Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • TdF – Final Day – Etiquette / Tradition
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I can’t see Cav going for that one though

His reaction after 4 days trying to make the time cut through the alps would make for great TV.

mefty
    Free Member

Tradition is overrated – 1979 Tour

Before the last stage, Hinault had an advantage of more than three minutes on Zoetemelk, and almost 25 minutes on the next cyclists. Traditionally, the last stage is run at a slow pace, because the winners are already known. But Zoetemelk attacked, and Hinault chased him. Together they stayed away from the rest, and Hinault beat Zoetemelk in the sprint, winning his seventh stage of the race

sputnik
    Free Member

Pissing down in Paris as we speak. Women’s race is on Itv4 now and there has been a big crash on the wet cobbles.

martinhutch

After the way that Sky have been treated on this tour by a minority of the French press and public, Froome will probably get Porte to check his champagne for piss before he sups it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hinault had an advantage of more than three minutes on Zoetemelk, and almost 25 minutes on the next cyclists

I love how folk say the performances today suggest drug use. They are tiny in comparison to the good old days!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

As the sprinters have had to haul their sorry backsides over the alps for the last four days, the very least they deserve is a day in the spotlight again in Paris.

sputnik
    Free Member

Carnage in Paris, been watching the women’s race for 30 minutes and there’s been about 5 crashes already. Fingers crossed it clears up and dries out before the big boys roll into town.

cheers_drive

What would happen is Froome has a mechanical or with only 2K to go, would Quintana be compelled to stop and wait?

sputnik
    Free Member

Froome will still win, if you crash or have a mechanical in the last 3km you get the same time as every else that finished.
    Outside the 3km it could potentially cost him the Tour.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The traditions suck and rob us of great racing. Sean Kelly said during his Eurosport commentary “Nibali was right to attack”

I think it’s right if it’s down to misfortune out of your control – Evans puncturing due to tacks on the road, Wiggins slowed the field down (except for Rolland who didn’t realise). Lance got yanked off the bike by a spectator’s musette and they waited for him (and he then rode straight past them, he never did have any class).

In the Contador/Mandy Schleck scenario I was all for contador; Mandy fluffed a gear change, went small-small and dropped the chain so some rider error, and manufacturers make big claims (having spent big $$$ sponsoring pro teams) about their kit, so the technology is just as relevant. They’re not all riding around on standardised bikes and kit.

In the Froome/Nibali scenario, if that fugly Pinerello struggles to clear stones then tough luck, but Nibbles gave credibility to the idea of their being an unwritten rule by saying “I didn’t see him, it’s his word against mine, not saying any more so ner ner”, when he should have said “I’d always planned to attack to win a stage to save my tour, I’m no threat to his GC position, so why the hell wouldn’t I attack then?!”.

Nibali’s problem is also that he already proved he was a classless git by throwing a water bottle at Froome when Tony Martin caused a crash.

convert

Not sure the rule applies to a mechanical. I think it’s only a crash.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The womens race is carnage.

CaptJon
    Free Member

If it doesn’t get any drier, the rain could have the biggest say in the result of today’s stage.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tour de France: Police fire at car in Paris square ahead of race
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33668196

sputnik
    Free Member

Car in Paris bin dun.

Superficial
    Free Member

If you were Peter Sagan, how would you ride today? Him winning on the Champs Elysees would be epic and somewhat fitting for a rider who had dominated the green jersey for so long. But I don’t see him winning a straight sprint over the likes of Cav, Greipel, Degenkolb etc. Mini break in the last lap and Sagan to just hold on for the win?! I’d love to see it – although can’t really see it. He’s got to be thinking of something though, right?

sputnik
    Free Member

Parisian roads are still wetter than an otter’s pocket so there is a chance that we won’t have a normal day for the sprinters…
    Would be epic if Sagan wins!
    In the women’s race there is a solo attack with 3km to go, it’s is 1km to go and lead is 7sec! And another crash!

sputnik
    Free Member

And she wins!! Solo break from 3km, sounds like a Sagan type move!
    Edit, listening to commentators she went from 6km!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

According to the rule book the result is effectively taken as the first time they cross the line in the event of a wet Champs Elysees. Riders still have to finish the whole ten circuits though.

