Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tell me about cataracts please (of the eye variety)
  • lister

I had my annual eye check in January and everything was fine, I don’t need glasses and can see perfectly well.

Over the last few weeks I’ve had a weird blurry patch in my right eye vision…a bit like a finger print on your sunglasses.

I found out today at the opticians that, at the age of 41, that my right eye has a cataract and there is the slight suggestion of one happening in my left!

Does anyone have any experience of having cataracts operated on or have had them at a fairly young age like me?

I’m not too concerned, having read some stuff this afternoon, about the prospect of surgery if it’s necessay but I’d appreciate some real stories…good and bad!

Thanks.

Klunk
    Free Member

the wife had both hers done around your age, would be around 15 years ago  now,  no problems to report.

lister

Brill, it’s fairly routine from what I read.

Still a shock to find out about it when it’s usually an older person thing.

donks
    Free Member

I had a pin in the eye when I was about 14 (don’t ask) and a cataract formed when they removed it which lead to me having a lens replacement, 30 years ago now when they first started that procedure. It’s been ok until last year when I got blurring. This was scar tissue from the op. 5 mins of laser sorted that.

The lens it self is ok but not a patch on my good eye and won’t auto focus like a functioning eye will so it’s limited to a fixed range which means I can’t read close up with it but it’s way better than a blur though. Modern operations and optics may be better these days also?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I used to sell cataract lenses a while back and have seen 100s of operations in my time and I must say they really are worth getting done it will transform your eye sight 100%. Think about if you want a fix lens or a lens that moves like a human lens. What this means is it’s not set to short or long sighted. Op takes 20-30 mins and you go home the same day. The surgeon will discuss if they do one side at a time but with support you could push for bi-lateral.

But speak to your surgeon discuss you lifestyle and expectations and they will implant the best lens for you

More information here https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/accommodating-iols.htm

lister

This place is amazing, there is always someone with relevant experience to hand!

Thanks for the replies.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about cataracts please (of the eye variety)’ is closed to new replies.