Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • I can't test every bike on my list..
  • marksnook
    Free Member

So as the title suggests I’m bike shopping, I can test one of the bikes on my list, sit on one in the shop and can not test the other couple. What I’m wondering is if it is worth testing the one I can or not? Or should the ones I can’t test be struck from the list?

m0rk
    Free Member

What are the bikes?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Test ride? What’s that? I just buy them… 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If they’re from a niche manufacturer, you don’t actually need to test ride them. They’ll be just perfect, regardless.

marksnook
    Free Member

Process 153
    Bird aeris
    Airdrop edit
    Orbea rallon

I can test the aeris, sit on the orbea. Trying to find a process demo but struggling in the southwest. Currently on a 2014 virus escarpe. Want a more travel and more length (that’s what she said)

steve_b77
    Free Member

I just look for what I want, find one that fits and buy it

DezB
    Free Member

Test ride? What’s that? I just buy them

Then sell em after a few months!

Northwind

I dunno, I’m not sure you can always tell a lot from a testride. Sometimes, sure, but some bikes impress then never get better, some are slow growers, some need tweaking or a part or two to get them great but then outshine the bike that you liked in the test…

cerberus
    Free Member

…and sometimes the first impression isn’t good as you expected and you need some time to get used to it… 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwind seen recently..

marksnook
    Free Member

So that leaves buying the one I like the look of/colour of?!

You guys have made this so easy!

mrhoppy

With full suss bikes shock pressures and tunes can make such a difference to how the bikes ride that it’s hard to get them set up in one ride to really get a feel for them. That’s before you start worrying about all the contact points and things.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Northwind is spot on.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i wouldn’t buy without a text ride. i’ve made a couple of expensive mistakes in the past.

Recently been test riding stuff and imo reviews just don’t cut it. I rode the t130 and didn’t like it. whereas every review loves it. not saying they’re wrong but that it’s very personal.

some of the bikes i’ve ridden were good, but not for me.

Aeris is great though.

I’ve discounted a process 111 on the fact i can’t demo one.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’m in same boat as there is a lot of bikes in my budget (especially sales) but not a lot of places to try them near by!

So I ask loads of questions on here and probably annoy people and become that guy who still hasn’t bought a bike!

marksnook
    Free Member

Well the process 153 was on the list because 2 local shops had one, now neither do! Orbea was added after talking to said shop about the 153. I work in Surrey a bit so should be able to take an aeris for a spin. I’m so bad at decision making!

marksnook
    Free Member

Ha ha I’ve been the guy reading all those posts trying to work out what I should do! Too many choices and all that!

jayx2a
    Free Member

There are more people like me lol! My local dealers have giant, specialized, trek and whyte.

Whyte out of range and the others im not 100% on apart from the stumpjumper fatty lol. But that’s a bad move!

ton

test ride a bike……..chance would be a fine thing. every single bike i have ever bought has been done without a test.
    trying to get a shop to get a xxl bike in, and then set it up for the correct rider weight, is pretty much impossible.

i did manage to get a ride on a very flexy and noisy xl santa cruz hightower a month or so ago. it was a xl which was too small, the salesman, who was 18 decided it fit me perfect.

i have a list or bikes i want to ride, i have been working through them for 33 years now, adding ones i like the look of now and again.
    i buy it, use it, and sell it if it dont suit.

currently got to Jones on my list.

money is for spending, not any good for anything else, bar wiping your arse with…. 😀

nick1962
    Free Member

Get the one with the bearings,bolts and suspension bits that last and are easiest to replace.No test ride will tell you that.

DezB
    Free Member

Ha ha I’ve been the guy reading all those posts trying to work out what I should do! Too many choices and all that
    We don’t agree on nuffin round ere!

jayx2a
    Free Member

I should have just board the Boardman lol

scaredypants

I don’t test ride bikes and that means I’m never disappointed – only really ridden a couple of different FS bikes in my life and nuy one about every 6-8 years, so the new is very likely to be better than the old and I know no better thanb that

what is it again, “something or other and bliss” – or something ?

😳

superstu
    Free Member

I agree that a test ride won’t always give you a flavour of a bike but it can help. Bike fit is very personal so a test can help sizing even if it doesn’t help with understanding how tuning can make a bike better for you.

Having said that I’ve bought direct and from shop, no right or wrong.

I also think there are less stinking bikes than there used to be. All of those on that list seem pretty good.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think test rides are a great idea, but i almost never do them. I’m just too partial to a bargain.

