Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • TdF 2nd rest day chit chat
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

With Realman probably still in his pit and without any coverage for him to bother getting up for thought I’d sneak in and start a TdF thread. Take the chat in any direction you like but I thought I’d start with a few points to kick us off.

So who’s gonna win the GC?

Is Voeckler a real contender or merely a plucky trier?

Are the Schlecks right to complain about the boring racing of their competitors or are they just ruffled that what should have been their key stages haven’t been decisive for them?

Given the way the race is going will Wiggins be getting more and more depressed as the tour goes on thinking that this really could have been his year?

Can Gilbert get enough points before Paris to unseat Cavendish?

Will Cavendish make it over the Alps with the time limit?

Will the other sprinters teams accuse Cav of getting a lift by hanging onto the team car up every hill?

Is everybody underestimating Rojas’ chances for the green?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so who is going to win GC don’t care as long as it isn’t Schlecks or Contador! I would love to see Voeckler hold on to it the way he has been in the Pyrenees but is he strong enough? who knows only time will tell on that!
    I think Gilbert will struggle to unseat the green jersey from Cav’s shoulders now and of course he can get through the Alps, he has before and he will do again. If he did come in 1 minute within the time limit the other day wasnt’ this about conserving energy? he doesn’t seem to concerned abotu the Alps coming up.

AS for the Schlecks they need to quit their moaning, tour is all about tactics and doesn’t matter that the others didn’t attack, they don’t need to!! Schlecks have to make up the deficits….uh hello!!!!

As for Rojas, as boardman said yesterday he sits between Cav and Gilber! He isn’t a pure sprinter and will seriously struggle to get over the mountains.

So Cav to win in Paris and take green jersey. Voeckler or Cadel to win GC! MMMM who knows it’s going to be a good one and I’m miffed it’s a rest day today 🙁

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Voeckler or Cadel to win GC

Can you imagine the status that Voeckler would achieve in France if he could pull this off. I guess it’s at least the kind of attention that a British Wimbledon winner would get, probably more.

clubber
    Free Member

I’d love to see the object of my new man-crush (M. Voeckler) win but I just can’t see his 2ish mins as enough with the big mountains looming. He’s never been a GC rider and I expect that he’ll have a bad day or section in the Alps which even if not a total blow up will lose him those couple of minutes.

So failing that, I’d happily seem Cadel Evans win – a good rider, reputed to be clean (standard caveats apply) and imo well deserving.

clubber
    Free Member

I guess it’s at least the kind of attention that a British Wimbledon winner would get, probably more.

Much more. More like winning the football world cup with an amazing solo effort leading to a brilliant goal.

clubber
    Free Member

And the Schlecks really need to sort out their tactics – reckon Basso had it right – ride hard whittle down the group then attack hard with the old Frank/Andy one two. What they did up to the Baille allowed all the less good people (inc Voeckler) to recover between efforts while there were enough riders to take turns in lead the chases of whichever Schleck had attacked.

richmtb

It be great to see Voeckler hang on but you have to think he will lose at least two minutes between the alps and the individual TT.

I genuinely don’t know who will win the GC but it will be interesting. The Schlecks really need to organise their attacks better though. Cadel Evans can afford to just hang in there and blitz the time trial he doesn’t need to make up anytime on anyone at the moment which puts him in a very strong position.

Stand out moment of the tour so far was big Thor winning last week

I think Cav will hold onto the Green Jersey

slowrider
    Free Member

god i hope evans doesnt win! i always remember that brilliant moment where he was posing with a fluffy toy for the media then tried to lamp someone for bumping his mahoosive chin with a microphone. what a tool! (goes off to google links between unneccessary aggression and performance enhancers…oooh what a surprise)

Stoner
    Free Member

I think everyone’s being a bit hard on the shlecks.

There’s lots of miles and climbing still to do. Romantic though it might be for Voekler to win, I still think one of the shlecks will make it*. Maybe with Evans clinging to their wheel but still coming in second (if Frank), or if Andy, maybe he can chip those 9 seconds back off Evans by Paris with some top of the hill sprints.

