Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • TdF Stage 16 – Six Hours On The Saddle [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

The longest stage of the 2014 Tour comes right up the second rest day. With 237.5 km on the menu and the Port de Balès as a dessert, the riders will spend about six hours on the saddle.
    The last few years have shown that riders who make it to the top with a margin of 30 to 40 seconds can rest assured of keeping it until the finish and taking the win in Bagnères-de-Luchon. The odds are on the attackers’ side, thus. Sure, this does not look like the toughest stage in the Tour, but remember that this is where Andy Schleck lost the yellow jersey due to a mechanical in 2010.

Kristoff is having a great tour, what a great sprint – especially as the sprinters must have been holding their breath for the final 10km.. Very tough for Bauer, just like Martin in the Vuelta last year.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUovSG9AJlA[/video]

Still sprints better than Talansky..

Photos from stage 15.

Stage 16 already! Seems just like yesterday we were all amazed at the fans in Yorkshire and in shock at Cav crashing out on day 1.. Not long to go now. Today? I feel like the clever people would put their money on Nibali going over the top and opening up a gap on the descent – he’s got the skills, and he seems to be getting more and more time whenever he can, so why not? Possibly look for Bardet to try and drop Pinot on the descent again. I imagine all the Trek bikes will have chain catchers this year…

Also we could be in for a great battle Majka vs Rodriguez for the polka dot jersey!

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/yates-heads-home-early-after-a-successful-tour-debutYates finished, a rider to keep your eye on in the future

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/28395620not sure how he finds time to write these…

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/two-more-years-for-martin-at-omega-pharma-quick-stepgreat news I say

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rui-costa-out-of-the-tour-de-france-with-pneumoniapossibly underperformed at this tour, but a shame to see him go

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tour-tech-tyre-pressurean article made for STW?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFiXxta0m6M[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RYBln_Jnas[/video]

They’ll be shouting about motors in the bikes again soon…

granny_ring

Enjoying these threads thanks!

weeksy

world champ out… another one of my fantasy team bites the dust… I’ve had 4 bail now !

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Brilliant race craft from Nibali; keeping an eye out for moves and saw BMC trying to push on, ‘attacked’ enough to drop into their line and p1ss on their bonfire. A rider to watch for the future, I think.

wwaswas

The Orica-Green Edge bus has been back in action;

RealMan
    Free Member

The Orica-Green Edge bus has been back in action;

😆

Oh dear.

swavis

😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This is he first time I’ve been able to open your thread this year Realman, as it’s the first day I’ve been up to date watching the highlights!. I can see majka having a real go today, and Nibali maybe going with him.

theotherjonv

What was Tommy V shouting about? Didn’t see the Dutch fans doing anything wrong (one might have offered him a beer?)

RealMan
    Free Member

It’s all kicking off already..

RealMan
    Free Member

lemonysam
    Free Member

So then, it’s one of twenty one for the stage today. Who’re we thinking? I’m going Rogers edging out Voekler on the run in.

RealMan
    Free Member

Anyone but Voeckler.

portlyone

Rogers because Voekler stops with 3m to go to heckle a fan

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Anyone but Voeckler.

Can I ask why you hate poor little Tommy so much? I know a lot of the Pro riders don’t like him for constantly attacking and being sometimes coming across as a bit rude, but he’s great to watch imo.

winston
    Free Member

Comments on that Voekler vid are ace

RealMan
    Free Member

but he’s great to watch imo.

He’s bordering on not being able to ride a bike – he’s the worst rider to watch. Pretty sure a dog could ride a bike with more style and grace than he can. Add to that the fact that he’s known for being a horrible person and the stupid face and there’s not a lot left going for him..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone but Voeckler.

Second this. The Eurosport commentary amuses me. Sean, who I don’t think likes him much, says nothing while Carlton goes on at length about his love for Voeckler.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Ha, I love the stupid faces. Reminds me of a pug or something. And I love pugs.

mefty
    Free Member

Sean, who I don’t think likes him much, says nothing

He’s just nodding

He’s [Sean Kelly] just never been a fan of the big cycling interview. In his professional days he would often answer questions with a nod. And that was on the radio.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just tuned it. Surprised they’ve let Kwiatkowski get in the break. Up to a virtual 7th now.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Carlton Kirby needs to be applauded for trying every possible pronunciation of Port de Bales except for the right one. Sheer bloodymindedness now as I even tweeted him the correct one espoused by inrng.

And still vastly preferable to Statler and Waldorf and their Book of Hoary Cliches on ITV.

wwaswas

I’ve given up on ‘Whispering Sean Kelly’ – I tend to have half an ear/eye on the tablet playing the race and half the time I can’t hear what he’s saying.

AlexSimon

The ITV4 Player picture is good.
    Add one of the cyclingfans.com streams for the Eurosport commentary and mute the ITV one!
    Although Carlton Kirby really needs to stop trying to tie every sentence together and create cliches out of every situation.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Kiriyenka bringing some real “Sky Train” pain to proceedings, good work!

RealMan
    Free Member

Urghhh can he just crack and fall back already..

llama

new levels of gurning from voeckler today

jambalaya
    Free Member

Quite exciting this climb 🙂

llama

movistar really trying

serpa looking more and more like dick dastardly

RealMan
    Free Member

serpa looking more and more like dick dastardly

😀

Tejay just went bang.

The Schlecks must really hate this climb

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh dear, long way to go to the top for Tejay.

eightyeight
    Free Member

That ‘man in blue, man in white’ bit of commentary was priceless!

No Schlecks left are there?

RealMan
    Free Member

Voeckler nearly falling off there. Just ugly.

DenDennis
    Free Member

my prediction from here:

Mickey Rogers to hang in with Thommy to the run in then go long to take the win 😛

llama

valverde dropped

wwaswas

Press car struggles to stay ahead on the descent 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

eightyeight – Member
    That ‘man in blue, man in white’ bit of commentary was priceless!

He dug deep into this suitcase of cliches there, but he has the advantage of being a former mountain biker so he knows how to descend. It might not be fair that’s professional commentating for you.

AlexSimon

Love these steep descent finishes

RealMan
    Free Member

45mph in the corners? I’m clearly a lot slower than I thought..

AlexSimon

Good that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 16 – Six Hours On The Saddle [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.