Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 423 total)
  • Tally Ho
  • sockpuppet

Makes you wonder how much you can make from 450k subscribers, some advert revenue and a few patreons.

however much it is, Leo has earned every cent!

Years of hard effort, investment in local people & businesses, and hundreds of entertaining videos documenting it all.

Klunk
    Free Member

poly
    Free Member

Makes you wonder how much you can make from 450k subscribers, some advert revenue and a few patreons.

well he has more than a few patreons!  Google seems to suggest 5000+ !!! Each paying at least $2 per video (and a lot of tiers so some paying a lot more.  Even after taking off patreons cut that looks like more that $10K per video.

You don’t earn money directly for the number of subscribers on YouTube, but rather from the ads people watch when your videos play (or a share of premium fees for those dodging ads).  YouTube revenues are a bit of an enigma to understand but a channel like his could probably be making $3 per 1000 watches.  He’s getting 400K+ views per video so is earning over $1000 per video from youtube.

not sure if he has Insta etc too – so could be more £ in total

Given the costs of the project that’s probably not quite as huge as it sounds.

leffeboy

he’s got 3 or 4 full time staff now doesn’t he?  So with staff costs, taxes, materials and rental I don’t think he is raking it in.  It’s clearly a labour of love and fantastic to watch.

Klunk
    Free Member

Sampson Boat Co might well be doing commissioned work we don’t see. (the bespoke door seg has the wiff of a promo)

matt_outandabout

Great last video.

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

spooky_b329

Boatbuilding crosses dot watching!

Just looked through the fleet and Patrick is Duchess of Desire (currently 20th) and Leo is Tally Row (86th). Not sure if there are different classes as the positions seem to be mixed up a little, and there are loads of different style boat icons.

https://www.facebook.com/100064874162987/posts/pfbid02ELNKNqef9ouqS5FienZBkSKvQ3ofeJg2nUc9mUUZcGn5ozyxrGR8MrhVcLzGPJ9pl/?sfnsn=scwspmo

Non Facebook link for the enlightened https://seventy48.com/follow-the-race/

matt_outandabout

Brilliant!

spooky_b329

Some excerpts from ‘About The Race’. Sounds like a singlespeed event!

SEVENTY48 aka 70 miles in 48 hours.
    Rules are simple: no motors, no support, and no wind. That’s right. HUMAN POWER ONLY. Pedal, paddle, or row. We don’t care. It’s up to you. (And this is a boat race. Leave your 10 speed-towing-a-canoe idea at home.)

Race Start: June 2, 2023
    Application deadline: April 15, tax day baby
    Registration deadline: April 30, 2023
    Gun goes off at 7:00 PM, and teams have 30 minutes to cross the start line. (And PM is not a typo. We know what it means and so do you.)

RULE 8: IF WE DECIDE WE NEED TO CONSULT A LAWYER TO FIGURE OUT IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED OR NOT, YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED.

Each team kicks in 100 bucks to the kitty, and it’s pipelined into five prizes:

1st Overall – 50% (aka 4/8th) of the total purse
    Class Prize – 1/8th of the purse

NRS Random Hero Award – 1/8th of the purse and a full Gore Tex Dry Suit. We’ll take all the names of the teams that finish and throw them in a hat. There will be one lucky winner.

Classes for SEVENTY48 are:

Standing Up
    By Yourself
    Facing Forward
    Facing Backward

tillydog
    Free Member

That’s brilliant – thanks for posting!

spooky_b329

Patrick finished #17 at 10:15am Sat
    Leo finished #56 at 8:43pm Sat.

