Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tell me about holidays in Pembrokeshire
  • allfankledup

At some point this summer, we are heading to Pembrokeshire to take over a cottage for a week or so – bit of a trek from Scotland, but folk seem to like West Wales. Not having been there for 20yrs (and never been with wife or kids) – what are the places and things to go see and do ? Where to avoid? Where to eat ? Where to walk the dog? Last time i went to Pembrokeshire we camped at Newgale, ate in the cafe, drank in the pub, kayaked on the beach – was brilliant.

We’ve been to North Wales for the last 3 years, around Abersoch/Snowdonia and really enjoyed it – but needed a change.

Shocking I know, but probably not taking any bikes with us…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I remember going as a child, i remember it being endless summer days of costal walking and pristine beaches, small inflatable dinghys in the sea, huge numbers of bats in St David’s at an old church thing, a sea life centre and being locked in the castle dungeon on a tour.

I remember it was awesome and i keep thinking i should go back.

I hope that helps

P-Jay
    Free Member

We go there quite often – there aren’t any really bad bits, lots of it are national park.

Tenby is the closest to being a ‘traditional sea side resort’ but it’s pretty far from being the Blackpool of Wales.

Folly Farm is about the most tolerable ‘theme park’ in the world, it’s never crowded, lots of big open green space and a nice mix of traditional farm animals and exotic ones (Lions, Rinos etc) with some old rides from yesteryear.

The only place I don’t like so much is Narbeth, it’s nice enough but it’s quickly becoming the Rich Londoners Holiday Home place of choice in Wales so it’s lost its soul.

midlifecrashes

The coastal path walk from St Brides round Martins Haven, Marloes Sands, St Annes Head, Dale and back to Marloes village is the single best day’s walking I’ve had anywhere, fantastic place, and hardly anyone about except for a couple of the bigger beaches.

Solva is lovely for a mooch around the harbour and shops.

Angle Bay can be a bit of a trek, but when the conditions are right can have some amazing surf.

St Davids is where coasteering was started in the UK, great fun climbing cliffs in wetsuits and hurling yourself off again, swimming round the headlands and seeing the seals.

It’s rubbish, move along, nothing to see here. I’m told Cornwall is nice this time of year

cloudnine
    Free Member

Not so good mountain biking.
    Plenty of road riding, quiet lanes, beaches, cheeky coast path.

Lots of castles if thats your thing.. Pembroke, Carew, Manorbier.
    Bosherston area well worth a few visits, lovely beaches (barafundle and broadhaven etc), St Govans Chapel, Stackpole Inn good for food.

Good surfing (have lessons at freshwater west and a seaweed burger)

geoffj

We used to go St David’s (from Scotland too) at least once a year.

There are lots of good things – relatively quiet, nice beaches, decent(ish) weather, coast path etc.,
    We stopped going largely because costs of accommodation were increasing, I got sick of the 10 hr drive, better flight connections to somewhere cheaper / nicer / better weather. BUT the main issue was the piss poor customer service in many of St David’s cafes and restaurants.

The Farmer’s Arms is still nice – especially on the terrace on a summer’s evening, but it needs to raise its game in some of the other establishments.

allfankledup

Seaweed burgers ? er.

We’ve visited most of the North Wales castles, and despite living North of the border are members of Cadw (cheaper than the English Heritage/Historic Scotland but the membership lets you visit their sites). Looking forward to seeing some alternatives there.

We’ve got some great beaches here on our doorstep, but am sure the dog will enjoy a change of scene, assuming i remember to take some tennis balls…that’ s all she cares about.

I remember the coasteering thing – Tyr Felin kicked it off, used to paddle kayaks in the era of Shaun Baker / Andy Middleton and co when they first started promoting the Bitches. Will see how strong a swimmer the kids need to be, then send the wife…

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

its worth including a visit to skoma island- a puffin sanctuary that can only reached by boat just off the Pembrokeshire coast

salad_dodger

St Davids has turned into a shitehole recently and is now London on Sea with wannabe hipsters running the cafe’s. Newgale hasn’t changed since the last time you visited but is about to with a bypass planned to run behind the campsite to prevent the road from flooding during winter storms. Not sure how that’s going to look!

