Home Forums Chat Forum Tether or one of those MiFi dongle hub things?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tether or one of those MiFi dongle hub things?
  • menothim
    Free Member

I got some great pointers last week when asking about my new Mac laptop.

So, I’d like to tap the hive mind again… I need to have internet access wherever I go, and I am wondering what will give better results – one of those dongle/hub things or tethering to a new iPad Pro with mobile connectivity?

I’m leaning towards the dongle/hub, but wonder what would you do?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Both but on different networks?

I usually tether to my work phone on Vodafone but often have to switch to my personal phone on o2 if the Vodafone signal isn’t strong enough.

It’s the available signal that’s usually the limiting factor rather than the hardware.

Drac

I use a dongle but I’ll be switching to my iPhone soon as 3 have their unlimited data offer on again.

Cougar

Can’t immediately see how any of those would give “better results” than the other, they’re all doing the same thing. Go with whichever is most convenient.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The advantage to the dongle will be battery life on the phone/tablet. also depending on where you are being able to place it somewhere with the best signal and still have the phone/tablet with you.

aside from the whichever one has the better data rate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wifi hotspot will trash battery life on a phone if used a long time. That’s the only thing I can think of.

You used to be able to get dongles with external antennae for better signal, but possibly not these days. But I think some of the hotspot type devices do have better reception. There’s a whole load of devices made for fitting to campervans and boats etc in remote locations.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wifi hotspot will trash battery life on a phone if used a long time. That’s the only thing I can think of.

But if you’re using it with your laptop, just plug it in? Mine gives the option of usb, BT or WiFi tethering too so you could even turn the wifi off.

I’d use the phone, a plan with more/unlimited data will be cheaper than two plans, and one less thing to carry.

Posting this from my laptop, tethered to an android phone on ee with unlimited data, uses about 12% battery per hour using as a hotspot and occasional apps.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can yes. But it means getting it out and putting it on the table, ever so slightly more of a faff when you are on a train with a tiny table etc.

scotroutes

I tether a Chromebook to my Xperia and battery life isn’t massively affected. No more than if I was just using the phone.

somouk
    Free Member

I’d be going with the dongle, I find mine gives a much more stable connection when on a train or in a place where my phone has no signal at all. Also means you can place it in the place with best signal and still be able to use your phone to call someone to discuss what you’re looking at etc.

I had an extra line added on EE for mine and just move data over as I need it.

dissonance

, I find mine gives a much more stable connection when on a train or in a place where my phone has no signal at all

Dongles are, generally, just data specific phones. SO they will have exactly the same problems unless the dongle has an amazing aerial.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tether or one of those MiFi dongle hub things?’ is closed to new replies.