Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 175 total)
  • Team Sky Kit.
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

No worse that the lurid motocross storm troopers using their full face lid to hide their lips going brrrrrrrrm-brrrrrrrm as they roll around trail centres

njee20
    Free Member

What do you mean the race kit’s made by Nalini? Surely the whole point is that it’s Rapha… 😕

nasher
    Free Member

Giant build frames for specialized, santa cruz etc.. lots of manufacturers make stuff for other manufacturers, who makes everything 100% in house these days?

tang
    Free Member

We will be subjected to loads of Rapha films of team sky this year. Disasterous. If its nalani making the kit why not put it out to young british designers to design the kit as a competition. They could even get it made here? I’d see that as a better promotion of a UK based team, whatever that means these days!

MrSmith
    Free Member

What do you mean the race kit’s made by Nalini? Surely the whole point is that it’s Rapha…

Which bit of “the race Kit is made by Nalini” don’t you understand?

MrSmith
    Free Member

We will be subjected to loads of Rapha films of team sky this year. Disasterous. If its nalani making the kit why not put it out to young british designers to design the kit as a competition. They could even get it made here? I’d see that as a better promotion of a UK based team, whatever that means these days!

You don’t have to watch the films
    Disaster? Have you let the red cross know?
    Do you have any idea how sponsorship deals work? Your quaint notions are plucked from the utopian La-la land in your head.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Final word on the whole Rapha thing. For the bull you spout and the prices you charge; give us the real deal.

Buying Rapha? – You’ve been suckered in to the marketing. Well done them and their massive profit margins!

njee20
    Free Member

Giant build frames for specialized, santa cruz etc.. lots of manufacturers make stuff for other manufacturers, who makes everything 100% in house these days?

That’s different, as I read it the inference was that the race kit is being made by (and thus will exhibit the logos of) Nalini, ie the Sky guys won’t actually be using Rapha kit, hence my surprise.

If it’s the case that it’s Rapha products made to their spec, from their materials in a factory owned by Nalini (like the frame example) then it’s still Rapha kit IMO… MrSmith can make himself feel better with the ‘hilarious’ condescending remarks.

Frankly I really don’t care either way, not interested in replica kit, the old stuff looked better, but it’s the epitome of first world problems.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why all the hand wringing over a jersey? Cycling (and other sports) are full of rebadged/rebranded bits of equipment.
    Don’t like it? Don’t buy it then or pledge your doe-eyed support to a team that doesn’t offend your middle class sensibilities.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

That’s funny and original CFH, never seen that before in a Rapha thread. People who care about what clothes other people buy are worse than people who buy Rapha, fact.

smogmonster

STW forumites in snobbery and funpolice shocker. if you like the kit, buy it, very simples. If you dont, then dont. If you want to buy, and can afford a Di2 equipped Colnago or Venge etc, then go ahead, spend the money on what you enjoy. Some folk on here seriously need to get a life.

MrSmith
    Free Member

That’s funny and original CFH, never seen that before in a Rapha thread. People who care about what clothes other people buy are worse than people who buy Rapha, fact.

That’s the added value of Rapha, the consternation of those who don’t own any.

druidh
    Free Member

FTFY

carbon337
    Free Member

No worse that the lurid motocross storm troopers using their full face lid to hide their lips going brrrrrrrrm-brrrrrrrm as they roll around trail centres

Good post ^

On the Rapha thing, why do people get so hot up about the pricing… if its not for you dont buy it, if your poor dont buy it, move along get yourself onto wiggle and DHB. It will look gash, you will think you look good, you wont. Ive got some DHB shorts, thankfully the logo came off so that I now actually look cool, and because I look cool im fast as lightening, boom!

Seriously though, get over it.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Final word on the whole Rapha thing. For the bull you spout and the prices you charge; give us the real deal.

Buying Rapha? – You’ve been suckered in to the marketing. Well done them and their massive profit margins!

Oh narcissistic one, you forgot the nauseating wink on the end of your post. (you know… just to cover yourself)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I think the issue is that even fanbois like MrSmith refer to it as a lifestyle brand, which at least has some honesty about it. I have no issues with buying or others buying pricey kit (my motorbike kit is all Dainese) , my issue with Rapha is the amount of lifestyle BS marketing behind it, rather than the heritage and race-proven design of other brands. Rapha take themselves too seriously as do some of their defenders (and haters) and anything with a strong following and heavy marketing will generate detractors. If you did a Venn diagram of Rapha owners and Apple product owners it’d look like one circle…

Evangelists of any persuasion invite baiting as they are soft targets.

