Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 603 total)
  • tattoo yes or no ? lol
  • thepodge
    Free Member

I'm simonfbarnes, I know how the quote button works and like to nit pick. Yawn

simonfbarnes – is there anywhere they make you pay for spelling lessons?

Yes, lots of places charge for spelling lessons

how do you identify a tattoo discriminator?

You read posts by people like Shibboleth and try to avoid them however as I don't know who this person is in real life its going to prove difficult hence me putting "but that's not always possible"

I hope you're boycotting yourself?

Why would I boycott my self? I want it removed because I do not like my tattoo, it does not represent who I am now, however I do like tattoos which is why I say I would get another one.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

No CountZero, I was 100% right first time.

Just remembered, I do employ someone with tattoos. The man I use to chase up bad debts…
    Somehow, his tattoos, and people's perception of them does seem to help his work.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

If someone has a visible tattoo and expects to enjoy a career in a professional communications industry without it hindering their employment prospects, then they are stoopid. Fact.

thepodge
    Free Member

Shibboleth – If someone has a visible tattoo and expects to enjoy a career in a professional communications industry without it hindering their employment prospects, then they are stoopid. Fact.

I remember when similar was said about the blacks and the Irish.

Woody
    Free Member

I am however looking to get my tattoo removed. it was a bad idea when I was 17 but I'd happily get another now that i'm (slightly) more mature

I'm trying to make sense of that ! If you mean that you don't like what you had done, why not look at getting it re-worked into something you want now. Or is it too big and nasty?

Chase
    Free Member

like forgetting your own name? or the name of your wife and children?

Madonna and Bart think it's great that 'sunday' daddy has their names on his arms 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

Woody – I'm trying to make sense of that! If you mean that you don't like what you had done, why not look at getting it re-worked into something you want now. Or is it too big and nasty?

my tattoo is big and black, i've asked about cover up and rework but pretty much everyone has said there is very little they can do with it.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Previously on STW…

'blah blah blah bitch blah blah blah moan blah blah blah c@£t blah blah blah individual blah blah blah sheep blah blah blah whatever'

So, in conclusion some people have tattoos, others do not. Some people without tattoos can't stand tattoos whilst others remain non-plussed.

Tea and medals for everyone.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    I remember when similar was said about the blacks and the Irish.

This is possibly the most stupid thing I've ever seen posted on this forum! How the hell can you compare racism – which, as you obviously need reminding, is prejudice against someone based on their birth place or ethnic origin – with forming an opinion on someone because they CHOOSE to disfigure themselves???

Do you understand the difference?

Society quite rightly considers it unacceptable to prejudge a person's capability based on their race.

Thankfully, society still (quite rightly) considers it perfectly acceptable for me to decide that a person with tattoos or stretched ears obviously has very different values to me, and very different values than I'd want to reflect upon my business.

I really can't believe anyone would be crass enough, or absolutely mind-blowingly thick enough to even suggest that the 2 are similar! F*****g idiot!

elaineanne
    Free Member

hey you're live on 'singletrack'…please do not swear! :mrgreen:

thepodge
    Free Member

Shibboleth, I don't want to argue with you as we both probably have better things to do with our time however you are saying that you judge people on what they look like, and assume their values. that is a very dubious area to be getting into

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

its going to prove difficult hence me putting "but that's not always possible"

or even not ever possible ??

… because I do not like my tattoo

non tattoo bearers are accorded the same privilege 🙂

Tea and medals for everyone.

brilliant summary! Now can you do god ?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"Personally, I think anyone that would disfigure themselves with hackneyed clipart, or mutilate their own ears is completely stoopid."
    Define 'stoopid' for me will you? I have a large number of tattoos, all of which I can keep covered when the need arises. I also have degrees in nursing, PSI and CBT. I would suggest, therefore, that I am not stupid, but perhaps not bright enough 'to enjoy a career in a professional communications industry'. By the way, how is the photocopying business these days ? I'm not going to compare your attitude to racism, you just come over as over opinionated with an inflated sense of self.

Woody
    Free Member

The podge

That's a bugger. Painful and expensive to sort whichever way you go 😥

One of the reasons I've never had anything done is that my Dad, who is now 80, said to me in my teens that he was very glad he'd never had one, despite the fact he came from a long line of trawlermen and had ample opportunity/temptation when in the army. I think it was his way of 'rebelling' against the norm from his background.

