Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Tell me about Rivington Pike?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Never been and its closish. Is it worth the hours drive and if so why?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

It depends on what you drive past to get there.I like the place,it’s mainly xc & if you head out over the moors you can get a lot of miles in.There’s also the ICR & healy nab if you’re a bit “rad”.I would’nt bother on a sunday as it gets busy with lots of familys out walking.Gets quieter though the further away from Rivington you go.

jonyb
    Free Member

it was the commonwealth games mountain bike course.
    avoid on a weekend.
    bottom barn has route guides for sale at small price.
    healy nab about a mile away. very slippy in this weather but well drained mostly.
    well worth a visit .
    plenty to explore, good parking and good eating facilities.
    flat family friendly bridleways down by the reservoir.
    technical sections up towards the pidgeon tower.
    fantastic views .

simmy
    Free Member

Ive been up Today and went upto Healey Nab.

The Nab is very wet, but then again Im not into “rad” stuff but all the Bridleways and the Pike are fine.

Had some good fun. Went down ICR last week for the first time in ages and it seems pretty churned up these days.

Prob all the 4×4’s – never forget once going down the ICR at a reasonable rate and meeting up with the front end of a Discovery 😯

voodoo_chile

Loddrik, on your doorstep mate, nice riding, easy to gain height, nice singletrack and wide fireroads with tyre eating grit

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well worth it and some cracking downhills and as good as anything near you

Its not the lakes or the Peaks but it is good

It is my local and not that bad at the weekend either – tend to go early or late mind

You have my e-mail if you want a guide I wont say 19 once or mention lady refs 😉

simmy
    Free Member

I climbing 1500 ft today according to the Garmin so, like its been said, its very easy to gain height and have fun on the downhills.

Even me, as a slowcoach, can get some air on them V shaped bits coming down from the Pike 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, anyone have a gpx?

hallz
    Free Member

Not 100% sure that a gpx would help you that much in Rivington. If you like, tell me what sort of riding you like and ill do you a route. I can put in gpx if it helps.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve driven 45 mins away from the Lakes to ride there and been happy to have done so. The San Marino descent is great fun, as are a few others I did that I can’t remember the names of.

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

For me, it’s the closest place to home that feels like proper mountain biking.

The following are all good fun:

The Belmont Descent
    Slabs down from the pike
    The steps down from the pike
    The broken road
    The Japanese gardens (loads of different lines to play on in here)
    The descent down to the dog kennels

It’s no match for a good route in The Lakes, The Peaks, etc, but for a midweek ride or for days when you don’t fancy the hassle of spending hours in the car it’s well worth a trip. Good post ride coffee and cake in the cafe by the bottom barn too.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

Plenty of good riding in that area, as technical as you want it, and plenty of variation in routes you can do.

We ride there a fair bit: http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk check us out if you want.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The Belmont Descent[san marino]- footpath
    Slabs down from the pike not on map
    The steps down from the pike- well footpath/steps
    The broken road- not sure where you mean Ice cream Run ? Thats a BOAT
    The Japanese gardens (loads of different lines to play on in here)- all footpaths or off piste
    The descent down to the dog kennels[two lads]- a footpath

so ride with them if you ride footpaths or just cut to the chase and join the boggies and go on good friday 😉

grum
    Free Member

Belmont clearly isn’t a footpath though, whatever its classified as.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Did the eliminator (ice cream run) three times today :D, had to leave around 10.30 as it was getting so busy with the red sock and dog shit bag swingers brigade.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you get a real mish mash of what is and is not a footpath up there and many concessionary bridleways not mapped on the ground

How they have done it an the reasons make no actual sense and you need to apply some common sense on what you ride and when [ time and weather]

Gary_C

or just cut to the chase and join the boggies and go on good friday

Ok, so when did the boggies ride Rivi on good friday like you are insinuating ?

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes and they left your sense of humour there when they did 🙄

binners

Loddrick

Here’s some film of a few of the forum regulars on a Rivi run in the summer

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEqItT8-7s&feature=plcp[/video]

I love Rivi, personally. The San Marino is a blinding descent. We’re riding it Wednesday night if you fancy it?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Join the Boggies and take 6 hours to do a two hour ride…….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEBS9imAvmw[/video]

wors

I love Rivi, personally. The San Marino is a blinding descent. We’re riding it Wednesday night if you fancy it?

We did the kennels and san marino on Thursday night, thick pea soup fog, light bouncing back at you, couldn’t see a thing, slippy as hell. It was ace.

