Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • TdF Stage 5 [Possible Spoiler Content]
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ooooh, can I start today’s thread?

“Like the previous stage, this one takes place entirely within Brittany with the setting on this occasion in Finistère and the Côtes-d’Armor. The stage heads from Carhaix to Cap Fréhel through spectacular countryside, with the final 70km alongside the sea. So, once again, the riders will keep an eye on the wind and be aware of the possibility that echelons might form. It will all depend on the weather, but there might be some surprises today. All things being normal, like the stage into Redon, this stage should be won by a sprinter.”

So, a sprinter to win today?

Loved the final few km of yesterday’s stage. Have really warmed to Thor this year – his ride to stay in touch yesterday was fantastic, as was his offer to take the whole punishment for the “exchange of suncream” on the previous day and his laconic sense of humour is fun. I wish he was a GC contender – seems like a guy I’d like to support.

So will he be in yellow by this evening?

Let’s hope for a breeze today to split the field for the last few km.

rOcKeTdOg

if it stays together i expect Cav to use his anger to either a)win b)crash out spectacularly c)get disqualified

yossarian
    Free Member

Yeah, Thor seems to be a good guy. Nice to see that him and cavendish have built a good rapport.

Realman is gonna be pissed with you 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Realman is gonna be pissed with you

Why so is that because? 😕

yossarian
    Free Member

He’s been starting all the tdf spoilers – until now 😮

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ooops! I didn’t realise 😕

I’m sure he’ll get over it if he is indeed a Real Man™

Do we think this thread will make it to page two without an argument about drugs cheats? 🙂

RHSno2
    Free Member

Was great to see Contador in the pain cave

headfirst
    Free Member

If Cav doesn’t win today then there is a problem at HTC. He’s got the legs, as shown by him recovering from that dodgy corner t’other day to get 5th or 6th. The lead out train isn’t quite firing right yet.

Is it wrong that I’m warming to the God of Thunder so much that I might be shouting for him rather than Cav? Also Thor’s physique is the closest to mine of any tour rider, so him wearing yellow gives me hope that one day I might be passably good at this cycling lark…

Oh yeah, I’ve never seen Contador’s face make those shapes like it did yesterday – very interesting! THIS IS NOT[/u] A CUE FOR THE WHOLE CONTADOR ARGUMENT YET AGAIN

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s possible to like Cav and Thor they are both fantastic riders hell I even quite like Farrar. Just to add to the Thor love-in. Apparently he offered to take the entire blame for the points deduction on the stage 3 intermediate sprint.

If Cav doesn’t win today then there is a problem at HTC.

I was saying this last night, I guess Cavendish’s imminent departure and the teams inability to find a new sponsor for the 2012 season can’t make it the best environment to be in.

binners

When Cav got fifth the other day – did you see the gap he had to close, after nearly stacking it, to finish with the leading group? 😯

If he can deliver that kind of pace with a proper lead out, then I don’t think there’s anyone will be able to stay with him

soobalias
    Free Member

waah wah waaah, they are all dopey druggy cheats so whats the point

😉

im disconnecting the internerd today, i want to watch the highlights without knowing the result – and ive not managed that yet so far.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

When Cav got fifth the other day – did you see the gap he had to close, after nearly stacking it, to finish with the leading group?

It reminded me of his burst of speed on the champs de elysee when the TV cameras were panning with the riders and he appeared at the back of the frame making everyone else look like they were standing still.

fisha
    Free Member

I’d agree with the lead out train comment of htc, it doesn’t quite seem to have the cohesive aggressive approach of last year.

binners

it doesn’t quite seem to have the cohesive aggressive approach of last year.

I reckon you’re right. What we need is some more Renshaw flying headbutt action 😀

headfirst
    Free Member

binners, is there an echo in here? 😉

Me:

He’s got the legs, as shown by him recovering from that dodgy corner t’other day to get 5th or 6th. The lead out train isn’t quite firing right yet.

You, 2 posts later:

When Cav got fifth the other day – did you see the gap he had to close, after nearly stacking it, to finish with the leading group?

If he can deliver that kind of pace with a proper lead out, then I don’t think there’s anyone will be able to stay with him

Hmmmm……

mcboo
    Free Member

Yeh it’s one thing to ride yourself into the dirt when you are a tight little gang with an “us against the world” attitude. Quite another thing when you know your sprinting star and likely his lead-out man are moving on in 3 weeks……

I never followed the Tour at all until last year…..road cycling is a bloody fascinating sport, all these seperate disciplines, races within races, intrigues, odd characters.

portlyone

Didn’t Cav himself note before the Tour began that the team was not as good as those of past years?

binners

Its the sincerest form of flattery fella 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

Now you’re making me blush 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

Have the organisers included more difficult finishes to try and mix up the domination of HTC?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Is Renshaw likely to move across with Cav then?

Reading Ned Boultings book at the mo, really liked the fact that when he interviewed David Miller after the team trial Miller referred to the yellow jumper.

Same as those above, Thor seems like a really good guy & I find myself cheering on him and Cav & yesterday was very impressive from him to hold on to yellow

RealMan
    Free Member

darcy what the actual **** do you think you’re doing this was my thread.

