• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tennis Elbow
  • ready

I did a search but couldn’t find any related posts within the last 5 years so I’ve started a new thread in case there has been a new treatment since.
    Long story cut short – I whacked my elbow on a corner of a cupboard about 3 months ago. Hurt like hell then, and still hurts now so booked and have been seeing a physio once a week for the last 4 weeks. Half hour sessions, 10mins of massaging the forearm, 10mins of acupuncture, 5mins of electric “pulsing” – but doesn’t appear to be getting any better.
    So, for those that have had it.. How long did it last for you? What, if anything did you do to help the pain? Did you continue to ride? Does it ever really go away?? It’s such a horrible, nagging, constant pain it’s starting to get me down – and at this time of year I struggle to keep positive so I could really do without it!

desperatebicycle

My question about something similar just ended up with silly boys giggling about girlie golfers 🙁 Look forward to the don’t watch [insert current tennis player’s name] on youtube then! ARF!
    Seriously though, since I made that thread my right elbow has cleared up – I now have it pretty bad in my left! Awful to have something that hurts that much when riding.

martinhutch

Always post this because tennis elbow is pretty common among climbers, and his eccentric exercises worked for me.

Dodgy Elbows

scotroutes

I had it for ages.

Tried various treatments, physio, straps etc

Got the steroid injection.

It disappeared, never to return.

If it happened again I’d just ask for the injection straight away.

Keva
    Free Member

I had it a proabably five or six years ago. It mysteriously started for no reason at all, got really really bad so that I couldn’t even hold a full kettle of water. Eased off of one arm then started in the other, had it bad in both for while, this carried on for about none months with varying degrees of pain. Then it mysteriously disappeared as mysteriously as it arrived.
    I did carry on riding my bike although winging around Cwmcarn probably didn’t help it much, certain yoga moves were out and I had to ease up on circuit training/press ups etc.
    Trying some of the wrist exercises helped a bit I guess although I know I wasn’t doing them at the time it disappeared.
    The whole thing was just weird, never had even so much as a twinge of it since.
    PITA it is, hope you get it fixed.

rone

I’ve had this recently, probably from this heavy video camera I use hand held.

All I can say is booze/sugar makes it worse and it’s more painful first thing.

Not sure of a solution.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had it in the past.

The suggested exercises did help, but I think I’ve kept it away just by starting to go to the gym regularly in my mid-40s.

desperatebicycle

martinhutch’s link is good. I did the exercises back when my right elbow was bad and it’s ok now.. so … very slow progress on the left, but they do seem to work (eventually)

nickfrog
    Free Member

I had tennis from playing tennis, I know, weird.
    What worked for me was turning imaginary door knobs all the way in both directions every day.

Spin
    Free Member

As above, check out the rehab exercises for climbers.

ready

Thanks for the replies, I will give the exercises and imaginary door knobs a go. I was warned off the injection as it just masks the problem rather than fixes it?
    I have 2 more physio sessions left, but not sure I will continue with them after Xmas as they don’t seem to be doing an awful lot for the money!

HobNob
    Free Member

I have it, and have had it for about 3 months now. I have no idea what brought it on, usual active home worker, ride a decent amount, gym a decent amount & do a fair bit of trail building, so bought I would have been hardened against it.

Apparently not! I am on the mend now, but it’s still not right, but it is better from where I was. At one point, I couldn’t even lift the jar that has the teabags in it off the shelf if I grabbed it a certain way.

Rehabbing a lot with a lacrosse ball on the pain points, and following a load of band & (very) light dumbbell range of motion exercises, with stretching for it. Everything i have read suggests depending on severity, but its a fairly long recovery unfortunately. I have still been able to ride, although its not been great & have finally just got back into the gym, although not doing any real grip based activity for a while yet I don’t think.

Have my sympathy, it’s a rubbish injury 🤦‍♂️

scotroutes

I was warned off the injection as it just masks the problem rather than fixes it?

I have 2 more physio sessions left, but not sure I will continue with them after Xmas as they don’t seem to be doing an awful lot for the money!

Was it a physio that warned you off the injection? 😉

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I found some exercises online which involved holding a small dumbell and hanging the wrist over the edge of a table. The idea was to use the other hand to lift the weight and then lower the weight slowly under control. Do this both forehand and backhand. Worked for me.you will probably find the full instructions online better than my explanation.

FB-ATB

brother in law had it in both elbows- as per Scotsroutes, steroid injections were the longterm solution.

montgomery
    Free Member

Steroid jabs didn’t work for me (but have produced near miraculous results with other shoulder/wrist issues). Breaking the affected arm badly enough to warrant a couple of months in plaster gave it an enforced rest that stopped it – and I ensured it never came back by addressing what I suspected was the root cause (poor pc mouse technique and posture).

desperatebicycle

Good tip! I shall be wedging my arm under nextdoor’s SUV as we speak 😀

Albanach
    Free Member

Dr. Keith Baar – Golfers and Tennis Elbow Rehab

Check that post out – helped me a lot.

Caher

I got mine through going to swimming, still there and a little dubious about exercises being a cure as I lift weights too. Might try the steroid route next.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.