And the question is, is it ‘just’ re-badged, or sub contracted. A high end brand simply re branding someone else’s product (rather than getting it made to their spec as per the Santa Cruz example) is laughable, admitting your own designs and materials aren’t fit for purpose.

Edit for following post; if that’s done for individual rider preference I don’t have an issue, but wholesale re badging can’t do the visible brand any good in the long run when it becomes well known?

unovolo
    Free Member

Halve of the Pro’s gear/equipment is made by other companies and then badged up with the Sponsors logo, Tyres ,wheels,Saddles,Shoes etc.

Pretty certain Cav is sponsored by Nike for his shoes,but Nike have not made cycing shoes for a couple of years now,so are his one-offs or rebranded shoes from another manufacturer?

Spud

Who gives a rats ass about it, if you like it buy it, I do and I do. So what, I also buy other kit, enjoy whatever you like and ride your bike.

carbon337
    Free Member

Pretty certain Cav is sponsored by Nike for his shoes,but Nike have not made cycing shoes for a couple of years now,so are his one-offs or rebranded shoes from another manufacturer?

Not now he isnt at least on the OPQS media stuff produced today, also isnt using his signature PRO line stem and bars. probably as OPQS are using SRAM. No wonder it takes a while to sort contracts for pro riders with massive commercial potential.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve just used a DHB jacket today, far better than the Aldi one I had before.

For the record; I think Rapha gear is pretty good, I recommended it to all the guys that I shot down to Paris and back with, I hate the bull and hype.
    I think people who just go straight to the top i.e the proverbial Colnago with Di2 without having turned a pedal are prats. I believe in a bit of humbleness, an apprenticeship if you like.
    I don’t want to see discs on road and cross bikes anytime (too) soon.
    I can’t abide Strava, but value it’s worth.
    I’m a snob when it comes to cycling, but just because I love it so much.
    I’ll give up my time for anyone that want’s to ride a bike, I’ll sit with them at the back until they get home or spend all day on Go-Ride unofficially babysitting other peoples kids, just in case one of them does actually enjoy it.
    All riders, superstars, poseurs, out and out dangerous idiots I’ll ride with any of them.
    But I have opinions that are founded back in the seventies that’s all.

druidh
    Free Member

Not trying to be funny or owt, but your posts rarely come across like that.

oldgit
    Free Member

Hmm

Well I love bikes, have a fair few, ride em a lot, race em a lot. And do shed loads to help people into the old game.

I really really hate bullshit, I think that’s what it is.

MrSmith
    Free Member

fanbois like MrSmith

Steady on, I like some of the stuff (the Nalini shorts, gloves, baselayers) but am definitely not a fanboy. I’m not even worthy of the ‘works’ special editions that you are ‘invited’ to purchase.

And the question is, is it ‘just’ re-badged, or sub contracted. A high end brand simply re branding someone else’s product (rather than getting it made to their spec as per the Santa Cruz example) is laughable, admitting your own designs and materials aren’t fit for purpose.

It’s cycling clothing, no more no less, it’s as expensive as castelli/assos
    Are you that naive? You have no idea who Merida and giant manufacture for? Or who actually makes those expensive tubeless rims?

tang
    Free Member

I’m well aware how sponsorship works, I am sponsored myself and and know the game between athlete/product/sales. The thing is sky is the top of the tree for cycling, and with that much clout and cash could do something interesting with a clothing company in the UK. Rapha must be loving it. Lifestyle high end paired with pure athletes = quids in. The two things that most aspire to, but never reach; being race fit and thinking you look lush as you pass any reflective surface.

njee20
    Free Member

I think people who just go straight to the top i.e the proverbial Colnago with Di2 without having turned a pedal are prats. I believe in a bit of humbleness, an apprenticeship if you like.
    I don’t want to see discs on road and cross bikes anytime (too) soon.
    I can’t abide Strava, but value it’s worth.

Pot… kettle…

You do come out with some crap! What business of yours is it if people want to start with decent bikes? Jealously.

