Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Tandem Tour South West Scotland
  • cbike
    Free Member

Any suggestions for a french couple with a trailer and 3yo? 9 days, leaving from and returning to Glasgow and they’d like to get to Islay and Glen coe. 30 miles per day. Thanks

“As you know, we have 9 days cycling. We’d like to do an average 50 km per day. I think we wil head west to Greenock and Tarbert but then, there are two options :

– We take a ferry to Islay Island, then another to Oban
    – We explore the area around Tayvallich, Crinan, etc. as you suggested, then cycle to Oban

From Oban, again two options :
    – We go to Glencoe, possibly Loch Rannoch, Lyon and Tay valleys (this is what our friends did some years ago)
    – We gently cycle down to Glasgow through Loch Lomond and Trossachs NP

Second option is probably easier but will we miss a lot?!

tjagain

I wouldn’t ride the lochlomndside road if you can avoid it. Traffic is horrendous. Can they ride offroad at all?
    There is a decent sustrans route from Oban to Ballachhulish IIRC. From Bridge of Orchy there is an estate road thru to glen lyon which avoids some main roads. ( not on maps) There is also a good sustrans route Killin to Callender

So I would be thinking something like Glasgow to Callender on road, Callender to Killin on sustrans, road to Oban, sustrans to Ballachulish, Glencoe to bridge of orchy, Estate road thru to glen Lyon. From the Dam at the end of loch lyon South on a wee tiny road to Glen Lochy, back to Killin and return

The climb out of bridge of Orchy is quite steep but its a good gravel road. IIRC

If they don’t want to ride offroad at all its trickier

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Tandem Tour South West Scotland’ is closed to new replies.