* of course I mean by the end of the Alps. Which is what matters IMO 😉 Whatever happens in Grenoble doesnt count 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

I would love for Voeckler to win because he gives good interview.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Stand out moment of the tour so far was big Thor winning last week

That was cracking and probably was the best racing moment. For me the standout moment is Wiggins breaking his collarbone. Before the start I fancied him to maybe just about edge the top 5 at best, but given the way the race has unfolded and the way he covered the time trial in the Critérium du Dauphiné I honestly think he would have made the podium for sure and could realistically have won the thing.

clubber
    Free Member

slowrider – Member
    god i hope evans doesnt win! i always remember that brilliant moment where he was posing with a fluffy toy for the media then tried to lamp someone for bumping his mahoosive chin with a microphone. what a tool! (goes off to google links between unneccessary aggression and performance enhancers…oooh what a surprise)

Could be that story or could be that he’d fallen, badly injured his shoulder and the journalist had just leant on it… of course that wouldn’t fit your story so well.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds like Voeckler has been desperately trying to downplay his chances to anyone who’ll listen.

It does feel like the GC boys are just waiting for Contador to do something and seem unable to take the initiative. Maybe doubts over form and unwilling to try anything in case of a counter attack from a sand bagging Bertie. Hope I’m wrong and it all kicks off in the Alps.

Can’t see Evans attacking, reckon he will just try and hang in there and hope for a good ITT. Though after numerous second places you’d think he’d know better. Would be good to see him win it.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s heartbreaking to see all that lovely Alpine singletrack being passed by from the helicopter footage

lunge

I’ve got a sneaky suspicion that Basso might have a shot at GC. He seemed untroubled in the climbs, happy to sit and watch the Schleks playing chicken.

Green for Cav, hopefully finished with a win in Paris.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Was just about to say the same thing, I reckon Basso could be the dark horse for GC. Bad preparation for the Tour due to injury but I reckon he’ll get stronger with each stage. I’d love to see Voeckler take it all the way, though it’s hard to see it happening tbh. Cav for green…unless he really explodes in the big mountains, but certainly it’s his to lose right now.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Basso and Sanchez both outsiders with a great chance. SS would winning would make my day just because he’s properly attacked and made it stick. Not sure if Basso has the acceleration required to make a big gap open up, he’ll need to constantly up the speed until everyone else drops off. Evans has the best chance. Even assuming Tommy makes it through the big alpine stages without losing much time he cant TT as well as Evans.

llama

Come on now everyone: still going on about Wiggins? Would have loved to see it but there is no evidence that he had a podium chance. There’s Brailsford going on about ‘the numbers’, sorry, but that does not really count, he went out way too early to know anything. At this rate it will be the tour he ‘should have won’

Voeckler’s going to win unless someone does something and at the moment the only ones doing anything are Schlecks, Basso, and Sanchez.

Evans and Contador are doing nothing so I’m counting them out until they do.

Schleck didn’t lose that much time in the TT last year, iir Contador only won by the 30s or so that Shleck lost from his mechanical.

BUT Thursday and Friday are going to be epic days, anything could happen.

Stoner
    Free Member

Contador only won by the 30s or so that Shleck lost from his mechanical contador stole unsportingly from shleck’s mechanical

FTFY 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed it so far (as I always do) and I’m enjoying not seeing Lance in there. It’s been a decent free for all race without the normal bossiness and beligerant angst thats prevailed in previous versions. So for that alone it’s refreshing.

