• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by typer.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tarting up an Islabike Cnoc 14
  • tomparkin

So, MrsTP found a bargain Cnoc 14 on eBay, and snapped it up. “It only needs some grips and a new chain!” she cried.

It arrived earlier today, and on a brief inspection:

* both tyres are shot
    * the headset is notchy
    * the chain is rusted almost solid
    * the (exposed) handlebar ends look as though they’ve been rubbed enthusiastically against a stone wall
    * the front brake v-brake noodle thing is totally knackered

Hard to gauge wheel bearings and bottom bracket without a bit more dismantling, but they seem OK. The pedals felt OK.

So. I’ve clearly got a bit of renovation ahead of me, and I was wondering if the STW hive mind has any pointers, suggestions, gotchyas, etc when working on one of these?

MrPottatoHead

Can’t help that much, but what did she pay? About to sell well that really is in great condition so wondered what the going rate is 😉

mildbore

All sounds fairly standard, straightforward stuff. I’d also replace brake cables and blocks while you’re at it and set them up to be as easy to operate as poss

k1100t
    Free Member

Can’t help that much, but what did she pay? About to sell well that really is in great condition so wondered what the going rate is 😉

Normally just shy of the asking price for a new one. I can remember selling one of ours for more than we paid for it, just cause the cost of a new one had gone up. Brilliant bikes, bonkers resale value…

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Good condition is around £150 this week. Just sold my daughters in excellent condition. I think they go for a little more if you are prepared to post it.

Rich_s

I flogged mine on here a few weeks back for 85 posted. It wasn’t in great nick but better than what you’ve said. Total cost was £30 over 6 years. Total cost per child taught using it is around £2…

Anyway, your kid won’t care. Chain off, petrol bath, loosen it and refit. Find a noodle in your spares box. Do inners and outers as well making sure you use those end cap things. The grips are tiny – very thin – so either fit some caps or just ring Isla for new ones which I bet are cheap. Put some grease in the headset.

FWIW I’d probably have a look at the hubs as mine were really smooth but overtightened.

Last child on mine was my 3y11m old who went through it in 2 weeks and on to a 16″ Frog. They are very short lived bikes so don’t waste money and (too much) effort on it.

tomparkin

In fairness it wasn’t expensive, the number that springs to mind is 38 quid collected.

tomparkin

@Rich_s yes indeed I’m not planning to spend too much on it. New noodle and tyres (possibly tubes) will be required as I don’t have spares of these. But I’ve got cables and outers, and I’m hoping all the bearing-y bits should be able to be ressurected with a bit of grease and TLC.

Superficial
    Free Member

So I got one in that sort of condition for £15. It was missing a brake, and the drivetrain was all completely seized.

The Islabikes online shop is pretty good – I got a brake lever and some grips for a reasonable price.

Brake cables and noodles were replaced from my garage stock.

The piece de resistance is the ‘98 Deore XT parallel push V-brakes – the envy of all the bike dads I’m sure.

As for the drivetrain and rear freehub, I took it all apart (there’s a split pin for the chain) and did a thorough clean / derust / degrease / regrease and it came out sparkling. I’m really pleased I spent the time.

So basically: give it a clean and see where you get to, then cost up the extras from the islabikes site.

tomparkin

@Superficial thanks for that. For the chain, do you just break it as per normal on the split pin?

Superficial
    Free Member

My one had one of these type of links so you just sort of pry it off with a screwdriver and it all falls apart.

Link

garage-dweller

Deore XT parallel push V-brakes

A set of those were to be found on my son’s 16″ Saracen Bolt for a long while!

Great brakes (for a non disc).

tomparkin

Having mostly stripped the bike down last night, it’s not looking too bad. The worst bits are the freewheel and headset.

For the freewheel it might need a new one I think. It’s a 14T Dicta and rusty/rough. I don’t have a removal tool so might try ressurecting it on the bike first. But if not a tool is a fiver and a new freewheel is maybe ten pounds.

I’m currently stumped with the headset. It’s gummed up and graunchy but might come back to life with a bit of grease. However, I’m not really sure how to get into it! It’s a threadless headset with press fit cups. I think it has either loose bearings or bearings in a retainer but they are beneath a cover I can’t get off. The cover has a little notch which I assume is for a tool but nothing I have helped with prying it off, and trying a flat blade screwdriver to pry gently from the bottom didn’t get far either. Any suggestions on this?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If it’s a notch it usually indicates a screw thread. I have such a tool, I’ll dig out a pic.

typer
    Free Member

I got a cheap Cnoc 16 off here a while back, needed a new chain, freewheel, brakes blocks and cables, grips, pedals, saddle and the bottom bracket needed an overhaul. I think it cost me around 50 quid in parts most of which were direct from Islabikes (pretty cheap for spares). I also had it powder coated, polished up the cranks and fitted new stickers and it’s honestly as good as new 🙂

The lad loves it, though he now wants it red rather the green I had it powder coated haha.

tomparkin

@eddiebaby: thanks, you gave me a steer in the right direction! I tried rotating the cover using the little notch only to realise it was in fact a circlip-style retaining ring. Once I’d prised it out the cover came off no problem and I was face to face with the ball bearings 🙂

Sadly the bottom lot are fairly knackered and the cups rough. I’ve repacked it with grease to get us going but it’s living on borrowed time I think!

@typer
    : I had searched Islabike’s site but couldn’t see all of the bits I was looking for. Perhaps I’ll email them direct and see. Cheers 🙂

scuttler

Isla do their own tyres now in place of the Kenda Block 8’s they used to supply. They’re slimmer than the Block 8’s** which is a bit disappointing especially when you’ve only replaced one (bike now looks like a 69er). Kids like tractors for a reason you know (yeah yeah friction, rolling resistance, weight, little legs blah blah blah)!

** Couldn’t find non-Isla replacements for the prescribed ETRTO anywhere

typer
    Free Member

@tomparkin come to think of it, I’m sure it was only the grips, pedals and brake blocks I bought from Islabikes. The rest was just off ebay (chain, freewheel) and saddle from decathalon. Before and after pics below 🙂

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c8Ur3m1jxRaVm34QA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iTBmj6TYVGVxWtjf6

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tarting up an Islabike Cnoc 14’ is closed to new replies.