Just along from Newgale is a great place to visit with children is Hinton Court. It’s basically someones huge garden that has ponds and lots of wooden houses dotted about the place that kids can spend hours exploring. Great for hide and seek and they also sell really nice food.

allfankledup

We’re blessed with a two or three week period of holidays, when the scottish schools are out, but the english ones are still in. It let’s us take pasty or ginger kids south of the border to get some sunshine without being mocked as much by locals.

Hopefully this period of grace will stop us having to deal with the London types too often – getting an interpreter to translate from Ayrshire to English gets expensive

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s rubbish, move along, nothing to see here. I’m told Cornwall is nice this time of year

+1 🙂

BillOddie

If you fancy some fun on the sea, I can heartily recommend Mayberry Kayaking.

Had an ace day with him.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Got family in Pembs. Check out Bessie’s pub in the Gwaun Valley. It’s like stepping back in time. Lovely pint of Bass too.

redstripe
    Free Member
    Eyepic
    Free Member

How old are the kiddies?
    Are you looking North or south of the cleddau?

timber

Ice cream shop in St.Davids.
    Blue Lagoon if you want to go big on your coasteering, next harbour north has fancy chip shop, not far over the cliffs.
    There is more, we tend to just walk sections of coast path and use the buses to get back.

Stackpole area has seemed pretty good from the times I’ve gone there for work.

But like mlc says, nothing to shout about 😉

I’ll just leave this here…

[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/89/da/92/89da92464102201b650ace3d2d4b8812.jpg[/img]

nostoc
    Free Member

Is Bessie still going?

lister

I live here. It’s full. But still lovely.
    That beach ^ is on the Gower.

tonyg2003

We really like it down there. Great beaches and pretty quiet. We like South Pembrokeshire (Freshwater). Must try to get over there sometime this summer.

Really no point taking a MTB though.

That beach ^ is on the Gower

Which is Pembrokeshire isn’t it?

lister

Nope.The Gower is near Swansea. There’s a whole lot of sea, or Carmarthenshire, between the two.
    I think that’s 3 Cliffs Bay? We’ve got Broadhaven South here which is much better! 😉

I stand corrected – it’s often listed as Pembrokeshire when I’ve Googled it, but on checking, it is indeed miles away.

Soz!

allfankledup

How old are the kiddies?
    Are you looking North or south of the cleddau?

We are stopping in Wolfscastle – so fairly central/inland. Kids are 13, 11 and 8 – fairly robust…we live on the coast up here. I expect all of us to spend a good bit of time rockpooling – that never gets old.

Went to the Gower years ago as a kid (the joys of a family caravan, different part of the UK every year) – whilst i recall most of the trip with good memories, I am taking a windbreak – spent all of the time on the beach hiding from a strong breeze…

Alpha1653

I used to live in Roch, just down the road from Wolfscastle. Sadly I’ve moved away now but my wife and I love the place. Obviously you know Newgate already but it’s still a good place to start. If you’re after activities, go see Olly Tugey in the surf shop behind the water break – a lovely guy and I’ve used him several times for adventure training. Plenty of coastal walks are on your doorstep: Newgate to St Davids is a favourite. However, my absolutely favourite place in the U.K. is down near Castlemartin ranges – Bosherston Lily Ponds are stunning at this time of year and they lead to Broadhaven south beach which is also stunning, a favourite with photographers for starscapes. Great for spotting wildlife…plus I proposed to my wife on a cliff top overlooking the ponds early one morning a few years ago, so it holds special memories.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about holidays in Pembrokeshire’ is closed to new replies.