Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tape width for tubeless WTB i45 rims
  • avdave2

Looking at the WTB website they say 50mm tape. However I’ve just been doing a little experiment with 50mm gaffer on the rim and it seems a little wide as in it will come up the sidewalls of the rim. Has anyone taped these rims and what width did you use. Rims are tubeless ready so I assume i just need to cover the spoke bed.

whitestone
    Free Member

I thought that you went with the same width as the rim and when you pushed it into the central well the edges of the tape got pulled inwards slightly?

avdave2

I think that’s the idea whitestone but I have seen previous posts where people have found it easier to use narrower tape on other rims.

whitestone
    Free Member

Can you not try with some electrical tape (or similar that won’t leave a residue)? I now use Gorilla tape and probably go a couple of mm narrower than the external rim width, about the same as centre to centre of the rim walls. Worked fine so far, I’ll be doing a CX rim this evening like that – though the electrical tap is probably the right width for those rims 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

I used 50mm on mine

avdave2

Thanks firestarter, If that’s worked for you then that’s what I’ll try. It’s the same bike by the way the Ramin 3+. Evans kept reducing it until i could no longer resist. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Great bike mate. The tyres went straight up on the rims very easy

avdave2

That’s good to here firestarter as it’ll be the first time I’ve tried tubeless. Did you use the WTB tape or something else?

firestarter
    Free Member

Gorilla repair tape and an old innertube valve I cut out of a tube. Went up first time

jameso

https://www.wtb.com/products/tcs-rim-tape :

“What size tape do you need?
    WTB recommends using tape that is 5mm wider than your inner rim width.”

.. pass the 50mm duct tape then : )

scotroutes

50mm on mine. Tyres were a fiddle with a track pump.

It’s almost like the manufactures actually know what they are talking about, eh?

scotroutes

For fiddle, read doddle.

Bloosy speelcheeker

benpinnick

I would (read have) just buy some 30mm tape and do one stripe on the left, one on the right, and one up the middle to seal it all. Job done.

firestarter
    Free Member

Or one wrap of 50mm as I did 😉

Daffy

In my experience, you want the tape just slightly up the sidewall.

avdave2

WTB recommends using tape that is 5mm wider than your inner rim width.

It’s almost like the manufactures actually know what they are talking about, eh

I know what they say, but they only design and make the things, I want the wisdom of the crowd, and not just any crowd but the STW crowd. 🙂

Thanks all.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tape width for tubeless WTB i45 rims’ is closed to new replies.