• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tell me about Mountain boarding….
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Kid 2 is quite into his skiing and boarding, but it looks like we won’t be going this year at all, apart from perhaps Nevis at Easter.

Was thinking that perhaps a mountain board might be a good laugh in the local park during lockdown and beyond. Was thinking of getting him a mountain board for Christmas.

I imagine slope angle is critical, and it probably won’t get as much use as I would hope, but perhaps a bit more than the endless Lego etc that he normally gets for Christmas.

I’ve seen a few for sub £200 but is it like biking and other gearfreak orientated sports that the cheap stuff is rubbish and you need to spend big to get anything reasonable?

Anyone partake?

Anyone tried it and wasted cash to buy one and it’s sat in the garage ever since?

Do you need to size them to the person?

jamiemcf

I did it for quite a few years as did someone else in the forum. Great fun through my 20s. Would I do it now that I’m screaming towards 40? I don’t think my knees would appreciate it.

First up pads and helmet, oh and pads as well.
    A fair bit of technique to them and a bit of muscling around required. And pads.
    It’s been a while since I looked at them but generally all around a similar sizes.
    Did I mention pads?
    I don’t know what the UK landscape is like now and what centres remain open. Have a look at the websites of atbauk and atbshop.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Reserve a space at A&E. There is a mountain board course on one of the hills near Perth. As a competent skier, snowboarder and mountainbiker, the whole idea of mountain boarding seems fraught with danger and pain for very little benefit.

Speed flying, I get. Mountain Boarding, ah’m oot!

kevs
    Free Member

I have an on/off love affair with mountain boarding.
    I can’t ride a skateboard at all, like not even on flat tarmac but I can mountain board ok, had a go on a proper track and it’s great fun.

Wrist pads are a must along with all the normal, knee elbow etc.
    Electric boards seem to be taking off massively but so do the prices.
    From what I’ve seen there’s long and short lengths for differing heights/ weights/ styles but not massively critical

chrisdw
    Free Member

Fun with a power kite and a big beach.
    Tried it downhill once. Didn’t try it again.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

+1

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Yep – this is pretty much the only time they are any good.

Did a load of “DH” mountainboarding in my youth. Not only is slope angle critical, but so is terrain. Tiny wheels and no clearance dont deal with any kind of long grass/rocks/roots/whatever. Unless you have somewhere groomed to use them then they suck.

mtnboarder

Jamie McF is selling himself short for someone who was a sponsored rider and podiumed at national level back in the day…

I’d ask how old kid 2 is first- mainly based on the fact that boards can be heavy, especially for pre-teen kids and that’s a big factor for how much fun it will be..

Local parks are perfect for starting out, but gradient is fairly important. One thing to note is that they do need more gradient than a bike- we tried Spooky Wood at GT many many years ago and ended up walking a chunk of it as it wasn’t steep enough.

As for equipment, I’m a bit out of the loop but I don’t think there’s the same amount of cheap chinese tat that there once was. MBS are ok quality, Trampa are much better (and british)

OP, where are you located? If you’re any where near Tweed Valley I could let you have a look at some kit I have..

mtnboarder
    thegeneralist
    Free Member

Oof bloody hell. That track looks well dangerous. I feel really old. Great info there people.

Pads we have. Got good knee and elbow. Also got wrist protectors too after he broke himself in his first day boarding 🤣

Looking at those vids, it looks a lot less benign than snow. Bit higher up and very hard landing.

Wonder if there are any tracks near Manchester ( nous chez)

trumpton
    Free Member

Looks pretty dangerous as someone with no knowledge of it.can image it’s pretty limited as to where you ride it.might be wrong though.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Jamie McF is selling himself short for someone who was a sponsored rider and podiumed at national level back in the day…

Love that. Had to look back to see who might have posted.

Kudos to understated Jamie.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I took up mountain boarding while living in France. I was instructing at a speed sailing centre and a few of the other instructors got me into the dangerous world of mountain boarding. I absolutely loved it but I am pretty competent on any type of board. Don’t do it nowadays as my wrist’s are buggered.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I was instructing at a speed sailing centre

Now that can be a batshit crazy sport at times. I took part in the worlds in the Sahara a couple of times and thought it was mental but then Norbert Blanc who made the things was using one as a monoski on the beach behind a jeep doing 40 mph. Each time after crossing behind the jeep he was having to having to haul in loads of line as he was overtaking the vehicle. Terrifying to watch.

DezB
    Free Member

Isn’t the biggest problem the tedium of having to walk back to the top carrying your board after every run?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Mountain boarding….’ is closed to new replies.