Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tell me what to read
  • andrew
    Free Member

Work’s eased up and I’ve had a bit of time to read. I’m just about to finish Sergei Lukyanenko’s Day Watch and will probably pick up the second in the series quite soon. And Ken Macleod’s Dark Light. But in the meantime…

…what shall I read? I quite fancy a recent mtb world tour style thing (as in a Josie Dew stylee rather than, “And then I Bono, saviour of the planet, lover of Howies, mounted my trusty Cannondale steed, and pulled some rad moves on the Rio stage,” type mtb world tour) but am open to other suggestions.
    Cheers.

fastindian
    Free Member

nothing to do with biking but try ‘the power of one’ by Bryce Courtenay. excellent read, could’nt put it down.Also the follow up ‘Tandia’.

DavidB
    Free Member

The Book Thief – Marcus Zusak ..again nothing to do with bikes but an essential read.

andrew
    Free Member

Both sound grand and will definitely be on the ‘to read’ list. Cheers 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

Miles from Nowhere, Barbara Savage

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I read a book about a couple of blokes biking across oz and africa. Vgood. Can’t remember what it’s called though. 😕

andrew
    Free Member

That’s more like it for my short term reading needs, ta MrNutt 🙂

neilsonwheels: I think it’s Discovery Road? (from Googling, ‘australia africa bicycle book lol)

Anne Mustoe’s Cleopatra’s Needle: Two Wheels by the Water to Cairo looks quite good too.

I wonder why it is that it’s mostly women authors/riders?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Discovery road. That’s the fella.

JulianA
    Free Member

Second Ann Mustoe – thanks for the info that she has a new book out, as I thoroughly enjoyed ‘A Bike Ride’: the story of her ride around the world. Second one not quite so good, but still worth reading.

I’ve just read ‘Queen of the Desert: The extraordinary life of Gertrude Bell’ and really enjoyed it. Nothing whatsoever to do with riding (unless you count camels and horses) but an insight into the problems in Iraq and other parts of the Middle East.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Again nothing to do with riding but “An instance at the fingerpost” by Iain Pears great crime novel!

alpin
    Free Member

“guns, germs and steel”

v.interesting.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Whoo I’ve just ordered “guns, germs and steel” from the library! I don’t bother buying books anymore as I read about 1 a week and then have a stash never to be read again! Libraries are teh way forward and if you have to order it in from another library it costs all of 85p!!!! Oh and if it’s a cr** read you don’t feel obliged to finish it for the sake of it!

andrew
    Free Member

“guns, germs and steel”

sounds quite interesting. I agree about libraries to an extent – I love going with the children – but my hoarding instinct is too strong. It’s even been justified recently with my missus picking up and thoroughly enjoying an old copy of Fahrenheit 451 I forgot I had.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tell me what to read’ is closed to new replies.