Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Tell me about Rivington Pike?
  • simmy
    Free Member

Anyway i think the signs may have gone up last year when the gate / fence was rebuilt though not sure if its Bolton Council or Chorley council over that side…

Its Bolton on that side – theres no signs at the other end of them trails though

hora
    Free Member

Its ok. I wouldnt drive an hour though unless it was a social ride.

yoshimi

After I saw the last photos from the previous Rivvy Nothern Chapter Ride thingy, may i suggest you leave your bikes at home. Meet at the bottom barn with tartan travel rug, picnic baskets and each with an assortment of home made cakes and fancies FFS!!

Let the mincing and faffing begin.

To this day I never quite managed to remove Johnnie’s ‘vegan sludge cake’ from my mind 😥

xherbivorex
    Free Member

We were up there the Sunday before last and met 2 blokes who were also discussing the signs – wonder if that was you Xherbivorex?

no mate, i was up there with my girlfriend midweek.

anyone know how this is enforceable, cos the positioning of the sign seems to suggest (along with the “CCTV in use” warning) that they’re trying to stop people riding up the road to the mast (and thus to the belmont descent)?

wors

you’re not supposed to drive up there either, but there’s always cars going up with people paragliding, shagging, etc

yoshimi

you’re not supposed to drive up there either, but there’s always cars going up with people paragliding, shagging, etc

True, lets face it, how could they stop you riding our bike there anyway!

WiretownMan
    Free Member

The tarmac road up the the mast is marked-up on OS maps as a public footpath. You shouldn’t ride bikes on public footpaths its illegal and gives MTB a bad name.

traildog
    Free Member

The sign on the cattle grid has been there for years. Occasionally they have a bit of a blitz on people riding on the moors. So yes, it’s worth being aware that you are actually riding cheeky trails and follow the rules.

To paragliding, slope soar etc you have to be in a club and you pay a small amount as permission to be there. You used to get a key for the gates and the gates were locked – that was a long time ago mind.

Junkyard
    Free Member

After I saw the last photos from the previous Rivvy Nothern Chapter Ride thingy, may i suggest you leave your bikes at home. Meet at the bottom barn with tartan travel rug, picnic baskets and each with an assortment of home made cakes and fancies FFS!!

Let the mincing and faffing begin.

IF anyone turns up with their race licence i will give you a call 😉

To this day I never quite managed to remove Johnnie’s ‘vegan sludge cake’ from my mind

I have forgotten it which one?? – that weird chocolate fudge thing – that was starnge to say the least
    PS no cake for you next time

Re the road it is not a road and a footpath only

There used to be a guard up theoir who would challenge you when they were digitalising the mast but I guess he got sick of being ignored as hge stopped. I just used to ride past him.
    Its daft that the road cannot be [legally]ridden and neither can san marino /belmont – which is clearly an old cart route rather than a footpath

Never been challenged anywhere by anyone official up Rivvy

Ok some time in Dec penciolled in – will need to be a Sunday for me.
    I dont care who organises but i wills tart a seperate thread once a date has been agreed – anyone got any preferences?

binners

Are you aware that Hora has actually done this?

JY – how does a provisional 9th December soiree sound? Any takers?

hora
    Free Member

Are you aware that Hora has actually done this?

Are you going to ride off that slab on ice cream run one day binners? 😆

xherbivorex
    Free Member

provisionally any weekend in december is good for me.

binners

No. I is scared! 😛

You know the first time I did that, I was so surprised that I was still upright, I got a bit befuddled by the whole experience, and promptly fell off.

I’ve also fallen off over there, when Chod hit a huge patch of ice with his front wheel as he was lining it up. The bike went from under him, and he went off the edge, on his arse, backwards, with his bike on top of him. I literally couldn’t ride for laughing 😆

grum
    Free Member

I could potentially do that if my AIDS clears up by then.

As long as there’s plenty of mincing and faffing anyway.

hora
    Free Member

I could potentially do that if my AIDS clears up by then.

binners

Good AIDS? Or bad AIDS?

grum
    Free Member

Definitely bad AIDS.

I have CFS/ME – seems to come and go a bit – having a bit of a shit period at the moment and I’ve not been on a bike for a few weeks. My hilarious mates refer to it as my AIDS. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

JY – how does a provisional 9th December soiree sound? Any takers?

