Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • tech geeks – hard drive bad blocks
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Hey chaps, my NAS HD, 3 months after purchase, has 20 bad blocks. i’m currently in the process of backing up all the important stuff, i.e. photos and music from it.

Once done, what are my options? Is it sortable, or a return under Sale of Goods/Warranty job? Bad sounds bad, but how bad are we talking?!

Cheers people.

Cougar

Warranties vary between manufacturers, check. Might need a certain number of failures to be “faulty”; this used to be the case with old disks, dunno if that still applies. Could be up to a five year warranty on it, tho.

TBH though, either way I’d look to replacing it. It might last for years without further issue, but I’d wouldn’t trust it for anything important.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Might be worth looking at the PassMark DiskCheckup software depending on what OS you’re using. That way you can get yourself that juicy juicy S.M.A.R.T. info to see if theres anything else the matter with the poor bugger 🙁

theflatboy
    Free Member

ok thanks. i had a hunch i should replace, but what i’m unclear about is why/if i should have to fork out for a new one after three months? is this an error with the drive or would it be considered consumer liability? any ideas? 😕

and RRM, it’s in an ARM-based QNAP NAS.

theflatboy
    Free Member

any more gems of insight, experts? 🙂

ryderredman
    Free Member

do you have a desktop/caddy that you can attach it to?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i do indeed – desktop with a spare bay, i believe.

ryderredman
    Free Member

whack the drive in and get a gathering of whether there’s anything else wrong with it? Then you’ve got yourself a giant pair of nutcrackers when you go knocking on the suppliers door.

If you’re emailing remember you’ll be dealing with sales people who wont exactly know much about drives so you could baffle them with numbers/charts/dead sector counts 😈

ryderredman
    Free Member

speedfan might give you enough info, just remember to run it as administrator 😉 think its shift right click or shift alt right click to get the extended options when you run it

theflatboy
    Free Member

ok i will do that, cheers very much for the help. i’ll get some info on here once i get a chance to do it. 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Try and down load the data sheet. It will have all sorts of info like like temp ranges and other environmental operational factors. If should also have something like read write cycles, failure rates e.t.c. This could all be useful to be able to quote in writing your email.

Datasheet FTW!

TheBrick
    Free Member

E.g. This one shows how many hour on average before failure and warranty info for different drives.

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_barracuda_7200_10.pdf

Cougar

After three months, I’d be taking it back to the supplier.

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers all.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘tech geeks – hard drive bad blocks’ is closed to new replies.