In that case we could be treated to Sky crossing en masse on the first circuit and then just free pedalling around at the back drinking champgane and finishing two circuits down on the rest of the field!

I should think they will stay well off the barriers and out of gobbing distance too. 🙂

shedfull
    Free Member

My prediction for “organic material hitting Froome” today is dog turd. There’s a huge amount of it in Paris.

martinhutch

Why are ITV4 not showing it?

EDIT: Ta sputnik

sputnik
    Free Member

They show it from 4pm. Race started later as well so they hit Paris late afternoon so the celebrations look better in a lit up Paris. Race starting 3:30

aracer
    Free Member

Which has also removed some of the doubt by association over Nibbles – clearly he’s not fully signed up to the system.

As for Froome, I really don’t think that his overall performance (fantastic though it’s been) justified the level of speculation/ire that we’re seeing. He’s looked nigh-on human in the last couple of stages.

Ah, but is it a deliberate ploy to look fallible to deflect some of the flak, when he’s actually had plenty in reserve if necessary 😈

sputnik
    Free Member

Agree with aracer, Froome sandbagged the last couple of days to calm the speculation down. He could have ripped the legs of Quintana two days in a row if he wanted to.
    He is still clean though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Agree with aracer, Froome sandbagged the last couple of days to calm the speculation down. He could have ripped the legs of Quintana two days in a row if he wanted to.

did you watch it? he was struggling, Porte dragged him up that last climb and he’s got Majka to thank for taking it up for some reason the day before

nickjb
    Free Member

Has Froome not got a yellow waterproof?

convert

he was struggling

Or is he just better at sandbagging than you are at reading body language?

sputnik
    Free Member

And the coughing after the stages is fake too. FACT

martinhutch

I reckon he just slowed down to attract more spittle and win the sympathy vote.

sputnik
    Free Member

Froomey, not just a pretty face , eh! 😉

Reluctant
    Free Member

Well, I just see Froome cruising around at a sedate pace and Quintana not attacking him. Where’s the fun in that? Why call it a”stage” if it’s just a parade lap?
    I really think that as things are, riders are too easy to identify. Quintana would have a chance of slipping away if he went out in a plain black strip, different helmet, mirror shades ~ maybe even a bit of make up. Ok, his sponsors might not be too pleased about dropping his Movistar strip, but they’d be very happy if he won the tour.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

There’ll be plenty of racing today, just watch the trains vying to position the sprinters for the last lap in Paris.
    None of the GC boys have a chance in the sprint though so they’ll concentrate on keeping out of trouble.
    And if any of them did try to go for a breakaway win to nick the overall then there is no chance that would work due to the aforementioned sprint trains

Reluctant
    Free Member

Not even going to be a last lap in Paris ~ “race over” at 41k. We’re robbed again.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i thought that was going to end in tears then 😆 porte nearly took out froome

brakes
    Free Member

“race over” at 41k. We’re robbed again.

the clock stops but the racing doesn’t. there’ll still be a sprint for the stage win.

slowoldman

Not even going to be a last lap in Paris ~ “race over” at 41k. We’re robbed again.

No. GC race over (which is pretty normal anyway on the last day) but still a race for the stage win – which might be more interesting, since no-one feels obliged to protect the GC men.

cheers_drive

Ignore

PeteG55
    Free Member

Having seen the carnage of the women’s race beforehand, I don’t blame them for it. No one wants 3 weeks of racing to be spoiled by a stupid crash.

imnotverygood

Reluctant, why don’t you find something to whinge about?

aracer
    Free Member

Was just about to ask who is wearing the Maillot Pois, but had the question answered – Bardet it seems as presumably the Blanc is also more prestigious. Has to be kind of strange wearing a jersey on the final day which you don’t then get presented with on the final podium. Does Froome actually get any Maillot Pois to take home as he’s never worn it whilst racing, just on the podium?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘TdF – Final Day – Etiquette / Tradition’ is closed to new replies.