That is a good one for me so lets tentatively pencil it in
    FWIW it is sometimes quicker to mince the slab to the left as you have a better line for the next corner and carry more speed. – so pretend you are takling the racing line is my advice 😉

simmy
    Free Member

Can I tag along ?

Im slow and the ICR scares me but I would like to meet you all 🙂

Vortexracing

If I can get a pass out, i’ll join in.

I’ll bring your goggles grum, sorry to hear your not too well buddy.

I’m sure riding walking round rivvy with middle aged blokes will raise your spirits 😆

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

9th Dec is OK for me at the moment – put me down as “tentative”

grum
    Free Member

Cheers Dave, that would be good – I’d forgotten all about the goggles.

Put me down as tentative too. I may even see if the missus fancies it, if I can trust her around such a devastatingly handsome bunch. 🙂

Greybeard
    Free Member

san marino /belmont – which is clearly an old cart route rather than a footpath

Would there be any reason for it to be a ‘private’ cart track, or would it (based on where it goes to) be likely to have been public at some time? If there’s enough evidence it could be proposed as a bridleway or a Restricted Byway, based on historic use. The West Pennine Moors people might take on the case rather than any individuals having to make the application?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

In reference to roads/bridleways/footpaths et al, I live half a mile from Rivvy and have been MTB’ing around/all over there on every type of path for over 22 years and have only been challenged once. He was a “jobs worth” country ranger, told him a joke and all was OK. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

The majority land owner around Rivington is United Utilities and they are very accomodating for all users of their land. What they’re not happy about is 4×4’s and MXers **** the place up. Everyone else is welcome.

Oh, and hora. I’ve had special notice to clip him on sight.

CRW_3924-10 by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

He can ride the slab.

Junkyard
    Free Member

9 th pencilled in I will start a thread next week sometime.

bigdaddy

Hi all,

At the moment I have to do work visits in Accrington every 2 months and am taking my bike. I rode Gisburn last time which was very good fun, and Rivington had been suggested to me as another good place to explore. I’m up 3rd/4th Dec this time, and able to ride on morning of Tues 4th – anyone about and able to show me round for 2/3 hours?

(Doesn’t have to be there – anywhere nearby will do – want to see the best riding around – I’ve not been there before!

nbt

phew. though it might clash with MaccFest. Might be ablr to play out on 9th. Grum, if your CFS is too much to ride, but you want to get out and you want to be scared you can stoke the tandem? Assuming I can make it, not certain sadly

grum
    Free Member

At the risk of willy waving here, that slab is nowt to be scared of is it? Unless its icy or whatever.

Thanks Julian – that does sound pretty terrifying but also quite appealing!

bigdaddy – if you can’t find anyone to ride with Lee/Cragg Quarry might be a good option.

xiphon
    Free Member

Sounds entertaining. I’m about 30mins drive away…

nbt

Slab is fine, launching off the end requires bottle and committment, picking your way off is a bit easier but the rocks are quite loose.

bigdaddy

Thanks Grum, if no takers for a ride with me I’ll look at Lee Quarry…

Be good to have a local show me about if possible though – any want to skive off work?

badllama
    Free Member

Been up there pretty recently did San M but lot’s of big ruts to avoid but there is a nice run from the top of Belmont Res to Bolton Road thats a hell of a run fast and smooth once you get to the top of the hill 🙂
    No video as yet though 😉
    San Marino the other week
    null

nbt
    Junkyard
    Free Member

If you dont mind drops with biggish rocks to land on it is fine – trick is to make sure you are going fast enough to not stall on the rocks you hit – – not sure that is actually a skill mind

grum
    Free Member

I think I launched off the end when I’ve been down there, but then I do have a big silly bike.

badllama
    Free Member

geordiemick00 where is that path at 2.27 on the video? Any pointer on a map? 🙂

wors

around here

and you took the pussy line down the side of the steps off the pike?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

It’s the little path that runs into the looooong straight set of steps. It’s this one here

<Edit> Too slow, but marginally more accurate 🙂 </Edit>

crispo
    Free Member

I’d have definately been keen to come along to this after missing the last STW Preston Chapter ride, unfortunately we have friends visiting from London that weekend do its a bit bad form to clear off for the day.

There’s a few of us from Longridge/Grimsargh on here, how do we fancy sorting a ride sometime? The fell is rather boggy at the moment though….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Rivington Pike?’ is closed to new replies.