Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tattoos & ‘ink bleed’
  • SaxonRider

I am thinking of getting a tattoo of about 2″x3″ in simple black. The thing is, the image I really want has quite a bit of smaller detail in the form of letters.

I have seen people’s tattoos that, after I don’t know how long, have ended up looking pretty terrible, as the lines have ‘bled’, and the details are no longer very sharp. Is this an inevitability with tattoos? Should I consider a much simpler image, especially in relation to the size I am think of?

What do you suggest, Walking Canvasses of STW?

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Joe Cocker R.I.P 1944-2020ish”

tall_martin

I have a tattoo of a Chinese symbol. Its about the size of a thumb nail.

20 years on, my wife describes it as a space invader.

The shop I had it done at was Bills tattooist- best tattooist in Scotland. Turns out it was false advertising.

Go and speak to a tattooist and ask them. Every reputable tattooist who has seen mine said it should have been 5 times the size.

alanf
    Free Member

I think there is an element of inevitability about the ink bleed and also fade, although I’m sure newer inks are better designed in this regard.
    The last one I had the recommendation is to keep well protected from UV (sun screen or cover), so probably depends on location to an extent.

manic78
    Free Member

Check out the artists work, take their advice, think about placement, don’t go for fine lines, follow the aftercare, hammer it with factor 50.
    I’ve got 10 year old tatts that are near as dammit as bright as when they first healed.
    A lot of sh*t tattoos are to do with after and ongoing care and clients not listening to advice.

tjagain

I look after old folk. without exception every one I have seen with tattoos are a blurry mess. Presumably after 40+ years

bigblackshed

I look after old folk. without exception every one I have seen with tattoos are a blurry mess. Presumably after 40+ years

Mainly because they were a blurry mess to begin with.

Tattooing has moved on leaps and bounds in the last few years. Needle size, inks, understanding of after and ongoing care. Talk to a tattooist, if you are in any doubt then move on to another. But listen to their advice on design, etc. Don’t keep going until someone says they can do it. Get a range of opinions. If most say it won’t work, it probably means it won’t work.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I’ve got lot’s of tattoo’s although all mine are big pieces. Smaller high detail tattoo’s will look rubbish in 10+ years time, especially if they have words in it. Also fine line and dot work will fade a lot quicker than bold lines. I have a half sleeve in fine line and dot work and don’t expect it to last past 15 years.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know someone who does some pretty fine looking work, I can put you in touch.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tattoos & ‘ink bleed’’ is closed to new replies.