So stage wins, the only one I was slightly dissapointed with (can I say that all things consided?) was the Huschoft win breaking Roy and Moncutie, I so wanted a Frenchie to win that one, Roy would have been hailed a hero and if David hadda taken it he too would have been even more reviered.. as is they’ve proven the French have bolstered thier game, satisfied many naysayers (here and in France) in the French Cycling is back to where it should be..
    Tommy V has always been a punchy Rouleur, a guy thats always had a break in his heart, someone whose lived for the realisation of a FRench stage win, to see him in Yellow for this long is inspirational, I would love to see him win GC, would so love that.
    As for the “big” players, the only on I can see now with a hope of winning GC is Cadel. Sucha solid TT from him would take tenacity and I think he has it in him to do that. But in my heart of hearts I’m saying it’s going to be an Andy/Frank 1-2 with Cadel in 3rd. Vockler in 4th and all down to the TT. Andy and Frank will make up the time lost so far up in the Alp’s, Tommy will not be able to attack thereby leaving him open to loosing a couple of mins on the Galibier of all places. If, if, Tommy can just stay with them then he has a realistic chance of a podium.
    As fro Basso and Bertie, even Cunego well I’m of the thought that Basso’s the only one with the ability to catch up, he’s an amazing rider when he’s on form, I so hope he’s able to climb well within the Andy/Frank show for they both will fight to break the others in contention. I don’t think either of them would care if the other won, just so long as it’s one of them and for that reason I’m pegging them for overall.
    As for the other riders, well you can’t deny Gilberts got soul, certainly the breaks and sprints, the digs he’s had have all shown he’s getting used to mass group rideouts and the effort required to win the TdF.
    Best team and supprising one so far are OmegaPhLotto, I mean for a bunch of Classics boys.. quite stunning the output they have given. I’ve been majorly impressed by FdJ too though everso slightly dissapointed by Cassar, ok I know he’s been around a bit but the star have been Roy for sure, I just hope FdJ can keen him from going anywhere else.
    Always been a huge fan of Cofidis, Moncutie being my unsung hero, and it’s been great to see them up there, though part of me wants them to get on with it a bit.
    Sammys win the other day was amazing and it’s a shame his 2nd in the Pyranees wans’t a win, but hey, hero..

So overall, certainly the most entertaining Tour of recent years, closest too in the “no pre ordained winner from the off” format we’ve had in the past. Glad Berties having a hard time (I’m a fan by the way) not so glad Vino went out though, shame that as he’d’ve been a real sight to see in the mountains killing it.

Off to the Alps tomorrow to watch them all, can’t wait.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Basso is definately the dark horse.Voekler is there but or the grace of and has’nt be attacked for good reason.Contador is’nt in the best form….but unfortunately Contador at 90% is still enough to win it 😥
    Its already been said that the new point structure is designed so Cav will win green 😯

MartinGT
    Free Member

I havent seen the last few days as I have been busy 🙁

Cav will get Green in Paris now, Movistar are not as strong as HTC IMO. He has been brilliant so far and I bet HTC (Soon to be announcing their new sponsor btw) are gutted he is off to Sky for the best years of his Pro careeer!

Basso is looking mighty strong, but I got 40/1 on Evans a couple month before the Tour and I have £20 on it 🙂 So fingers crossed. He after AC is the best ITT in the top for sure.

The Schlecks have really dissapointed me on this tour. I remeber when they “won” the Tour for Satstre on Alpe D’huez attacking in short bursts at Cadel Evans. They have seen how weak Contador is and they havent really hit him. I think AC is recovering slowly and this may come back and bite them in the ass!

There is very strong rumours about TV and certain substances, which if true is baaaaaaaad.

Wiggo for me, top 5 in the form he was on, never a podium contendor. Brailsford is just a pupper for BC and his is w@nk at that too.

I think bar one or two stages its been a sh!t tour.

Stoner
    Free Member

There is very strong rumours about TV and certain substances, which if true is baaaaaaaad.

linky or you’re just shit-stirring.

MartinGT
    Free Member

So overall, certainly the most entertaining Tour of recent years

😯

You have enjoyed the high moutains where NONE of the GC riders have attacked each other?

llama

As for green:

I can’t help thinking that pharma-lotto would have green now if they weren’t split between Gilbert and Greipel, or garmin with Farrar and Hushovd for that matter. So Cav has been a little lucky IMO – not the detract anything from him – if he does win it will be well deserved.

Gilbert is at certainly entertaining. ATTACK!

So as above – its Cav’s to loose

Cav knows what he is in for in the Alps now – its his what – 5th tour?, I think he will get through.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d be surprised and disappointed if what you’re implying were true. He’s one of the riders that I’ve always had pinned as clean

molgrips
    Free Member

Is everyone playing their cards particularly close to their chest this year? Or have the crashes messed up people’s game plans?

crazy-legs

I’d love Voeckler to win it. Proper “plucky underdog” stuff of legends.

Can’t see it though unfortunately. All hell is going to break loose on Alpe d’Huez. I’d say so far the attacks have actually been quite clever – gentle probing stuff rather than a Lance-style full on assault on day one. Keeps it interesting, keeps everyone on their toes and that’s more demanding mentally and physically than just being subjected to a thrashing!