A nearly bald back tyre probably wasn’t the best tyre to use either 😆

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    The Belmont Descent[san marino]- footpath
    Slabs down from the pike not on map
    The steps down from the pike- well footpath/steps
    The broken road- not sure where you mean Ice cream Run ? Thats a BOAT
    The Japanese gardens (loads of different lines to play on in here)- all footpaths or off piste
    The descent down to the dog kennels[two lads]- a footpath

so ride with them if you ride footpaths or just cut to the chase and join the boggies and go on good friday

My sincere apologies,

A letter is in the post FAO The Fun Prevention Officer c/o The Bogtrotter’s HQ detailing all rides I have planned for the next 6 months. If you could just mark in red pen any sections you think may result in enjoyment and return the letter in the self addressed envelope supplied it would be much appreciated.

In the meantime I’ve locked myself in the cupboard under the stairs with nothing but Radiohead’s back catalogue for company. Hopefully by the time the postie turns up I’ll be in the right frame of mind to take on board your advice.

L I G H T E N T H E F * * K U P ![i]

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Eh?
    I think I’ve lost the plot here…
    …First, Junkyard points out that it’s all footpaths, (which Boggies love to ride)

…Then, Gary_C bites on the “Boggies on Good Friday” bit,

…and then, woolybackpaul interprets Junkyard’s comments as being a Boggies’ disaproval of footpath riding?

Confused.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes it would indeed appear to me who needs to lighten up 😕

It was either a funny [you did read my later serious response on this issue ?]and a gentle dig about riding footpaths or it was not but it was not worthy of one rant never mind two

Indeed lighten the caps locked swear filter up

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

and there I was, labouring under the misconception that all we needed was written permision from Lord Lowie (albeit signed in triplicate of course) to ride on his land 😉

binners

You didn’t ask Lowie?! You didn’t fill out the forms? Does he know?

Bloody hell! There’s going to be trouble now!

lipseal
    Free Member

I had wee behind the pigeon tower once.

wors

I had wee behind the pigeon tower once.

The ghost of George Henderson will haunt you forever! 😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Anyway, to get back on topic, yes there’s loads of good stuff on Rivi.
    The stuff that woolybackpaul mentioned and lots more besides:
    Wilderswood, Burnt Edge, Smithills Moor, all good trails that rides well in most conditions.
    Sorry I’ve no GPX.

Must be getting time for another forum ride up there soon?

portlyone

It seems to handle the wet weather quite well – always a fun ride.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Geordiemick – very neat riding there especially given you had a set of maraccas in one hand!

Or was it a football rattle to replace a bell?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Must be getting time for another forum ride up there soon?

Tempting I will do one in December and it will include riding footpaths

Forms for permission are going in as we speak hell I may even invite him.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

December forum ride? Sounds good..

binners

That sounds like a plan! Lowey could show us around his estate

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ron Hill (the stretchy trews people) made some bright green fell running shoes called R P in the 90’s great for the first hour til they fell apart.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

reckon i’d be up for a december rivi jaunt. might try to persuade ali to come too; seeing as she lives in horwich, it’d be rude not to- plus, she bakes pretty awesome cakes!

anyway, last week we were riding around up there and where the gate is part way up the “road” up to the mast on winter hill, i noticed signs saying no cycling (for the first time)- have they always been there or anyone know if this is something new?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

After I saw the last photos from the previous Rivvy Nothern Chapter Ride thingy, may i suggest you leave your bikes at home. Meet at the bottom barn with tartan travel rug, picnic baskets and each with an assortment of home made cakes and fancies FFS!!

Let the mincing and faffing begin. 😳

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d also be up for a ride, I could properly get stuck in to all these Man U fans then 😉

Unfortunately I’m only able to ride anywhere mtb worthy on Mondays at the minute, which is probably no good.

simmy
    Free Member

anyway, last week we were riding around up there and where the gate is part way up the “road” up to the mast on winter hill, i noticed signs saying no cycling (for the first time)- have they always been there or anyone know if this is something new?

On the Left or Right as you go uphill ?

I think the path to the Left is a Footpath ( leading to the cairn ) but im sure the one to the right which leads towards Scout Road is a Bridleway.

Bolton Council had a blitz a while back with the No Cycling signs – saw them near Dog Kennels.

hallz
    Free Member

They are on the gate on the right hand side of the road at the second cattle grid. If you go through the gate then the track leads down to the top of Coal Pit Lane although you can also go down to Walker Fold Woods.

We were up there the Sunday before last and met 2 blokes who were also discussing the signs – wonder if that was you Xherbivorex?

Anyway i think the signs may have gone up last year when the gate / fence was rebuilt though not sure if its Bolton Council or Chorley council over that side…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Rivington Pike?’ is closed to new replies.