Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tell me about/show me your Stanton sherpa's
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I have a new job, and as a present to myself because of this, I am going to replace my Orange clockwork 29er frame with something that I can get a bigger tyre into…

It needs to be XL size, so as cotic no longer do the 21″ Solaris, the Sherpa seems right up my street, Ill be moving all parts across from my clockwork as I built that up from frame only to my liking.

Tell me about the stanton, suggest other frames, show off yours!

…please 😉

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just built up a Stanton Sherpa I went from 26″ bandit to the Sherpa and have no regrets, it’s a blast. Very fast and not at all unnerving I find it very comfortable and agile in the twisty bits. You won’t regret getting it, and I don’t miss full suss.[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rPeuxjC.jpg[/IMG]

nickwatson
    Free Member

First steel framed bike, although have had a 29er before. Pretty fast, very comfy and great fun. Head angle seems spot on with 100mm forks. Looks ace in green too!

davewalsh
    Free Member

At the risk of upsetting the fanboys on here, I ride a Cotic Soul and after hiring a 29er in the States last Christmas, decided to test ride a Sherpa with a view to replacing my Soul with one so took one out for 25 miles around the Long Mynd. My thoughts on the bike was that it was very efficient at covering ground quickly, however I found the whole feeling from the bike that it was lifeless, there was no fun factor in it for me, it just felt that all the fun had been removed at the expense of efficiency. On the other hand, my riding buddy was on my Soul at the same time and he spent all afternoon grinning like a demented idiot at the amount of fun it was riding the soul.
    I didn’t buy one.
    Here’s a pic:

Cowman

Its really fast. Really very comfortable riding position. Got it as its best suited to the type of riding I do.

I have found the standover quite high (less than an inch), but the ETT is bang on. So ride quality is worth the payoff for a bit of a lack of confidence while riding it.

I have an XL and I’m 6’2. Emailed Sherpa and they said that on a 50mm stem and 760 bars would be the best.

Yet to do a big day out so will see. Ill keep you posted.

You really can throw it into corners and the it really does make you feel confident, not like you are perched on it.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Would definitely not describe the ride of the Sherpa as lifeless, I find it very engaging with lots of feedback. I find it easy to pop the front, and very lively in the turns with great grip from my Toro’s.
    Would be interesting to see what other owners think.

mboy
    Free Member

Here’s my GF’s (apologies for the purple!)

My thoughts on the bike was that it was very efficient at covering ground quickly, however I found the whole feeling from the bike that it was lifeless, there was no fun factor in it for me, it just felt that all the fun had been removed at the expense of efficiency.

Just goes to show how subjective everything is, I’ve ridden my GF’s a couple of times now, and I’ve got to say it’s the most fun bike I’ve ridden in ages! It feels like a 4X bike but with the grip and speed afforded by the bigger wheels. I’ve ridden Soul’s a number of times, and they’re damned good fun, but to me the Sherpa is just as much fun if not more so, and ridiculously fast to boot!

Put it this way, I’m really not keen on the idea of having his & hers matching bikes, but dear god it’s good!

Hers is built up pretty light and slightly more XC than some, with a 110mm Revelation, Crests, 1×10, 70mm stem and flat bars (may change to 60mm and a low rise bar v soon), and it feels very responsive. I’ve seen Sherpa’s built with 120-130mm forks and very burly wheels, which I’m sure would dull the experience somewhat, but it’s still such an inherently awesome frame I’m surprised that anyone would find it a dull experience to ride one! Each to their own though I suppose…

fudge9202
    Free Member

mboy agree totally it is very fast and carries speed exceptionally well, but that might be down to the toro’s. I run mine with 120mm Reba forks and a Thomson dropper. Despite the 120 Rebas it climbs really well and is a blast on the downs, no regrets about not on a full suss. I built up what I think are light but tough wheels hope pro II evo hubs on WTB st i23 rims, the rest is thomson carbon bars and thomson stem. All in at 27.1lbs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about/show me your Stanton sherpa's’ is closed to new replies.