The TT is another unknown. It’s a relatively short and pretty technical course and although I don’t think the time gaps are going to be *that* big, it’s going to come down to what’s happened in the Alps and how wrecked everyone is.

GDRS

Re: TV – eyebrows raised whenever a ‘vet’ pulls out a big one in a tour – and on big stages………benefit of the doubt as always unless there is a positive test result.

I would suggest TV’s pee is well sampled after this many days in yellow.

Basso and Evans might turn the tables on the Schlecks if they keep focusing on Contador.

Money on Basso for the stage win into Italy if he can get away?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

CFH: I read the first few pages, the suspicion seemed to be based on him doing well and looking guilty. Can’t be bothered to read anymore but is there anything of substance in those 22 pages?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s a cycling forum on teh interwebz, what do you think? 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Fair point. Stupid of me really.

DenDennis
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned before, what is interesting is that of the big ‘3’, Alberto HAS to attack to get time back. When will he do this? I suspect stage 18 Galibier. If he does it and gets on level terms with AShl then it will be squeaky bum time for the latter!
    If no one attacks on 18 then I reckon there’ll be a token effort by Ashl that gets marked and Cadel will do it on TT.
    OR, has AShl been holding back, for the big dig himself on stage 18???

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Been the best TDF for years. It’s just soooo exciting! I’d like to see plucky Voeckler win, although don’t think he has much chance if the other major players giv it big guns in the Apls. He’s certainly the most deserving so far. Would like to see Cadel win as well. Well anyone expect Contador really 😆
    Cav should, I hope, keep Green jersey. Would be amazing if Hoogerland go the KOM jersey in the Alps!

llama

The big question – if Cadel wins – will he smile or will his face crack?

nedrapier

This is the first year I’ve really got into the tour (a few days off sick gave me the necessary sofa time to get my head round it!) Turns out that people are right, it IS quite interesting!

I can’t help thinking that pharma-lotto would have green now if they weren’t split between Gilbert and Greipel, or garmin with Farrar and Hushovd for that matter.

This is exactly what I thought when I read this (didn’t know he was moving):

Cav… has been brilliant so far and I bet HTC (Soon to be announcing their new sponsor btw) are gutted he is off to Sky for the best years of his Pro careeer!

Cav keeps saying he couldn’t do what he does without the 8 guys in front of him. What’s he going to do when half of his team are looking after Wiggins? Or will he get a 6 man train on the sprint stages and 2 haulers on the mountain stages?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There isn’t any evidence to suggest Cav is moving! He has said all this rumour control and his quotes are things that he said last year! As for Cav “being lucky” there isn’t anything lucky about it. Him and HTC have worked and fought hard for those wins this year. I don’t think Garmin have had troubles either, Thor has admitted and accepted that his pure sprinting days are off and it’s all for Farrar now, however I would’ve liked to have seen more of Thor being a lead out man for Farrar?

As for everyone harping on about Wiggo .. as already said who knows if he would’ve been good in this years tour. yup he might’ve been in great shape and it might’ve been the best shape of his career but doesn’t mean that Schleck, Contador and Evans aren’t in the best shape of their career .. which is potentially better than Wiggo’s! He’s alreayd said he isn’t going to watch or follow it as it will depress him too much.

Cadel looks like golum …still want him to win though .. or at least be up there. Remember peeps he was a World Champ MTBer!

Garry_Lager

I’m a bit sick of those two Schleck Teds looking round at one another all the time. Really want to see Wrathful Alberto bring the pain on stage 18 – can he do it though? Absolutely no idea – he’s certainly not in top form.

Would also like Cadel to win – he’s hard as nails really. His wheel-sucking style used to annoy me, but when you appreciate he just doesn’t have the talent of an AC or AS in the mountain stages, but still has the tenacity to hang in there, there’s a lot to admire IMHO.

DaRC_L

Go Cadel go 🙂 been a fan of the ex-MTB champion for a while…
    anyone other than Dirty Bertie, although I’m still hoping / praying to see him crack big time, just to see the cyclingnews live tracker:
    Contador is goooooooone 😈

Yep can’t see that sharing a team with Wiggo would be good for Cav, a bit like the last olympics really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘TdF 2nd rest day chit chat’ is closed to new replies.