I tend to just swap bikes until I hit a good one. The Process 153 was a very good one as it happens.

What size are you thinking about?

julians
    Free Member

Just get the orbea (rallon owner here)

Test rides on full suss of limited value Imo, shock setup can make such a difference, get it wrong and the right bike can feel truly awful.it takes several decent length rides to get a shock setup right

Test ride is useful to confirm sizing and fit that’s about it.imo

marksnook
    Free Member

Was thinking medium process. Medium in most to be fair. Currently on a 2014 vitus escarpe, want a bit more travel, want to jump and hit drops, just ride all tge stuff i ride now really! want to he able to grind up a hill as well should I feel the need.

Rubber_Buccaneer

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Northwind seen recently

True dat. Test riding bikes is like making love to a beautiful woman. I may be no good at it but I’m having fun regardless 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 8in (and a half) on a large Process. I do have short legs and a long torso though.

The seat tubes are nice and short so you can size up easily. The new models are longer because so many people were doing this.

Drop me a line if you’re interested in a nice secondhand one. Email in profile.

coomber
    Free Member

If an aeris is on your list and you can test it why not do that and worry only if you don’t like it? Problem solved.

Or buy the newer escarpe which is longer than your 2014.

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ so feel the large may just be a little big but this is why I wanted to test! Will have to keep an eye out for one while I’m riding.
    A friend has the new escarpe and although it rides alright it didn’t feel heaps better than mine. I will test the bird as soon as I can bunk off work for a morning.

The Internet is my worst enemy. Reading reviews can’t help! Will the 134 process be enough. How much travel do I really need.i just want to go buy a stanton ha ha

jamesmio
    Free Member

This is easy, test ride the Aeris and, if it fits you and you like it; buy one.

There is absolutely zero reason not to, as it’s a great, great bike. If it doesn’t, or you don’t, THEN keep hunting,

Euro
    Free Member

So that leaves buying the one I like the look of/colour of?!

Yup.

want to jump and hit drops

YOur current bike can do that – unless it’s broken. New bikes aren’t magic

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

You’re right you can’t test every bike, practically. Also a test ride round the shop floor/car park tells you very little.

Unfortunately its like buying a car which is usually the second largest purchase you’ll make, you test drive it for 30mins but ultimately it comes down to reviews, looks and feel.

Living with it is a totally different game and you either put up with it/adjust it or sell and try again.

timber

Think they are worthwhile. I test rode what I thought was ideal on paper, turned out not to be the fit or ride I wanted.

In the end, headed to nearest city with a lot of bike shops for some car park testing as had exhausted local shops range. All really helpful and tried some things I hadn’t considered.

I got a Large Patrol based on testing a medium and a quick sit on an XL Supressor.

Tried L and M Process 153 back to back, would have been one of these to get a ready built bike quickly, but the spec was just too compromised for what I wanted.

Mondraker Foxy was a really good ride, but was advised against for my riding and limited bearing life.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

From experience I would always test before spending. I tried severlw bikes that were really highly rated that just didn’t work for me – ms notably several whyte bikes. Obviously great bikes but for whatever reason I didn’t get on with them.

What is the harm especially if the test day is free?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ so feel the large may just be a little big

If you have normal proportions then I think you’d be safe to buy the medium.

Despite owning one I think I can give an unbiased view on the Process – it’s a great bike, slightly heavier than average, not the best climber but the second-most-fun bike I have ridden (the first being the Process 111).

As an all-rounder I think there may be better bikes – despite building up to a reasonable weight it’s just not a natural climber IMO – but for jumps, drops, smashing turns (as the kidz say) and making you feel like a badass, it’s second-to-none.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Then sell em after a few months!

Perk of the job Dez. I can have pretty much anything I like and loose very little if anything when I sell them. Everyone would do it if they got the chance. 🙂
    That said I’ve had my Inbred for 9 years and the Pitch for 8 years and they’re going nowhere!

marksnook
    Free Member

Had a look at the orbea this morning,it was massive! Reckon I’m on the border line between s/m
    My only worry with the kona is everyone saying it’s not a natural climber. I’m not a natural climber either so would it be a nightmare uphill with my lack of uphill skill?!

chakaping
    Free Member

Some people say the Process climbs fine, I just find it’s harder work than other bikes I’ve owned and I get more knackered for the same amount of vertical ascent.

It’s not appalling though, just off to the poor side of the spectrum a bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘I can't test every bike on my list..’ is closed to new replies.