Didn’t expect Leo to do so well considering he was rowing Tally Ho’s nested dinghy, not exactly designed for long distance! Hopefully the race will feature in the next episode.

leffeboy

The capstan vid was interesting but I felt a bit uncomfortable with them putting some much oomph into the presses to free the cap but with zero eye protection.  They are clearly very experienced but it felt a bit weird.  Glad they got it disassembled though

seventy48 is fantastic.  We need more events with a rule 8

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

bonus

Leo needs to work on his sync!

dyna-ti

To me the sound isnt matching the vid. Best example is at 10:21. He’s using a hand plane, stops, but the sound carries on 😕

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

leffeboy

Just finished watching that. Goodness but it’s starting to really look beautiful

dakuan
    Free Member

that deck 😍

Klunk
    Free Member

Twodogs

I can’t help feeling there’s much less effort going into the latest videos. Really hard to work out where they’ve got to now….i know that’s probably cos there’s so much going on at once, but we dont seem to get an up to date overall picture anymore

damascus
    Free Member

dont seem to get an up to date overall picture anymore

He’s trying to put all the process into one video. So this one had all the galley kitchen which took over a year from start to finish.

I also suspect Leo’s time is spent mainly organising, ordering materials etc.

I haven’t noticed a reduction in quality although I preferred the renovation part at the start over the first fittings stage.

Klunk
    Free Member

would be nice to see a catch up with Pete see what he’s upto.

Klunk
    Free Member

bonus vid

elliptic
    Free Member

On a related tangent I had a few days recently sailing round Scottish islands with Luke Powell on Pellew, as featured in several early Tally Ho episodes, and it was completely awesome.
    Pellew
    Pellew
    Pellew
    Pellew
    Pellew

dyna-ti

Pelllew looks lovely. Not dissimilar to a 110 yr old ketch cutter I sailed on a number of years back, although it was a good bit smaller.

I’ve sailed modern yachts and the difference on the hands between modern ropes and traditional ones means gloves are a godsend.

Klunk
    Free Member

she’s for sale if you have a spare £695000 under the bed.

she’s quite a bit more spacious than tally ho

matt_outandabout

£695000

And the same again in running costs!
    What’s that saying – sailing is like standing in a cold shower tearing up £50 notes….?

Klunk
    Free Member

And the same again in running costs!

and the rest 🙂 interesting that Pellew has water tight bulkheads and doors is that something to do with having “paying” crew ?

dyna-ti

What’s that saying – sailing is like standing in a cold shower tearing up £50 notes….?

The saying is actually 20 pound notes, but i guess with current inflation levels thats not far off it.

matt_outandabout

The saying is actually 20 pound notes, but i guess with current inflation levels thats not far off it.

I’m sure the first time I heard it was from Lester Noble (Orange MTB founder) as he showed a few of us his new International Canoe avec da carbonz and glued mylar sails…

dyna-ti

I’m actually wrong. I knew it was some politician who originally said it and it was Ted Heath, and it was £5 notes. Shows how far back it was when five pound noted were considered a lot of money.

I used it in conversation at a regatta and it was later mentioned on the news from the reporter who was at the same table.

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

think this ol’ lady is pretty “tally ho esque” though she pre dates tally ho she certainly been better cared for. She carries a lot of sail for her size so i imagine she’s fun and a handful 😉 She probably in the standing in the shower tearing up £10 notes range 😉 If mother pop her clogs tomorrow I’d be sorely tempted 🙂

dyna-ti

Nice with all the sails up. Gaff topsail too.We had a topsail but didnt really put it up due to the strain on the rig, only ever in the lightest of winds. I seem to remember though theres was another topsail type. Cant remember what Tony(owner) called it.  It was flown higher than the normal gaff topsail.

He also fitted himself a yard for downwind. and I swear we looked like some sort of pirate ship 😆

No idea what became of the yacht. Tony was RN and retired as a commander down to I think Falmouth 😕  where his family were from. Its a recognizable boat. Has a self steer instead of a mizzen fitted for longer voyages.

I’ve looked for it but cant find even so much as a picture, but a lovely traditional boat all the same.

dyna-ti

Vid of Pellew

Sandwich

sailing is like standing in a cold shower tearing up £50 notes….?

£50’s is for off-shore/round the world racing in big boats

Klunk
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 423 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.