Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • TdF Stage 1 – Magnificent Countryside [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Why isn’t there a prologue? Quite simply because we wanted to take the fullest advantage of Corsica, the only region of France that has never previously welcomed the Tour de France. With that in mind, we’ve put together a first stage of 212km that runs through magnificent countryside: we will start off by heading to beautiful Bonifacio! There’s little doubt we will also start with a win for a sprinter. This is a golden opportunity for the likes of Cavendish, for example, to claim the yellow jersey. I’ll remind you that the previous road stage “openings”, at Plumelec and Les Herbiers, finished on the top of hills, which favoured the puncheurs. Here, the advantage lies with the pure sprinters.

It’s time…

Cavendish to be in yellow at the end of the day? Would be great to see. Although I think Sagan would look pretty damn good in yellow too…

Big nerves as always in the first week, let alone the first day, and lots of fresh legs full of energy, with all the sprinters who are gagging for a chance to get in yellow, so I’m expecting some crashes. Also expecting some big moves from the non sprinters in the final few k, although think it will be waaaaay too fast for them to get away.

Photos from last years tour…

http://www.steephill.tv/2012/tour-de-france/photos/

And photos from the presentation…

http://www.steephill.tv/2013/tour-de-france/photos/stage-00/

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-france/start-list
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23096539

I hope you’re all as excited as I am, I have a feeling we are in for a fantastic three weeks. We’ve got around 75 entrants into the fantasy league, so I’m expecting some decent competition there too..

rOcKeTdOg

Hoping for fewer crashes to spoil the run in, Cav has the form, if the bunch stay together could you bet againsthhim?

psling
    Free Member

Has it really been a year, RealMan?!

Would love to see Cav in yellow too and, after winning the Nats he’s on form; but, he often seems to take a few stages before clocking up the wins at TdF. Let the sport begin…

llama

My 2p:

A big crash in the run in and someone luck wins

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

cav for yellow .. lets face it, when he sets his mind to it he’s pretty determined. gonna be interesting as lots of good sdpinters this year and then there’s Mr Sagan to spoil the party. Still – cav’s team fully behind him this year. come on lad !!!

samuri
    Free Member

JENS TO WIN EVERYTHING!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cav in yellow please

mugsys_m8

There’ll be a crash. Cav will be the wrong side of it if not in it.

soobalias
    Free Member

they are off!!!

headfirst
    Free Member

I agree with llama and mugs, crash in last 3k, Cav goes down but gets over the line to fight another day. Maybe EBH picks up the stage win. Hopefully I’m completely wrong.

mattjg
    Free Member

Liking the low key, informative, non-patronising Imlach/Boardman commentary at the moment. Can we keep it that way? No Sherwin and wotsisface please.

soobalias
    Free Member

you want someone to talk for five hours a day for three weeks and not be patronising.

just count youself lucky the bbc dont have the coverage.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Hoping for fewer crashes to spoil the run in, Cav has the form, if the bunch stay together could you bet againsthhim?

Surprised you’re bothering to watch it after your outburst the other day… 🙄

Yawn…

headfirst
    Free Member

Mr Sugars, if you’ve come to this thread to start an argument then you’re not welcome. There are plenty other threads for that.

What do you hope for and expect to happen on le tour today?

allthepies
    Free Member

Perfect weather, open terrain and the Frenchies can’t get cameras to link up to the helicopter 🙄

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mr Sugars, if you’ve come to this thread to start an argument then you’re not welcome. There are plenty other threads for that.

Far from it.

Just showing my surprise..

My thoughts?

Well, I’m only an armchair supporter with no real insight, but I’ll enjoy watching it live next week when I’m out in France..
    But having seen the profile, it’s clearly a sprinters day..

soobalias
    Free Member

cmon allthepies, its the first day, im sure they will get it all sorted in time for Paris

/gitanes

speckledbob
    Free Member

It doesn’t look like the first stage of the tour, more like mid way through. That all going to change though. Last few km are going to be bonkers. Important win for someone today. I’m going for Cav if he can avoid the crashes.

Dickyboy

Just love Corsica 🙂 gf’s parents have a place there 🙂 gf’s brother & family got their request in before me 😥

jsm

[OT] Corsica looks nice. Any recommendations where to stay for me and the mrs? I think I will go there for a week… a house would be cool.

huws
    Free Member

[OT] Corsica looks nice. Any recommendations where to stay for me and the mrs? I think I will go there for a week… a house would be cool.

Have a look at Simpson travel we stayed in a little villa on the coast north of Bonafacio. Corsica Is ace.

Edit: it was this one Clicky

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cavendish to be in yellow at the end of the day? Would be great to see. Although I think Sagan would look pretty damn good in yellow too…

Hedged my bets and put both in my team….wonder which one RM went for
    #studentmancrush :wink

Tours are like buses you wait a century for one win then two come along together.

God I hope Contador does not win [ and schleck and cuddles are rubbish bit that is more for my team tbh

renton
    Free Member

I may or may not have had my head in the sand but can someone tell me if Wiggins is riding the tour this year??

bhmartin
    Free Member

Tuned in on Eurosport and no David Harmon.Three weeks of Carlton Kirby is going to drive me mad.

RealMan
    Free Member

Hedged my bets and put both in my team….wonder which one RM went for
    #studentmancrush :wink

Both… duh 😉

I may or may not have had my head in the sand but can someone tell me if Wiggins is riding the tour this year??

No, Wiggins pulled out a few weeks ago.

soobalias
    Free Member

is my maths right, expecting the finish just before 1600?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

soobalias – Member

I’d doubt it.. They’ve still 64kms to go..

rOcKeTdOg

Teetosugars – Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Surprised you’re bothering to watch it after your outburst the other day

and you are? ah, yes i remember, complete waste of time and space 😐

Teetosugars
    Free Member

soobalias – Member

Haha, oops, my bad… Looks lie you’re right!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Hang glider dingy!!
    AWESOME

RealMan
    Free Member

Flying boat = amazingly insane.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Hang glider dingy!!
    AWESOME

Half expected to see Roger Moor in it!! 🙂

speckledbob
    Free Member

Wingy dingy I think you’ll find.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Wow. Crashed coach at finish line.

federalski
    Free Member

Haha, what a nonsense.

Stoner
    Free Member

holy moo cow!

Someone’s in a lot of poo.

Imagine how pissed off you would be if you were watching along the lines at the finish?

So 3km out finish then?

allthepies
    Free Member

Bus comedy!

tinribz
    Free Member

Let some air out the tyres?

aracer
    Free Member

Surely everybody knows you just let the tyres down?

rOcKeTdOg

have to giggle, bendy finish at 3k to go

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 1 – Magnificent Countryside [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.