Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Teachers not allowed to have political views
  • paulwf

My wife is a teacher at a state school.

The council have issued a statement that was read out at the briefing today stating:

-Staff are not allowed to express political views on site, social media or in public
    -Staff are not allowed to attend rallies or protests before first seeking permission

She does not believe she has ever signed a contract relating to political items.

Are they allowed to do this? She is going to phone the Union tomorrow, but I am interested in what others think

munrobiker
    Free Member

That’s all a bit

isn’t it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or Mao, Lenin, etc.

Either way, that’s not right. Education should be apolitical, but that should not extend as far as this. Keep political views out of the classroom by all means, but not this.

Northwind

paulwf – Member

She is going to phone the Union tomorrow

Sounds like she might be about to express a political view, prepare the waterboard!

I have no idea of the legality, I’m just going to assume it’s a load of shit, caused by incompetence rather than an evil conspiracy.

schmiken

I believe in terms of professionalism (I’m also a teacher) that my political views are irrelevant to the kids I’m teaching.

However, by being in a position of power, I need to ensure that I don’t sway the kids to one or another political view. I feel its my duty to ensure they make informed, educated and unbiased opinions.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Somebody has objected to someone stating support of UKIP

bikebouy
    Free Member

Seems quite draconian IMO.

Whilst I agree Personal Political Views should be allowed, they should be backed up by Other Politlical Viewponts too.

It’s about teaching balance, let the kids decide thier own Political View based on evidence presented, not by coercion.

paulwf

I can understand keeping it out of the classroom but she runs the risk of falling foul to this if she complains on social media about Academies, Brexit.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Jesus Christ – everyday is getting more like the 1930’s – even if the original complaint was about UKIP this is still ridiculous.

Besides, the most entertaining teachers were always opinionated and would goad us into arguing with them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

1. Seems common sense
    2. Doesn’t

outofbreath
    Free Member

She didn’t see the text herself so I suspect someone has got the wrong end of the stick somewhere. My teacher friends post political stuff on FB all the time. There are countless teachers actually involved in local govt.

rosscore
    Free Member

Very disturbing.

1)The announcement
    2)The fact they felt the necessity to make it.

All Teachers are lefties, always have been always will be, it’s the very reason there are so many righties.

Drac

And your concerns are?

I have the same professional responsibility it comes with being in such a position.

I can post political views on social media but has to be that is such a way to represent my employer or insight such things as racial hatred.

cranberry
    Free Member

Up to “site,” I don’t think that any person reasonable person could complain.

Social media and in public – Hmmmm

Part 2 has been written by someone with not enough common sense to see that it is a) wrong b) utterly unenforceable.

Edukator
    Free Member

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/index.html

paulwf

I agree she didn’t see the message in writing.
    She is going to request a copy, as it wouldn’t be the first time the headteachers has misinterpreted a statement.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Either way, that’s not right. Education should be apolitical, but that should not extend as far as this. Keep political views out of the classroom by all means, but not this.

THIS

I am fairly sure teachers [ true for police and prisons] that they cannot be a member of an “extremist” party

Drac

Judging by teachers on here its far from the case in fact they are some of the most out spoken.

maccruiskeen

Is this a general ongoing ruling or is there an upcoming local / by election and their including employees us of social media as part of the restrictions councils face during periods of Purdah?

express political views on site, social media or in public

What social media exactly? The school’s website / social media or a teacher’s own personal social media account?

And if theirs a restriction on protests does this mean as an individual expressing their own concerns or as a teacher representing their school or profession?

mattyfez

Outside of the school, whilst not representing the school I don’t see an issue but not in the classroom.

Breach of human rights surely? Oh wait, that’s an EU thing, never mind.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Judging by teachers on here its far from the case in fact they are some of the most out spoken.

Extremisists mean the BNP or the SWP – I’m not sure there are any teachers on here that fit that mold.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Certainly shouldn’t be allowed to in school time. But in your own time? That’s taking the piss.

Time to find another job.

Edit: assuming you have political views. Normal, people don’t, so I guess it’s largely irrelevant.

tomd
    Free Member

I’m not a teacher but every employment contract I’ve had has a clause about no political canvassing but it’s bonkers to stop people having a view on it.

ninfan
    Free Member

Teachers not allowed to have political views

Staff are not allowed to express political views on site, social media or in public

Can you spot the difference?

edhornby

I would hope schmiken’s stance in the norm. I also think that northwind is on the right lines, some heads and dep heads can be so risk averse that stated policies like this are overboard, partly arse-covering as well. Asking for the written copy is sensible.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Teachers expressing political views on social media should only be an issue if they are friends with students, which would already be an issue Ninfan.

maccruiskeen

Teachers expressing political views on social media should only be an issue if they are friends with students, which would already be an issue.

Some forms of social media are more visible than others. Facebook has configurable privacy settings but Twitter posts are findable regardless of whether you are friends with / connect to someone.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is a social media issue as much as anything else.

Teachers are people too of course and there might be overlap between social circles of parents and the teachers. A friend of my wife’s who is a teacher has two profiles, as celebrities and one-person businesses do. Overkill? Dunno.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Some forms of social media are more visible than others. Facebook has configurable privacy settings but Twitter posts are findable regardless of whether you are friends with / connect to someone.

Then issue a ban on twitter – not hard is it?

It’s **** ridiculous anyway, not allowed to express political opinions – but totally fine to have religious schools.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m not sure that teachers should not express any political views in school. I think one of the most worrying aspects of our society is lack of engagement in politics amongst the yoofs. When kids asked me my opinions on Brexit I told them. I try to be balanced and avoid talk about this party or that but I dont think I should shy away from showing that I think politics is important.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

+1 anagallis

jekkyl

I reckon your wife should organise a rally for teacher’s rights.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m not sure that teachers should not express any political views in school. I think one of the most worrying aspects of our society is lack of engagement in politics amongst the yoofs. When kids asked me my opinions on Brexit I told them. I try to be balanced and avoid talk about this party or that but I dont think I should shy away from showing that I think politics is important.

You should. I wouldn’t ever express political views at work, or tolerate anyone doing so. It’s unprofessional.

colournoise

Have never seen anything like this in 20 years of teaching. It worries me on a number of levels if true and a genuine blanket ban.

Drac

Extremisists mean the BNP or the SWP – I’m not sure there are any teachers on here that fit that mold.

I’m sorry where did I say they were extremists?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Get the kids to go on strike in support?

scotroutes

What sanction could the school or council apply?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Thread title.

Teachers not allowed to have political views

The details.

-Staff are not allowed to express political views on site, social media or in public
    -Staff are not allowed to attend rallies or protests before first seeking permission

Probably because they go all Daily Mail when let loose on social media.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I doubt very much whether such rules are legally enforcable. We still live in a free country (as of yesterday, at least) where citizens are allowed to express their political views freely.

ajantom

You should. I wouldn’t ever express political views at work, or tolerate anyone doing so. It’s unprofessional

No it’s not , it’s honest. As long as you’re not trying to browbeat of protelyse with your views.
    If a pupil asks me what my opinion is on a political matter I’ll tell them, but in a reasoned manner, being willing to hear their views if they differ from mine. We want to engage kids with politics, not pretend it doesn’t exist!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Teachers not allowed to have political views’ is closed to new replies.