know it’s come close a couple of times.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

cormolpolly selective quoting, more ignoring. Read the rest of my post,

I selected the parts that I took issue with. The rest was irrelevant. It didn’t change the context of what you said, not did I quote something you didn’t say. If you expressed yourself poorly by all means restate and we can go from there.
    I suspect that you accidentally said exactly what you think, without realising what you were saying

Maybe address the content of what you said, instead of who is disagreeing with you.

try not to call people knobs and the adults will talk to you.

I agree you are deluded.
    And a bit slow on the uptake

So knobs = bad but deluded and slow on the uptake = good?

Bit of pot, kettle, black going on there, no?

I actually never said you were a self righteous knob, if you identified with that, maybe that’s your subconscious with niggling doubts. Whereas you directly targeting someone with a personal insult. If you are going to hold yourself up as the adult in the room, maybe you’d do better to model adult behaviour?

mefty
    Free Member

I am aware of the original endowment but in many ways there is nothing exceptional about what the school is or was doing with it compared to many other schools with similarly large endowments, whereas the Arnold Foundation, and its success, has really changed the way alot of Boarding Schools look at things. BTW the Chairman of the Governors when the Arnold Foundation was set up was a beancounter.

Viewing 6 posts - 601 through 606 (of 606 total)

The topic ‘The abolition of private schools’ is closed to new replies.