I think it highly unlikely that I will ever get one now, as the only design that has ever interested me is a thistle sprouting out of my arse. One of the few temptations I haven't succumbed to, I'm pleased to say 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

however you are saying that you judge people on what they look like

actually he's saying potential clients may think that way…

Drac

Predujice

Pronunciation:/?pr?d??d?s/
    noun
    [mass noun]

1 preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience:English prejudice against foreigners [count noun] :deep-rooted class prejudices
    dislike, hostility, or unjust behaviour formed on such a basis:accusations of racial prejudice
    2 chiefly Lawharm or injury that results or may result from some action or judgement:prejudice resulting from delay in the institution of the proceedings

Not acceptable at and especially at work and possibly illegal to turn someone down for a job because they have tatoos.

thepodge
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – or even not ever possible?

no, its not ALWAYS possible. I have avoided people who do not like tattoos on a number of times.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Not acceptable in and possibly illegal to turn someone down for a job because they have tatoos.

but not if you don't actually say that… (pending development of a mind ray)

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

No he's not Simon, he's repeatedly stated that he thinks people with tattoos are 'stoopid'.

Kuco

So elaine you still getting that tattoo 😉

TheDoog
    Free Member

Personally, I think anyone that would disfigure themselves with hackneyed clipart, or mutilate their own ears is completely stoopid.

actually he's saying potential clients may think that way…

No he actually IS judging people.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I have avoided people who do not like tattoos on a number of times.

but you may have just been giving into prejudice when you didn't really know ?

Drac

but not if you don't actually say that… (pending development of a mind ray)

Thanks for that Simon that cleared any doubt up.

Curly68
    Free Member

I can't beleive this has run on for 9 pages! Good reading though.
    I thought the 21st century brought on forward thinking and left predujice behind, but obviously not. I must offend a lot of people whilst wearing shorts and t-shirts at work or at home etc. i have tattoo's on my legs, arms, back and neck. Oh, and I also have a flesh tunnel along with a few other piercings. I used to have five piercings down the back of my neck but they grew out. I will have to dig out a pic of that and scan it in for you guys.
    I am 42yrs old by the way. I have retrained in a different career, hold NVQ's, City and Guilds in a few subjects etc.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No he actually IS judging people.

but I got the impression his personal feeling wasn't necessarily connected to his business decisions…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I thought the 21st century brought on forward thinking and left prejudices behind

you are clearly delusional

TheDoog
    Free Member

but I got the impression his personal feeling wasn't necessarily connected to his business decisions…

Hard to seperate when they are both the same.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Frig me curly, if having tattoos makes me stupid, how the hell do you manage on a day to day basis? 😉

Curly68
    Free Member

SFB – you are clearly delusional

Yep, perhaps I am 8)

kimbers

shibboleth uses phrases like disfigure/ hackneyed clip art/mutilate

its pretty obvious that he is a very judgemental person, of course like any biggot he maintains hes just reflecting the general opinion of society

to an extent he is right we all judge people and based on things that he has said; I refer once again to the phrase he used earlier

And long may it continue. As long as people judge in this way, there will be opportunities for people disciplined enough to play the game.

i judge him to be a deluded, pompus, biggot,

thepodge
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – actually he's saying potential clients may think that way…

Actually HE's saying

Thankfully, society still (quite rightly) considers it perfectly acceptable for me to decide that a person with tattoos or stretched ears obviously has very different values to me, and very different values than I'd want to reflect upon my business.

But hey, lets not get into the fine detail here

but you may have just been giving into prejudice when you didn't really know?

because this might all be a dream

Woody, I'm a bit like your dad I suppose. I guess when I got mine I was rebelling against my family who didn't have tattoos, hence its size and its style, big and bold. Its in the traditional "tramp stamp" lower back so its not something I see every day and so only bothers me a bit. i'm very glad that at the time I didn't get something that I'd see every day

Karinofnine

Elaine – in my opinion, go for it! If I may make two suggestions:

1) don't get something small and apologetic – go large! Take your time, find something that is not fashionable (for that which is capable of being in fashion is similarly capable of being out of fashion), find something that fits you and compliments your body and DO IT

2) Without making any kind of social comment, can I point out that in some jobs/situations it is very handy to be able to cover up your tattoo(s)

Also: Tattoo Convention? In London? YES YES YES!