Must say I like Assos kit (although it was better 5 years ago IMO, but have never tried Rapha, because I’m not a fan of the shit they spout, a friend has several bits though and it looks like really decent kit.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Has anyone considered tat it’s ok to buy Rapha, just because you like it. I’m pretty sure that I’ve liked the look of nearly evrerything I’ve ever bought in some way shape or form. My kitchen looks nice, it’s not just a load of boxes in a pile. My shoes match my coat, I like to buy things from Paul Smith, is it REALLY such a big deal?

unovolo
    Free Member

I cannot understand one of the earlier comments on how its acceptable to wear old/vintage style replica kit but not the current stuff.

Why thats like saying its ok to drive a vintage Ford but not a current one.

Personally I wear what I want which does include one of last years Adidas Sky Team tops,Also have a Nike TDF yellow jersey.
    I’m in no way disallusioned at my cycling prowess of trying to kid people into thinking I’m some sort of Pro(the hairy legs are a dead giveaway) its nice looking gear and beats cycling round in a Man U(insert random football team) shirt.

njee20
    Free Member

I cannot understand one of the earlier comments on how its acceptable to wear old/vintage style replica kit but not the current stuff.

+1

I wouldn’t wear team kit (retro or otherwise), and frankly I’ll judge people who do, because I’m an elitist snob, but I don’t think retro stuff is any better, looks even more like you’re trying too hard IMO!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Has anyone considered tat it’s ok to buy Rapha, just because you like it.

Oh it’s far more complicated than that. How can you be so dismissive of the suffering that surrounds such an epic purchasing decision

oldgit
    Free Member

njee20, everyone should start with a decent bike? There’s decent bikes and there’s decent bikes.
    It’s no business of mine at all you’re right, but they are prats AFAIC.
    Forgive me on being opinionated about certain things.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You do come out with some crap! What business of yours is it if people want to start with decent bikes? Jealously.

He gave his reason and you quoted it

you may disagree with his given reason but to make one up is a bit daft.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Forgive me on being opinionated about certain things.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. Bit odd for somebody who loves cycling so much to dismiss others for feeling the same and putting their hard earned behind it. You have no way of knowing if that di2 was bought on a whim or scrimping and saving, it shouldn’t matter either way.

oldgit
    Free Member

True, but I’ve had good friends go a bit excessive and seen the disappointment when the hard earned didn’t elevate their ability.
    Today I rode with a guy that’s been riding just over a year on a decent Trek, but recently bought a Madone and is over the moon.

aP
    Free Member

Strangely enough, rapha is one of the biggest sponsors of UK cycling.
    Make of that what you will.
    Is adidas sponsoring UK cycling?
    Is Nalini?
    Is Pinarello?
    Is Endura? (Which is all made in china now)
    Is Howies?(china?)
    Is Orange?
    Is sidi?
    Is giro? (All made in China)
    Is fox?(china?)
    Is animal?(china?)
    Get over yourselves. You’re all like little spoilt children.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ooops Dads home.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Strangely enough, rapha is one of the biggest sponsors of UK cycling.
    Make of that what you will.

Their marketing budget is massive ???
    A point confirmed by sponsoring SKY I assume

druidh
    Free Member

oldgit – Member – Quote
    njee20, everyone should start with a decent bike? There’s decent bikes and there’s decent bikes.

That really is one of the saddest things I have ever read on this forum. That it should come from a well-established forum regular makes it doubly so.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Is Pinarello?

Yes. They supply the bikes for regional coaches to use in schools/clubs for getting kids into the sport of cycling.
    The BMX’s are not made by them and the cross bikes are badged ‘pinar’ the kids don’t seem to mind being duped by Pinarello or the Taiwanese bikes made to look Italian. Maybe the adults could learn something there 🙄

ChrisE
    Free Member

Buy cheap Chinese ripped off team strips. Jerseys 20 and fit for the job
    C

bones76
    Free Member

I don’t mind the team kit but i won’t be going out to buy it as i think we all know on here its just for the mass public to spend cash on and we are all entitled to do what we want with our savings, but lets be honest with the year that cycling has had with being in the Newspapers or on the T.V for all reasons good or bad Cycling is now more than ever becoming dare i say it main stream, never mind if you can ride a bike or not everyone knows who Bradley Wiggins and company are now and they want more of them and Sky will give into that Demand, How long before we are being forced to pay for the Tour of France and the rest by having to Subscribe to Sky sports, its coming mark my words…There is now too much money to be made..!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘Team Sky Kit.’ is closed to new replies.