Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • That £6k trek everyone was moaning about
  • RealMan
    Free Member

How about this?

First Look! 2011 Scott 899 Gram Hardtail Mountain Bike, The New Scale

899g frame.

16.5lbs complete.

Price? £7,999.

Never been a scott guy, but I like that. A lot.

sslowpace
    Free Member

There is a piece in this months what mtb. Apparently you can buy the frame/components seperately and it is £250 less than buying complete… 😕

0091paddy
    Free Member

Nice.

The Plasma 3 is also available soon:

£11,000.

RealMan
    Free Member

I just pee'd a little.

rOcKeTdOg

i'll have 2 of the mtb's please, and one of those TT bikes, just so i can beat it to death with an iron bar to put the world out of it's misery of having to look at it

brant
    Free Member

Apparently you can buy the frame/components seperately and it is £250 less than buying complete…

I don't find that too surprising, considering bikes have 14% duty on import, and parts have 4% (generalising).

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

(RealMan) Yeah from your little dick.

You know what people say about dudes with exotic cars……………..

atlaz
    Free Member

What about that Cervelo frame that weighs something like 600-700g? Not MTB but even so that's a bit mental.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You know what people say about dudes with exotic cars……………..

They earn more than you?

coogan
    Free Member

Both plastic tat.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Sorry been around bikes all my life, still dont see why they justify 8 grand,its not like its hand made one off?!!!

ahwiles
    Free Member

how… is that even possible?

16.5lbs?

!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

How much do they justify then?

peteimpreza

elf check your emails

Mister-P
    Free Member

At least the MTB is subtle. The TT bike makes my eyes bleed.

If you can afford £8k on a bike do you think the £250 difference in price for the convenince of getting all the parts at once and already assembled is going to be off putting? I doubt it.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

did the press release not say it will be only available as a complete build initially

very nice though

epicyclo

It's good they photographed it in its intended riding territory…

Woody
    Free Member

I like that but the seatstays scare the crap out of me.

Should be comfy though……………..for a while !

0091paddy
    Free Member

with regards to the 'plastic tat' comment, you do realise that both of these bikes are raced on at the very top level?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Woody – Member

I like that but the seatstays scare the crap out of me.

Should be comfy though……………..for a while !

just a thought: carbon fibre fishing rods flex a lot more than a bike frame does, and they last ages…

RepacK
    Free Member

That TT is gopping..

Splash-man
    Free Member

With those seat stays is it considered to be full suspension ?????

As for that TT bike – well that had me reaching for the sink to dispose of my dinner. Boywill you need dark lenses to ride that 🙁

RealMan
    Free Member

All wrong, that TT bike is fantastic looking.

But I'll shut up now and let you guys get back to your 60s steel frames and beards.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

elf check your emails

Nah I'm in Wales innit? They don't gots internets. 🙁

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i'm with you real man. I think it looks ace. Not pretty by any stretch but neither was the countach or the stealth fighter or a helicopter gunship. You get my drift, it's menacing – I reckon it has guns and everything (that may justify the cost).

AdeC
    Free Member

I predict that many a poncy spanker will enjoy being rude on that Scott, while riding round the surrey trails.

0091paddy
    Free Member

nickc

ironic that in an economic downturn the price of top end bikes seems to be getting out of control

Woody
    Free Member

just a thought: carbon fibre fishing rods flex a lot more than a bike frame does, and they last ages…

True but they bend rather than take stresses and impacts from different angles + not many are used to catch fish 70kgs and above! I'm sure the engineers/designers have done their homework and it will be fine.

What's the warranty and is there a weight limit?

0091paddy
    Free Member

nickc – Top end is top end, doesn't mean the public will actually buy such bikes. The only reason why high end race machines as above are available is that a UCI rule was introduced to stop 'pro only' stuff, no irony at all as far as I can see.

It's highly interesting to see such developments, despite the cost.

If you have a spare £100,000 + you can even buy a bike like Chris Hoy rides.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

On top end bikes or anything thats high performance; you not only pay a premium for it, but due to the low volume nature there are added production costs and also you have to pay for the very expensive R&D, which the company want to get back as quickly as possible.

As it turns out the highest of the top end stuff is actually usually sold at a loss becuase when the R&D and tooling costs are factored in the sale price doesn't meet the true cost of each item.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'd prefer one of these, a tad less pricy too

aracer
    Free Member

If you can afford £8k on a bike do you think the £250 difference in price for the convenince of getting all the parts at once and already assembled is going to be off putting?

If I was spending £8k on a bike I'd want to spec all the parts myself, rather than have what they decide is best – a quick check of that piccy shows several bits I'd not choose to have. Though I suppose London bankers who want a bike to ride round Richmond Park probably don't want to be bothered by all that.

samuri
    Free Member

I don't get it. That MTB has two little tiny front cogs and a cassette the size of the moon. If it's a race bike it'd be the other way around.

And the TT bike is horrible. Both bikes have gears, they're not even competitive. You'll not find Chris Hoy racing on a bike with gears!

aracer
    Free Member

I don't get it.

Indeed!

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Chris Hoy goes round an indoor track when he races, he doesn't ride uphills.

The pinnarello sky bikes are £15k

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I'm sure they race plastic bikes on the circuit, but I'll keep my bike for years, they keep the race bike for what, a year, half a year. I'll stick with Alu if I'm going to keep it for as long as I do/have to.

yoda
    Free Member

Ignorant morons!!
    They're not plastic, it's cloth and glue!!
    Luddites the lot of you.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

plastic cloth

Scott = £1066/kilo

I think that's about the same rate as Saffron

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘That £6k trek everyone was moaning about’ is closed to new replies.