Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • That new type short front mudguard?
  • forgotmename
    Free Member

Hello, ive noticed a few pics in the mags of bikes with a little mudguard attached to the fork arch, it looks like its just the rear part of a fender type mudguard. Does anyone know what its called?
    Thanks.

sam_underhill

Mucky Nutz They seems expensive for what they are, but they work brilliantly. I just leave mine on all the time.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do you mean one of those what attaches to the arch and crown?

Make one with a bit of old innertube and some zip-ties, if you must. Can’t see the point meself.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I made one out of a section of a collar used by the dog post operation.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Can’t see the point meself.

Stops the vast majority of front tyre spray from reaching your face.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Erm, I find a crud catcher type thingy works well for that. My face isn’t right over the front wheel so doesn’t get mud flung in it. Maybe it’s something that only affects long people?

ahwiles
    Free Member

they’re great.

crud catchers stop the spray coming up from the tyre, but brace-fenders stop the spray that’s thrown forwards and up – that you then ride into as it slows down.

the combo of crud-catcher and brace-fender works very well.

you can use a piece of innertube, zip-tied to the brace and crown, or one of the neoprene things, but i hate the way these flap around.

i’ve never bought a muckynutz thing, but i have made my own out of old race-numbers, they work very well.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup work a treat worth the few quid they cost.

wwaswas

My face isn’t right over the front wheel so doesn’t get mud flung in it. Maybe it’s something that only affects long people?

At speed the muck is thrown in front of the bike off the wheel and you ride into it rather than it coming straight off the tyre into your eyes.

You do have to do more than 5mph for this to be an issue though – maybe this explains why you’re not familiar with the experience 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmm, I might give the ‘bit of innertube’ thing a try, see how effective it is. I suspect it only really comes into play in really muddy conditions with big tyres that throw up a lot of mud. And at pretty fast speeds. I can see it being useful to downhillaz, doing 30mph+ down muddy descents, but not really for XC pootling on drier surfaces.

You do have to do more than 5mph for this to be an issue though – maybe this explains why you’re not familiar with the experience

Pfft. I’m so fast the mud doesn’t even have time to get onto the tyre in the first place…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Erm, I find a crud catcher type thingy works well for that. My face isn’t right over the front wheel so doesn’t get mud flung in it. Maybe it’s something that only affects long people?

Maybe you just never manage to get up enough speed 😉 Your head should also be further forward to assist with front tyre traction, so perhaps you also need to revisit your positioning on the bike? I find that my average ‘ready’ position can leave me with my head/face directly above the point where the tyre contacts the ground, which means that I’m also in line with the crap being flung up through the fork. Even positioned further back, I’m often riding into the spray that has been flung up. The Mucky Nutz is preferred over the RRP-type guard as it also keeps a lot of dirt from being deposited on the fork wipers/seals.

z1ppy

At speed the muck is thrown in front of the bike off the wheel and you ride into it rather than it coming straight off the tyre into your eyes.

+1 as the down tube mounted crud guard’s are useless on there own, and quite effective with a piece of inner tube hung off the fork brace. BUT a proper front mudguard (eg: SKS shockguard) will stop all that crap and more.

I haven’t tried one of the small guards but can’t see them being very effective, especially to stop mud flying upward from the back of the wheel (as per what crud guards stop)
    Oh and a few ppl have built those types out of plastic milk bottle (2 litre jobbies)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe you just never manage to get up enough speed

Or maybe I just don’t ride in filthy conditions that much. I do however ride in Epping, where even when it’s bin 90ºF+ for weeks, there is still mud to be found (apart from that one time when temps went over 100ºF).

I’m sceptical as to the benefits, but I’m willing to give it a go see how it actually works.

Would I be right in thinking it would be more of an issue on long-travel forks on slacker frames? Like, er, downhill bikes?

tracknicko
    Free Member

i like that fender bender. where the **** do you get em from tho?

philconsequence
    Free Member

standard carrera fury with 120mm forks here and the muckynutz its a wonderful thing of loveliness! stops all the spray coming up at your face from the front of the bike when riding in the mud or rain, or muddy rain. also keeps the stanchions and seals a squillion times cleaner 🙂

love it, leave it on all year round

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Would I be right in thinking it would be more of an issue on long-travel forks on slacker frames? Like, er, downhill bikes?

Absolutely, although I still find them effective on 130mm set-ups I’ve used. As with all guards, they’re intended for mud; but they’re also going to stop any stones, etc. from being thrown up. The forest trails I mostly ride are soft most of the year and have a coating of twigs and pine cones/needles – the fork guard is effective at keeping all that from being thrown up into my eyes. The bottom line is: they’re a great solution to a particular problem. If you don’t have the problem, for whatever reason, then the solution obviously isn’t required.

user-removed
    Free Member

Another convert here for the Muckynutz mini mudguard. It just works – as a contact lens wearer I’d never be without one again. FWIW I ride a shortish travel hardtail and it really doesn’t have to be crazy-muddy to make it worthwhile – even the surface spray off wet tarmac can get grit and water under your lenses…

tracknicko
    Free Member

scrub that, just found some suitable black plastic to make my own.

its off a ‘black and red’ spiral bound notepad for anyone sat in an office thinking of doing similar 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

Hmm, I swear by the inner tube and cable tie solution (and a Crud Catcher) but I might well try to fashion one of these out of a milk bottle before I take the plunge…

z1ppy
    forgotmename
    Free Member

Yes i was looking for the Muckynutz type, thanks sam.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just made a Bender Fender type thing from a 2-litre milk bottle and some zip-ties. Pics later if I remember.

Cost? Nowt. Din’t even have to buy the milk, as me neighbour gave me the bottle, and the zip-ties I nicked from somewhere.

Now to test the prototype…

lipseal
    Free Member

Can’t you make one out of a washing up bottle? I’ll email Blue Peter see what they say, after the tennis.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

could a fast fender be easily modded to fit on a fork arch?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39951

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I used to make mudguards out of plastic lemonade and washing up liquid bottles. They din’t last very long, but cost nowt to make. Crud and other guards are worth a few quid cos they last ages, thus saving you hassle.

QuadXC
    Free Member

Got 1 of the mucky nutz guards, Only lasted 3weeks before a pine cone got sucked up and destroyed it 🙁
    Use a neoguard now, doesn`t look as good but works

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘That new type short front mudguard?’ is closed to new replies.