😉

Cav to win, as always. He’s just been suffering with bad luck so far, it can’t hold out much longer.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Is Renshaw likely to move across with Cav then?

Renshaw still has a year to run on his contract so would need to be bought out of that if he were to move. The rumour is that Cav’s going to Sky which does mean that they would have the financial clout to settle Renshaw’s contract if they wanted to.

headfirst
    Free Member

Thing is, though, when Cav goes to Sky where does that leave Wiggins? That’s a big ask for one team to win the Green jersey and seriously contend for GC. Generally teams focus on one or the other not both, otherwise your domestiques will be dead two weeks in!

RealMan
    Free Member

the Manxman has been increasingly frustrated with his salary – believed to be £800,000 a year – which is way below his market value which is more in the region of £1.5-2 million.

😯

psling
    Free Member

I get the impression that this year the other teams are disrupting the HTC lead out train by aiming to get riders between the wheels

ocrider

the Manxman has been increasingly frustrated with his salary – believed to be £800,000 a year – which is way below his market value which is more in the region of £1.5-2 million.

He’s giving up cycling for football?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Thing is, though, when Cav goes to Sky where does that leave Wiggins? That’s a big ask for one team to win the Green jersey and seriously contend for GC. Generally teams focus on one or the other not both, otherwise your domestiques will be dead two weeks in!

That’s the big question mark. It looks like a good deal for Cav, and good for the sponsor but looks like a very difficult time ahead for the management and domestiques assuming that Sky’s stated aim of a GC winner in 5 years still holds true.

jonba
    Free Member

I’m not sure how happy the rest of the guys would be either. I’m fairly certain G will have ambitions beyond domestique. The way he rides now he could be winning a stage fairly soon.

Cav certainly seems to have mellowed out quite a lot since he started as a petulant younster. I think he comes across really well in interviews these days and I’m warming to him.

Thor has always seemed a decent guy and very good rider. He did well to hold onto yellow yesterday. I can’t see him getting green though if he has to leed out Tyler on all the sprint stages. I think Garmin might have lost there chance there by having Thor get intermediates and then not really contest the finish.

Anyway exciting stuff. Much as I’d like to see cav win easily it wouldn’t be much of a race. GC is shaping up nicely but doesn’t really get going till we hit the hills proper.

IdleJon

Maybe they know that stage wins are more valuable (in terms of publicity) than a potential top 10 GC finish.

Does anyone really think that Wiggins is good enough to reach the podium? (And yes I will be happy to eat my words!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does anyone really think that Wiggins is good enough to reach the podium?

I’ll happily eat my words too but I don’t either (assuming you don’t?).

hels
    Free Member

Known as Fwhoarr Hushvod in my house. Woof woof etc. (sorry you can get back to quoting stats at each other now, the lechery is out of my system)

RealMan
    Free Member

Contador was only 6 mins 1 sec in front of Wiggins in 09.

rootes1

came across this Tour GPS tracker..

http://data.srmlive.de/TDF/

only has some riders – but neat

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m gonna stick my neck out and say that Wiggo will do better than last year 😐 ….better than 09, hmmm…..I think he’s in good form (the Dauphine) so why not?

The Schleck boys have shown little promise so far this year – keeping their powder dry??

IdleJon

deadlydarcy – Member

Does anyone really think that Wiggins is good enough to reach the podium?

I’ll happily eat my words too but I don’t either (assuming you don’t?).

Lol. No I don’t.

He lost time yesterday on a 1.8km climb. If he carries on in that way he’ll be lucky to be top 20 after the proper mountains.

RealMan
    Free Member

Cloudy but dry so far.

Breaks just starting.

headfirst
    Free Member

lucky to be top 20 after the proper mountains.

Didn’t one of the pundits say the finish yesterday was a steeper and harder effort (obviously shorter) than in the big mountains? Judging by Contador’s gurning I’d say so.

IdleJon

hels – Member
    Known as Fwhoarr Hushvod in my house. Woof woof etc. (sorry you can get back to quoting stats at each other now, the lechery is out of my system)

Good grief, for a moment I thought MrsP was in the house, and Cipo was somewhere in sight!

She’s also got a soft spot for Magnus Backstedt, but that’s because she got chatting to him at a cross race and didn’t realise who he was until I told her later. HE seems to be turning into a giant skull.

crazy-legs

I’m not sure how happy the rest of the guys would be either. I’m fairly certain G will have ambitions beyond domestique. The way he rides now he could be winning a stage fairly soon.

G (or possibly Peter Kennaugh) will be the Brits to win the Tour in future years. G needs to lose a bit more weight (he’s still pretty bulky for the Team Pursuit), Peter needs some experience under his wheels but when one of them is stood on the podium in 3 years time, you heard it here first! 😉

As for Cav to Sky, that’s still all rumour mill at the moment. There’s no doubt Sky have the financial backing for him but they don’t have the lead-out train to give him wins. Robbie McEwen can win stages by ducking and diving between wheels, Cav is more like Cippolini – needs a good lead out train that can control the bunch.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 5 [Possible Spoiler Content]’ is closed to new replies.