Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • TdF – Final Day – Etiquette / Tradition
  • rogermoore

Was that just me, or did the cameras pick up Cavendish eff-ing and jeff-ing to Froome about something then?!? 😆
    RM.

AlexSimon

60km to go at 5:22pm!
    I’ve got to go and cook tea!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Toby Lerone just got a question answered 😆 🙄

birdage

Race might be starting at 2 laps to go. At least he might stop going on the ‘controversial’ glass pyramid. Hasn’t it been there for 25 years or so?

chakaping
    Free Member

Seems like a good time to sit down and watch this.

Come on Sagan!

mt
    Free Member

great team that Sky, crossing the line together with the tossers booing in the background.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well done greipel, decisive finish there.

Superficial
    Free Member

Well that was a boringly predictable outcome.

Greipel to win
    Sagan top 10 but no stage win
    Cav to do a half-assed sprint and look pissed off (his excuses TBC)
    Froome to roll across the line at the back

I did like Coquard’s wheelie over the line, though.

mrchrispy

wasnt there some dude with a big protest sign in the middle of one of the final corners?

slowoldman

What a great bloke G is.

pondo

I think so, and yes.

birdage

Assuming after 3 weeks of gut busting he gets more than a bunch of flowers and a cuddly toy?

birdage

Assuming after 3 weeks of gut busting he gets more than a bunch of flowers and a cuddly toy?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The winner traditionally doesn’t keep his prize money, instead using it to reward his team mates, mechanics etc. Not sure if they still do that, but I suspect Sky will have sorted him out. Maybe a free movie package upgrade 😉

pondo

Does he keep the lion, though? And does he get a new one each day in yellow, or do they just have the one throughout?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

That bloke on the wiggle ad looks like a sex offender.

slowoldman

He gets a new jersey and lion for each day he stays in the lead.

See photo below of Wiggo’s son with all his lions.

senorj

George Osbourne on the podium has ruined the whole tour for me…

aracer
    Free Member

Disappointing result for Sagan. Didn’t manage to come 2nd.

convert

What a great bloke G is.

Do you know him personally? Always sounds a bit weird/sycophantic when people who don’t know famous people use name shortenings like that.

That is a brilliant photo though so you’re forgiven!

atlaz
    Free Member

Does he keep the lion, though? And does he get a new one each day in yellow, or do they just have the one throughout?

New lion each day and I’d guess after Froome gives the other guys the official prize money, he wanders back to Monaco with a 6 or 7 figure sum anyway for his work over the last few weeks (plus training obv.)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

He gets a new jersey and lion for each day he stays in the lead.

is that because the spit and piss stains don’t always come out in the wash

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you know him personally? Always sounds a bit weird/sycophantic when people who don’t know famous people use name shortenings like that.

Seriously?

Do you find it odd when people write “Becks”, “Gazza” or “Wiggo” too?

Obviously nobody has ever written “Froome-dog” in a non-mocking manner, so that one’s probably not an issue.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Funnily enough I did say ‘Yay Froomedog!’ yesterday in a non ironic manner. Boy done good.

convert

Yep seriously. Bet you do it too don’t you?

Becks,Wiggo and Gazza (and Cav too) are derivatives of their surnames – the names most “fans” know them by. It’s not the name theirs wives would know them by. Would you refer to the above as David, Bradley, Paul or Mark in conversations about them down the pub? It’s just too matey and try hard for someone you have never met and will never be your friend. Shortening it down to D, B, P, M or indeed G is worse.

The reason it has started amongst (some) fans is he was referred to a “G” by a teammate in an interview. A teammate, a friend- someone who he does go down the pub with. Not a fan. To me (but clearly not you) it’s cringeworthy coming from the mouth of a fan – like someone who wants to sound like a bosom buddy when they clearly are not.

chakaping
    Free Member

I stand corrected.

Do you work for Team Sky and it’s in your contract that you have to call him that?

MSP

G is just easier than spelling his first name, and Gee is already taken by spock.

convert

MSP – I suspect you are right – English folk seem to struggle with spelling “Geraint” for some reason.

convert

Chakaping – clearly not. But by coincidence I have met him – I’m not his mate so I called him Geraint.

chakaping
    Free Member

Chakaping – clearly not. But by coincidence I have met him – I’m not his mate so I called him Geraint.

I was replying to eddiebaby.

I wouldn’t call him G in person either, or Gazza, Becks etc – for the same reason as you.

Public discussion is another matter though. And he has hardly been discouraging it…

aracer
    Free Member

Do you know him personally? Always sounds a bit weird/sycophantic when people who don’t know famous people use name shortenings like that.[/quote]

I shouldn’t think most famous people would be at all bothered by it – I’ll ask Liam or Tracy next time I see them. However I expect G would be pissing himself if he read this thread (based purely on his public persona – but it can’t possibly all be an act).

thegreatape
    Free Member

I used to play rugby with a chap called Geraint. It would appear that its pronounced ‘Grunt’.

I would like to see those moaning about the use of ‘G’ call George Atherton by his proper name, and see how that goes 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm.. what a strange turn this thread has taken.

😕

thegreatape
    Free Member

Tradition innit

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@chapaking
    Nah, I just like the guy and thought “well done Mr Froome” sounded a bit distanced from the excitement I felt at the time.

slowoldman

Convert, do you mind if I call you “C”?

mt
    Free Member

What that”C” short for?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The winner traditionally doesn’t keep his prize money, instead using it to reward his team mates, mechanics etc. Not sure if they still do that, but I suspect Sky will have sorted him out.

Wiggo 😉 “forgetting” to pay Froome his share of his 2012 winnings was a factor in their poor relationship, apparently.

I’ve met Thomas when he’s been sufficiently drunk that I know his PIN number, but I still wouldn’t call him G to his face.

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘TdF – Final Day – Etiquette / Tradition’ is closed to new replies.