Kuco

LOL i'll have to tell the counsultant at the hospital I can not see him anymore on accounts of his tattoo he must be stoopid.

thepodge
    Free Member

Karinofnine speaks some sense in a page otherwise full of pointless guff.

I would in all honesty say that if you have to ask they you probably aren't convinced its a good idea as such its probably not for you at this time.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Discimination while disgusting is a fact of life, I would want someone who does the job etc but I know people who wouldn't employ tats, blacks, women and they themselves come from middle class background.

Shibboleth is right you will be discriminated for having a tatt in some professions/industries while others won't care -its up to the employer/HR/mamager if they are impressed or not.

It is wrong to discriminate but to say it doesn't happen is BS.
    Where I work in a established industry/love all around etc and Blacks/Asians and women were the first out during cuts even though they worked harder etc. Pretty disgusted and when I brought it up they said they were making more cuts…so I kept quiet…shame on me.

I don't care what people look like, just their values.

donsimon
    Free Member

How I've missed you Shibboleth, you are such value for money. 😆

Shibboleth – Member

ton – Member

my md always wears a long sleeved shirt, even in the hotest weather.
    never seen him in a short sleeved polo shirt like the rest of us wear.

ton – Member

i think tatoos are very acceptable nowadays, in any walk of life.

I might be missing something blindingly obvious here Ton, but why does he cover them up for work???

Narrow minded customers?

As a businessman, I have to make my business appeal to the widest possible sector of society. I would never lose business becasue a staff member is tattooed or disfigured, but I might if a client took a dislike to the way a member of staff looked.

As a business person, surely it is not a good idea to alienate your tattooed customers by calling them stoopid. As a customer (clients are for professional sevices only) you are certainly losing business because of the way you sound, I couldn't give a f*** what you look like.

Your mind isn't narrow, it's closed and that really is sad in this day and age.

Back to the photocopying old boy!

'kinell, 9 pages! 😆 😆

TheDoog
    Free Member

Pretty disgusted and when I brought it up they said they were making more cuts…so I kept quiet…shame on me.

I just spotted the irony of that statement in light of your forum name…….. i'll get my coat (bloody damn tattoos making me type stupid things……………..)

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Just to clarify, I think that inflicting pain and etching an indelible mark on oneself is stoopid.
    I can cite hundreds of cases, many on this thread, where people deeply, bitterly regret getting tattoos. Ergo, risking doing something that so many people before you have done and regretted, is, in my humble opinion, pretty stoopid.

Doing it when it's widely known that it may hamper your career prospects, is pretty stoopid. Doing it thinking that you can change the world's opinion by proving us all wrong, is probably almost "thepodge-like" in its stoopidity.

That's my personal opinion. Yes, Mitch, I'm sure in some ways you're very sensible and capable, but when it comes to bod-mods, I think you're stoopid. I'm very sensible and capable in some way, in others, I'm stoopid. I persist in riding bikes in the stoopid, misguided belief that one day I might be able to go faster than Andy Schleck, in spite of my child-like lungs and low pain threshold.

My professional opinion is that I would never let someone with tattoos represent my business. Because A) I want my staff to share/emulate my values – after all, that is why my clients employ me, and B) I'm very mindful of the fact that visual appearance is VERY important, and I don't want to employ someone who lessens the breadth of their appeal by sporting visible tattoos.

And no, it's not illegal to refuse employment based on the fact that a person has tattoos. In exactly the same way that I'm entitled to refuse employent to someone because I don't like the way they smell.

As a business person, surely it is not a good idea to alienate your tattooed customers by calling them stoopid. As a customer (clients are for professional sevices only) you are certainly losing business because of the way you sound, I couldn't give a f*** what you look like.

Why on earth would I alientate my customers? I'm happy to take money of anyone, whether they be tattooed, ginger, old, ugly, infirm or those that smell bad. ;o)

Kuco

STUPID

thepodge
    Free Member

+1 for Kuco

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 603 total)

The topic ‘tattoo yes or no ? lol’ is closed to new replies.